Steveson retiring after this year?

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

So in folkstyle all we have to judge him on is his true freshman year where he got 3rd, dominated the guy who took 2nd, and lost twice to a guy who had a storybook season.   How many freshman heavyweights (true or redshirt for that matter) have made the finals (I honestly don't know the answer)?Dick_Hutton_-_Olympic_Auditorium_Wrestli

4x finals, 3x champ, GOAT hwt.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I think there are some who are, either intentionally or not, taking his comments way to seriously.   Seeing alot of "announced his retirement".  He joked around about next year, it was far from announcing his retirement.  He was doing........well this, getting people to talk about it.  He as much as said it in the context of his responses.  I think we can relax.

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I think there are some who are, either intentionally or not, taking his comments way to seriously.   Seeing alot of "announced his retirement".  He joked around about next year, it was far from announcing his retirement.  He was doing........well this, getting people to talk about it.  He as much as said it in the context of his responses.  I think we can relax.

He seemed pretty serious about it in that interview, but no definitely didn't make it sound like it was a done deal or anything

23 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

He seemed pretty serious about it in that interview, but no definitely didn't make it sound like it was a done deal or anything

I guess different perspectives for different people.  I took it as joking around, having fun with it.  Could be wrong.

19 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Pace to be Hwt. GOAT? Based on what? Junior accomplishments?

Way pre mature for that claim considering he's won zero NCAA's and zero Senior spots, let alone Senior medals. 

Based on being the favorite to make the Olympic team at 20 over a multiple time medalist in addition to the trajectory his junior results indicate. Like I said, he is not the current GOAT. However, it's pretty reasonable for fans to think that if he continues to wrestle over multiple cycles, he would end up the GOAT.

This whole conversation is about projecting the future. Nobody to my knowledge thinks he's the GOAT right now, so bringing up a lack of championships (a little disingenuous because I think we all know he would have won this year) is pointless. It's about, based on where he is right now as a 20 year old, where people think he could end up as a 32 year old. I think it's safe to say, he's the most decorated 20 year old heavyweight in USA history. Hence why many think if he competes long enough he'd end up the GOAT.

5 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Since we are all just joking, if Gable is on pace to be the GOAT then I guess Cassar is a Goat Herder! 2-0 don't lie!

Two great wins and if he were able to continue that trajectory on the senior level (and stay healthy obviously) Cassar would be on a great path towards GOAT status. However, he hasn't been able to do that.

This whole convo is a little silly because it requires projecting these guys' careers 10+ years into the future. Guys like Parris and Kerk are also still young enough where they could end up taking the next big jump and start contending for senior medals soon. Who knows how this group of heavies shakes out in the next decade?

However, I don't think you can say people predicting Gable to eventually be the GOAT is silly. He's pretty clearly on a path that puts him in position to become that if he continues to progress.

4 hours ago, nom said:

Thank goodness. Glad it was a joke.

Having seen the original tweet and the podcast, I don't think it was a joke.  I think he's making things up as he goes along and all of these statements reflect what he thinks at the time. 

No crime there -- a lot of 20 year olds (people in general for that matter) do that, and it can help people find their right niche (in his case perhaps WWE).  Just not a lot, or any, wrestling GOATs do that. 

16 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Since we are all just joking, if Gable is on pace to be the GOAT then I guess Cassar is a Goat Herder! 2-0 don't lie!

Correct me if I am wrong, but has there ever even been a freshman heavyweight champ?  How about a true freshman?  Taking 3rd as a true freshman with his only 2 losses being by 1 point to the eventual champ and a 5th year sophomore can’t really be used as a knock. 

Add In that he was CLEARLY ahead of the entire field as a sophomore.   He was undefeated  and well on his way to his 1st championship. If not for Covid, he should be a 3,1,?,? with 2 career losses in 2 seasons. 

GOAT over all weights?  Nope. But at HWT? Definitely on pace to be considered. With Kerkvliet added to the field, Gable can write his own legacy if he can run the table. 

Edited by MSU158

3 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Yes, Dick Hutton was a true freshman heavyweight champ.

Was he the only one?  That was in 1947.   So that's who that picture was that was posted earlier.   I had seen on wikipedia that he was a 3x'er but not 3 in a row.    Apparently was a pro wrestler also

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Was he the only one?  That was in 1947.   So that's who that picture was that was posted earlier.   I had seen on wikipedia that he was a 3x'er but not 3 in a row.    Apparently was a pro wrestler also

Yes he is the only one to do it.  He lost in the finals (I believe in his junior year) on a referee’s decision.  1,1,2,1 makes him the college heavyweight GOAT.

1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

GOAT? Not even close.

BBB

World and Olympic Medals ONLY

83 B

84 G

85 B

86 G

87 B

88 S

89 S

90 S

92 G

93 G

94 S

95 G

96 B

Well that should settle that.

But can we at least say he is The BHOT - best heavyweight on twitter.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯