NJDan

Metcalf

I revived my Flo subscription to watch the RTC Cup, but them also watched Metcalf. It's Flo's best documentary in my view. When he was wrestling, Metcalf was great, but seemed like a jerk. The doc rehabilitates him and presents him at peace with his relative failure in international competition. One thing it did not cover was whether it was hard to cut to 143, six pounds below his college weight, to wrestle internationally.

33 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I revived my Flo subscription to watch the RTC Cup, but them also watched Metcalf. It's Flo's best documentary in my view. When he was wrestling, Metcalf was great, but seemed like a jerk. The doc rehabilitates him and presents him at peace with his relative failure in international competition. One thing it did not cover was whether it was hard to cut to 143, six pounds below his college weight, to wrestle internationally.

Guessing it wasn't that hard.  If they didn't discuss it...  And we never really heard much about any cut issues from/about him.

Metcalf was a good doc but I thought the story of Kolat was as good as any of them. Terry was pretty good too and I’m no Hawkeye fan. I wish Flo could do more of these because the stories are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 4awrestler said:

Metcalf was a good doc but I thought the story of Kolat was as good as any of them. Terry was pretty good too and I’m no Hawkeye fan. I wish Flo could do more of these because the stories are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Still need one on Rick Sanders!

A top sports nutritionist tells me that the body rehydrates at the rate of 32 oz. per hour of recovery for the average middleweight.

While achieving 143 may have been more challenging, at the first whistle of the first match, Brent was definitely more hydrated internationally than in college.

All of Brent's college matches were contested with 1-2 hours recovery, while international wrestling conducted the weigh-in the day prior for the duration of his career.

Considering the difference in procedures, most coaches would agree that 149 & 143 are relatively equivalent classifications.

18 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

A top sports nutritionist tells me that the body rehydrates at the rate of 32 oz. per hour of recovery for the average middleweight.

While achieving 143 may have been more challenging, at the first whistle of the first match, Brent was definitely more hydrated internationally than in college.

All of Brent's college matches were contested with 1-2 hours recovery, while international wrestling conducted the weigh-in the day prior for the duration of his career.

Considering the difference in procedures, most coaches would agree that 149 & 143 are relatively equivalent classifications.

The world's now have day-of weigh-ins.

8 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

How are the UWW weigh-in procedures in 2020 relevant to a discussion about the career of Brent Metcalf?

This is the same guy that insists that, because something is a certain way in 2020, that it has always been that way.

22 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

This is the same guy that insists that, because something is a certain way in 2020, that it has always been that way.

I believe they had day-of weigh-ins when Metcalf retired. I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I believe they had day-of weigh-ins when Metcalf retired. I could be wrong.

As of 2017, which was the year Metcalf might have returned , there were day-of weigh-ins: 

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/ten-weight-categories-two-day-format-highlight-wrestling-improvements

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/September/07/Dave-Schultz-Memorial-to-use-new-format-and-weight-classes

On 12/8/2020 at 1:00 AM, JHRoseWrestling said:

Brett was likely  bigger post college. Also, traveling internationally (long flights) can impact hydration, which is critical to control during a weight cut. 

Your evolution of premise throughout this thread is frustrating.  You initial question was whether it was hard for Brent to make 143 during his career-- which I noted that while it certainly would have been more laborious to achieve the weight, due to procedures at the time is was likely no more difficult to actually complete successfully at this lower weight. 

While a discussion surrounding speculation on if the change in the international weigh-in procedures discouraged a comeback from Brent after his initial retirement better suits the points you want to make later in this thread, it is simply unrelated to what we have been talking about.  To cap it all off, you are the one who posed the initial discussion points and chose to disregard accurate and relevant answers.  I don't think I want to play with you anymore.

Edited by JHRoseWrestling
Typo

45 minutes ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

Your evolution of premise throughout this thread is frustrating.  You initial question was whether it was hard for Brent to make 143 during his career-- which I noted that while it certainly would have been more laborious to achieve the weight, due to procedures at the time is was likely no more difficult to actually complete successfully at this lower weight. 

While a discussion surrounding speculation on if the change in the international weigh-in procedures discouraged a comeback from Brent after his initial retirement better suits the points you want to make later in this thread, it is simply unrelated to what we have been talking about.  To cap it all off, you are the one who posed the initial discussion points and chose to disregard accurate and relevant answers.  I don't think I want to play with you anymore.

Oh my, an internet message board did not move in a linear progression. I can see why you are upset. That said, I stand by my initial question/premise. I think it was likely hard for a huge 149 to cut to 143. Even if he did get to rehydrate, he still has to get to 143. I also think it would have gotten harder over time as most folks do gain some weight as they age. Once the weigh-ins became day-of the cut was harder AND he could not rehydrate as much. All of that might have impacted his decision to retire. Tho I would imagine that losing to Molinaro, who he'd handled readily in the past, didn't help.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Duh! But the question for him was whether to continue to wrestle and day-of weigh-ins may have been a factor. Making weight even the day before, I would think, was never easy given his college weight and probably got harder over time. 

He very publicly retired at the 2016 trials.  2017 rules had not come out yet.  

But.. but.. but..

49 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

He very publicly retired at the 2016 trials.  2017 rules had not come out yet.  

But.. but.. but..

Exactly right, AssHamilton. And no one has ever retired and unretired. That has NEVER happened.

On 12/8/2020 at 4:11 PM, mspart said:

That would definitely be worth spending a little copper on. 

mspart

It is amazing how little is known about him even among our small circle of wrestling fans. I was fascinated long before I even became remotely interested in wrestling. He is our 1st world champion and one of only 4 multiple Olympic Medalists I believe. Interesting character and life.

Now that I have had a day to think about all this, I do want to commend NJDan on this timely synopsis and review of the Flo film "Metcalf."  This was an amazing preview by our great Garden Stater!  I feel so honored to be so up to date at what is happening on Flo and in the wrestling world.  

Maybe he can preview those upcoming movies Gone With the Wind and Star Wars next? Should lead to some great discussion!