Steveson retiring after this year?

14 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Maybe somebody wouldn't want to become a roided up joke like Lesnar, Angle, and the other WWE guys?  Yes, he will make a lot of $$$ in WWE, but he goes from being professional athlete to dancing around in tights. If it's his dream, then sure he might as well pursue it, but it would be a huge waste of his talent, and disappointing to fans of wrestling/sports.  Like Cejudo or Sanderson walking away way too early.  

I wouldn't disagree - I think fans want to see him become like a Burroughs and a become a legendary Hwt.  But....it looks as though he is already on this course and barring arrest, drugs, injury, etc. he is setting himself up for a lucrative future. I'm pretty sure that Cejudo doesn't regret his decision. He was the world's best in wrestling and the world's bet in MMA. He is now set for life.

22 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Gable is certainly free to follow whatever dreams he chooses. However if he were to choose to continue to wrestle competitively, he would not have to "Spend another 4 years living on the poor trying to make the next Olympic team".  This is  especially true if he makes the 2021 team and brings home a medal.   This is no longer the 1970s or 80s - if he medals he can get substantial income from endorsements and there will be plenty of ways to monetize his wrestling.  Now that would mean forgoing any further NCAA eligibility and it might not be as lucrative as a WWE contract but he could be making a very good living as he trains through the next cycle.   I have no doubt that JB, Snyder, Taylor, Dake and Cox are all doing very well financially as they should be. Guys who have not had the success of that group are making a decent living based off of coaching positions, clinics and sponsorships/endorsements.  

What's a decent living? How much do you figure Dake makes? Alternatively, what does a guy who is, say, #5 in the U.S., a guy like Nahshon Garrett-- what does he make?

39 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I wouldn't disagree - I think fans want to see him become like a Burroughs and a become a legendary Hwt.  But....it looks as though he is already on this course and barring arrest, drugs, injury, etc. he is setting himself up for a lucrative future. I'm pretty sure that Cejudo doesn't regret his decision. He was the world's best in wrestling and the world's bet in MMA. He is now set for life.

Set for life? Really? How much has he made in MMA over, say, the last two years? And out of what he makes, how much goes to his trainer and his promoter and whatever else?

This is an honest question. I have no idea?

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Set for life? Really? How much has he made in MMA over, say, the last two years? And out of what he makes, how much goes to his trainer and his promoter and whatever else?

This is an honest question. I have no idea?

I saw an estimate of about $2 million in MMA earnings. That doesn't count endorsements and other sources.

3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I saw an estimate of about $2 million in MMA earnings. That doesn't count endorsements and other sources.

OK, if he is smart about his money, he may be set for life based on that number. Of course, the stories of athletes who made much more than then before going broke are legion. Hope Henry is one of the smart ones and that he has a post-MMA career,

15 hours ago, lu1979 said:

For someone with the incredible talent that Gable has there may be a temptation to prove that he can be one of the best to ever compete at heavyweight.  I hope that is enough to keep him in this sport and drive him to pursue a place in FS wrestling history. 

I think that this is why some on a wrestling board have given some negative reactions to his tweet.  The eye test suggests he could one of the best ever, but he is pronouncing his retirement at a time when he clearly hasn't shown that kind of mastery of his craft, with no appearances in an NCAA final or on a senior world team.  And he's calling out a guy who he lost to twice due to mental errors/lack of urgency.  Seems natural for passionate wrestling fans to see a disconnect.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

OK, if he is smart about his money, he may be set for life based on that number. Of course, the stories of athletes who made much more than then before going broke are legion. Hope Henry is one of the smart ones and that he has a post-MMA career,

Worth around $1M

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/henry-cejudo-net-worth#:~:text=Henry Cejudo Net worth 2019,-Advertisement&text=Henry is also an Olympic,to be around %241 million.

I do not get the great hype anymore of Steveson?  I got it before his college career with his HS and Jr world success but now at what 21-22 years of age no NCAA title or no Sr world team member let a lone not a Sr medal's.  Yet people talk about him possible being a GOAT at HWT?  I agree he has talent but I would also say there are 2-3 USA HWT's that could beat him and I would not be shocked. JMO 

On 12/8/2020 at 3:45 PM, Idaho said:

Win an NCAA title (maybe).....Get a shot at the Olympic team....sign with the WWE for big $...finish his degree while doing his NXT training or whatever that is....continue to make big $.... I'm guessing this timeline is much more enticing than spending another 4 years living on the poor trying to make the next Olympic team in 2025 (if that's the new date). WWE is already promoting his brand (as stated in interview). Will Brock and Shelton mentor him?  

I definitely wouldn’t be surprised to see him retire after 2021-2022.   But I would be surprised to see him retire after this year.   That said, if the WWE also pays for college then that would make a little more sense.   Not saying everyone needs to graduate college, but he’s got to be at least half done and I presume he’s going for free.

Edited by 1032004

Everyone implying you can't criticize Steveson's decision because it's his to make is in essence saying they have the right to decide what other people can criticize.....pretty stupid argument. 

Anyone who thinks Steveson is abandoning wrestling and his education for reasons pertaining more to his ego than prudent judgement is totally entitled to criticize him. 

And yes he ducked Parris.  

You have to admit there is a character flaw implicit in skipping the Parris match. 
Its either lack of toughness, cowardice, or arrogance.

Nah I don’t. Tony Nelson was sharing the weight for MN. If I’m Gable, I’m saying “gimme #1. Give me something to prove.”

1 hour ago, headshuck said:

So he overlooked Parris and everybody beats Gwiz now? How could he know?

No he didn’t overlook Parris.  He ducked him.

Not everybody beats Gwiz now, but Parris did, so Gable beating him doesn’t really prove that he’s top dog now