Steveson retiring after this year?

And calling out Cassar when the current match to see is Parris.  Not to mention no NCAA title quite yet and end of season still up in the air.   Seems like a premature call he may decide to adjust.  

Is this NCAAs or wrestling in general?  Figured he would go after one big Olympic run in 2024 to improve on his economic opportunity.  

Edited by MadMardigain

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Seems weird if true since he's a true junior, could he be graduating in 3 years or something?

I'm trying to figure out the math with the current weird year. He competed as a true frosh, burned a year last season as well, and this year is a redshirt for everyone. So after the current season, that leaves him with 2 years to compete and one redshirt year (if he chooses to use it) - right?

23 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I'm trying to figure out the math with the current weird year. He competed as a true frosh, burned a year last season as well, and this year is a redshirt for everyone. So after the current season, that leaves him with 2 years to compete and one redshirt year (if he chooses to use it) - right?

See if you carry the 2 and divide by the square root of the total number every other odd number after 5 but before 2204 it is pretty straight forward...2 more years to compete.

12 minutes ago, dman115 said:

See if you carry the 2 and divide by the square root of the total number every other odd number after 5 but before 2204 it is pretty straight forward...2 more years to compete.

Yeah, but I figured if he wants to move on he would like to graduate first, which most people don't do in 3 years.   I could definitely see him leaving after next year, but after this year seems odd IMO.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah, but I figured if he wants to move on he would like to graduate first, which most people don't do in 3 years.   I could definitely see him leaving after next year, but after this year seems odd IMO.

I agree...seems odd.

2 hours ago, grappler6 said:

Hear from Gable himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched that but from what I remember he didn't really give any other reasoning.

The most interesting thing from that interview was his explanation for ducking Parris was that he was on a lifting only cycle and hadn't wrestled in awhile

Win an NCAA title (maybe).....Get a shot at the Olympic team....sign with the WWE for big $...finish his degree while doing his NXT training or whatever that is....continue to make big $.... I'm guessing this timeline is much more enticing than spending another 4 years living on the poor trying to make the next Olympic team in 2025 (if that's the new date). WWE is already promoting his brand (as stated in interview). Will Brock and Shelton mentor him?  

32 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Win an NCAA title (maybe).....Get a shot at the Olympic team....sign with the WWE for big $...finish his degree while doing his NXT training or whatever that is....continue to make big $.... I'm guessing this timeline is much more enticing than spending another 4 years living on the poor trying to make the next Olympic team in 2025 (if that's the new date). WWE is already promoting his brand (as stated in interview). Will Brock and Shelton mentor him?  

Gable is certainly free to follow whatever dreams he chooses. However if he were to choose to continue to wrestle competitively, he would not have to "Spend another 4 years living on the poor trying to make the next Olympic team".  This is  especially true if he makes the 2021 team and brings home a medal.   This is no longer the 1970s or 80s - if he medals he can get substantial income from endorsements and there will be plenty of ways to monetize his wrestling.  Now that would mean forgoing any further NCAA eligibility and it might not be as lucrative as a WWE contract but he could be making a very good living as he trains through the next cycle.   I have no doubt that JB, Snyder, Taylor, Dake and Cox are all doing very well financially as they should be. Guys who have not had the success of that group are making a decent living based off of coaching positions, clinics and sponsorships/endorsements.  

6 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Gable is certainly free to follow whatever dreams he chooses. However if he were to choose to continue to wrestle competitively, he would not have to "Spend another 4 years living on the poor trying to make the next Olympic team".  This is  especially true if he makes the 2021 team and brings home a medal.   This is no longer the 1970s or 80s - if he medals he can get substantial income from endorsements and there will be plenty of ways to monetize his wrestling.  Now that would mean forgoing any further NCAA eligibility and it might not be as lucrative as a WWE contract but he could be making a very good living as he trains through the next cycle.   I have no doubt that JB, Snyder, Taylor, Dake and Cox are all doing very well financially as they should be. Guys who have not had the success of that group are making a decent living based off of coaching positions, clinics and sponsorships/endorsements.  

I would agree to a point.... One of the reasons he would pursue another 4 years would be if he did not win an Olympic gold this time and wanted to give it another go. Otherwise, if he wins gold and has 7 figures sitting in front of him from the WWE why does he continue another 4 years? If he doesn't win gold then I don't see him being quite on the same level as the guys you mentioned, who I agree are probably doing just fine...but they are doing just fine because it's based on them being world champs. You don't see guys who don't make the team and/or don't win world championships with the same brand. Some as you mentioned are probably ok, but many are having to supplement. A majority of guys training for the olympics or worlds have said that it is not the best situation to be coaching at the same time. 

EDIT: the ability for amateur wrestlers to earn a significant payday started well after the 70's and 80's

Edited by Idaho

7 hours ago, Idaho said:

Brock - mentoring Steveson:

"OK Gable, first, don't get a giant penis tattoo on your chest. Second, here's a.....um.....vitamin B injection."

44 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I would agree to a point.... One of the reasons he would pursue another 4 years would be if he did not win an Olympic gold this time and wanted to give it another go. Otherwise, if he wins gold and has 7 figures sitting in front of him from the WWE why does he continue another 4 years? If he doesn't win gold then I don't see him being quite on the same level as the guys you mentioned, who I agree are probably doing just fine...but they are doing just fine because it's based on them being world champs. You don't see guys who don't make the team and/or don't win world championships with the same brand. Some as you mentioned are probably ok, but many are having to supplement. A majority of guys training for the olympics or worlds have said that it is not the best situation to be coaching at the same time. 

EDIT: the ability for amateur wrestlers to earn a significant payday started well after the 70's and 80's

Maybe somebody wouldn't want to become a roided up joke like Lesnar, Angle, and the other WWE guys?  Yes, he will make a lot of $$$ in WWE, but he goes from being professional athlete to dancing around in tights. If it's his dream, then sure he might as well pursue it, but it would be a huge waste of his talent, and disappointing to fans of wrestling/sports.  Like Cejudo or Sanderson walking away way too early.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

10 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Maybe somebody wouldn't want to become a roided up joke like Lesnar, Angle, and the other WWE guys?  Yes, he will make a lot of $$$ in WWE, but he goes from being professional athlete to dancing around in tights. If it's his dream, then sure he might as well pursue it, but it would be a huge waste of his talent, and disappointing to fans of wrestling/sports.  Like Cejudo or Sanderson walking away way too early.  

For someone with the incredible talent that Gable has there may be a temptation to prove that he can be one of the best to ever compete at heavyweight.  I hope that is enough to keep him in this sport and drive him to pursue a place in FS wrestling history. 

Yeah...I hate it when guys choose to make career/life decisions that I disagree with it.  Since I chose to not do something than no one else should chose to do it.  But if they do, I will criticize them to no end on some meaningless forum...yay...look at how important I am!!  <eyeroll>