Sign in to follow this  
FSGR1

Mark Hall?

21 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He's the worst kind of tweener.

Even in non-oly years he has no weight class.

Too small for 79 and too big for 74.

Yeah I don't really agree. 

I bet he has a lot of trouble getting interest though. At least in the case of Dake, who is probably the guy he would like a shot at, why would Dake ever take it? Hall doesn't do much but he could sneak in a one TD win for sure, and Dake is supposed to beat him, so its all downside for Dake. Same with Zahid. 

Imar is retired? 

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

I bet he has a lot of trouble getting interest though. At least in the case of Dake, who is probably the guy he would like a shot at, why would Dake ever take it? Hall doesn't do much but he could sneak in a one TD win for sure, and Dake is supposed to beat him, so its all downside for Dake. Same with Zahid. 

Imar is retired? 

Imar had surgery months ago he will be ready for Trials

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Seems impossible for both to be true.

2 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Imar is retired? 

Sorry gents, I meant mine as sarcasm.

To me Hall is a 74 kegger guy through and through.  He has adamantium bones or something, though.  That and he just doesn't want to cut.

Don't take that wrong, he is good, fast, and strong enough for 79... he just always looks undersized.

Hall is a super high level talent. We are just stacked at 74kg. 

I bet he could do some damage at 79, especially if Dake stays down. 

I bet Hall would’ve medaled the last 2 years at 79kg. Those weights are very weak. Dake is world class, but his whole “not getting scored on” at 79 thing is at least partially due to the weak weight. 

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I bet Hall would’ve medaled the last 2 years at 79kg. Those weights are very weak. Dake is world class, but his whole “not getting scored on” at 79 thing is at least partially due to the weak weight. 

While I agree the weights are weaker I don't think Hall medals.  Heck he was handled by Zahid at 79kg the last time he did senior free.  So in the last two years in the US he's behind Dake, Zahid and you have to put Ringer ahead of him at his natural weight.  So he's at best 4th best in the US at 79kg - I guess you can argue that all those guys are world medalists but I think Hall is the guy a step below.  Could be wrong though, I often am...

7 minutes ago, Gantry said:

While I agree the weights are weaker I don't think Hall medals.  Heck he was handled by Zahid at 79kg the last time he did senior free.  So in the last two years in the US he's behind Dake, Zahid and you have to put Ringer ahead of him at his natural weight.  So he's at best 4th best in the US at 79kg - I guess you can argue that all those guys are world medalists but I think Hall is the guy a step below.  Could be wrong though, I often am...

Ringer was noncommittal when asked about returning to 79 kg and Valencia said his long term plan was 86 kg.  If Dake stays down at 74 then Mark is the #1.

There is speculation that once JB heads to Penn with Hall he'll go 79(or if you're as delusional as Askren, 86).

In any situation I believe Mark Hall will be a top 5 guy, even at 86.  He's a tiny guy, but he would absolutely be a factor at 86 if he were to enter the trials.

18 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He's a tiny guy, but he would absolutely be a factor at 86 if he were to enter the trials.

He would have to qualify first and that would be a big task to get through the US last chance. If he still has the drive to go for it I can see multiple worlds medals around his neck if he breaks through the domestic barrier at 79, but I'm not sure 86 is the place to be.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

He would have to qualify first and that would be a big task to get through the US last chance. If he still has the drive to go for it I can see multiple worlds medals around his neck if he breaks through the domestic barrier at 79, but I'm not sure 86 is the place to be.

Former age group gold qualifies him.

I think?

Edited by nhs67
I think?

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Ringer was noncommittal when asked about returning to 79 kg and Valencia said his long term plan was 86 kg.  If Dake stays down at 74 then Mark is the #1.

There is speculation that once JB heads to Penn with Hall he'll go 79(or if you're as delusional as Askren, 86).

In any situation I believe Mark Hall will be a top 5 guy, even at 86.  He's a tiny guy, but he would absolutely be a factor at 86 if he were to enter the trials.

I have no issue with any of those statements, but to clarify my post wasn't debating about Hall's status come 2021.  I was replying to a comment saying Hall would have medaled at the previous two worlds at 79. 

Edited by Gantry

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

I have no issue with any of those statements, but to clarify my post wasn't debating about Hall's status come 2021.  I was replying to a comment saying Hall would have medaled at the previous two worlds at 79. 

I believe he was a top 6 guy, if you replace Dake with him.  Any of him, Ringer, or Valencia were medal contenders at 79 the last 2 years.

15 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I believe he was a top 6 guy, if you replace Dake with him.  Any of him, Ringer, or Valencia were medal contenders at 79 the last 2 years.

Yeah 79kg was incredibly weak, basically any of our top 5 is likely coming home with some hardware if we entered them. Our top 3 all likely would've won gold.
Hence Dake's "all I see is Bronze" jab being completely overhyped as "Savage" when his world finals match has been Jabril Hasanov 2x in a row. 
It's the kid with 3 guys in his bracket winning silver and taunting the kid who didnt place with 42 at his weight.... bothers me so much

Edited by spladle08

I just re-looked at the 79kg results. 
Dake, Hall, Valencia, Ringer, all had a good shot at the finals. 
A couple of guys from the weight below wouldve also been medal threats at 79kg
Jb, Imar, Massa, hell Nolf. ...  we just had a lot of guys who could've placed. 
Love me some Hall, but wonder if he would be one of those guys better served as a UFC star at this point 

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I just re-looked at the 79kg results. 
Dake, Hall, Valencia, Ringer, all had a good shot at the finals. 
A couple of guys from the weight below wouldve also been medal threats at 79kg
Jb, Imar, Massa, hell Nolf. ...  we just had a lot of guys who could've placed. 
Love me some Hall, but wonder if he would be one of those guys better served as a UFC star at this point 

With that gigantic dome?  No.

He'd be fighting 185 as well, so no there too.

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

He'd have no problem making 170, so I think he'd fight there.

According to many of his interviews he cut more than most of the team for 174 and he hates it.  I'd not assume he'd prefer to cut to a smaller weight class than he hates cutting to already.

OK didn't know that part, but that said we're talking infrequent night before weighins.  If he could make 174 multiple times a week with one hour weighins I would have to think he'd be doing 170 with night before every 2-3 months.  But to be fair only a guess...