Sign in to follow this  

Any chance we have an all-minority Olympic team?

I know it doesn’t matter, just find it interesting that some say wrestling is a racist sport, but some of the best in the country (and world from our country) are minorities.

57: Vito (he counts right?  Outside shot but not impossible)

65: Oliver/Green (I’m not counting Yianni, I think his parents were born here?)

74: JB/Imar

86: Zahid (probably longest shot)

97: Cox

125: Steveson

Edited by 1032004

35 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I know it doesn’t matter, just find it interesting that some say wrestling is a racist sport, but some of the best in the country (and world from our country) are minorities.

Greek-Americans and Russian-Americans are minorities?

2004’s freestyle squads were very diverse.

Abas, Guerrero, Kelly, Williams, Cormier, McCoy

Sanderson was the only non-minority there.

Three of the four women on their inaugural team were also minorities (Miranda, O’Donnell and Montgomery) with McMann the only non-minority.

22 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Greek-Americans and Russian-Americans are minorities?

I said I wasn't counting Yianni but was counting Vito since I believe Yianni's parents were born here too, but Vito's dad at least wasn't.  Admittedly maybe that's a stretch.   

42 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I said I wasn't counting Yianni but was counting Vito since I believe Yianni's parents were born here too, but Vito's dad at least wasn't.  Admittedly maybe that's a stretch.   

Since when are immigrants the same as minorities in this country?  Especially those who came from Europe.  At least for now, that is the definition of non-minority in this country.

25 minutes ago, klehner said:

Since when are immigrants the same as minorities in this country?  Especially those who came from Europe.  At least for now, that is the definition of non-minority in this country.

My history is a little rusty, aren't Russia and some of the former Soviet countries in both Europe and Asia?    Again in the OP I was asking the question...maybe he shouldn't be on the list.

Are actual immigrants not considered minorities though?   I actually thought they were, but I know Vito was born here so that was more what I was questioning.

Edited by 1032004

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

My history is a little rusty, aren't Russia and some of the former Soviet countries in both Europe and Asia?    Again in the OP I was asking the question...maybe he shouldn't be on the list.

Are actual immigrants not considered minorities though?   I actually thought they were, but I know Vito was born here so that was more what I was questioning.

So if a white, English speaking Canadian moved a couple miles south, he would be a minority?

Edited by AHamilton

12 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Seeing as you chose to post in this thread in such a combative way, it seems like you care.  

Ugh...

he is 100% correct...

it is a horrible thread on a topic that is only important if you want to appear “woke” on the facetubes to other 20 year old white girls who know nothing of the world...

15 hours ago, 1032004 said:

We may not even qualify 65.

Child of immigrants does not equal ethnic minority.

That said, if Garrett or Colon can get to 57, perform well at the weight, and stay healthy, either one has a shot at making the team.

There's also a decent chance of an all white Olympic FS team which I think last happened in 1960. 1964 was the first US Olympic team with African-American wrestlers when Bob Pickens wrestled Greco and Bobby Douglas and Charles Tribble wrestled freestyle. Pickens wrestled first, and he also went on to play three seasons in the NFL.