Steveson retiring after this year?

20 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

You are projecting again. This isn't about the laundry they wear, its about putting your cart before the horse. 

Once again, you are making an argument against predicting in general. Every prediction puts the cart before the horse. Not sure why you're even here if you don't like that.

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Once again, you are making an argument against predicting in general. Every prediction puts the cart before the horse. Not sure why you're even here if you don't like that.

So if someone predicts a 10&U champ to be on a path to become the weight class GOAT you don't think that would be putting the cart b4 the horse? Where do you draw the line? I draw it at having accomplished something on the Sr. level. 

11 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

So if someone predicts a 10&U champ to be on a path to become the weight class GOAT you don't think that would be putting the cart b4 the horse? Where do you draw the line? I draw it at having accomplished something on the Sr. level. 

Every prediction puts the cart before the horse. Do you think that's a fair comparison?

And you're conveniently ignoring that Gable does have senior level results. He just beat a 2x world medalist. He's been top 2 in the country for 2 years already. People aren't projecting Kerk, who hasn't beaten anybody of real note on the senior level, though his age level results are very promising. Gable has shown he belongs on the senior level. Beating a multiple time world medalist at 20 years old, to me, is enough to say that his junior results have a high chance of translating to the senior level.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Every prediction puts the cart before the horse. Do you think that's a fair comparison?

And you're conveniently ignoring that Gable does have senior level results. He just beat a 2x world medalist. He's been top 2 in the country for 2 years already. People aren't projecting Kerk, who hasn't beaten anybody of real note on the senior level, though his age level results are very promising. Gable has shown he belongs on the senior level. Beating a multiple time world medalist at 20 years old, to me, is enough to say that his junior results have a high chance of translating to the senior level.

Classic Tbar with his last post!  It’s good to have him back!!

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Classic Tbar with his last post!  It’s good to have him back!!

Its apparent that none of the Ivy league folks (and some others) on these here forums ever took a practical Ag course like Horse & Cart.  ;)

Edited by ionel

4 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

His recent win does indeed show he "belongs" and it "translates" alright, but that isn't the same as being on the path to become GOAT. 

27 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

His recent win does indeed show he "belongs" and it "translates" alright, but that isn't the same as being on the path to become GOAT. 

By itself no, but when you add on all the other things he’s accomplished at this point in time that no other HWT had before him. 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

He is, without question based on results, closer to world title level than any other US heavyweight has ever been at age 20. Whether you want to call that "on the path" or not, it is a solid justification for predicting that he will achieve it. Once again, if the result was ensured, it wouldn't be a prediction. You're muddling your own disagreement (that it's unlikely he'll be able to achieve or maintain the success that Bruce had which is totally reasonable) with the idea that that prediction is unjustified.

I’m a big PSU guy, and I have no problem admitting that a) Gable is great b) should be the favorite heading into both OTTs and NCAAs. He’s looking really good right now.

That said, I think Kerkvliet will give Gable a hard time before Gable is done with NCAA wrestling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

He is, without question based on results, closer to world title level than any other US heavyweight has ever been at age 20. Whether you want to call that "on the path" or not, it is a solid justification for predicting that he will achieve it. Once again, if the result was ensured, it wouldn't be a prediction. You're muddling your own disagreement (that it's unlikely he'll be able to achieve or maintain the success that Bruce had which is totally reasonable) with the idea that that prediction is unjustified.

I don't think I have muddled anything. The path to Hwt. GOAT, imo, begins with Sr. Level results. I just don't include his recent dual meet win over Gwiz in the same light as beating him at World or Olympic Trials, which had he done that when he had the chance would at least have given him a Sr. Level result. Then there is the whole thing of matching Bruce's significant medal count. 

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

I know. Not sure if you’ve followed a particular poster’s opinion on this topic.....

My opinion is that potential doesn't yet equal "Path to GOAT". 

Had anyone made some other sentiment that was an expression of potential or excitement I would never have responded. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:52 PM, headshuck said:

Is it possible that Gable has more Senior level potential at his age than any Penn State star has ever had?

If you are going to imply he's better than any PSU wrestler ever then the counter argument there would be that he is 0-2 against the best Hwt. he wrestled at PSU. 

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

My opinion is that potential doesn't yet equal "Path to GOAT". 

Had anyone made some other sentiment that was an expression of potential or excitement I would never have responded. 

So the goal posts have moved from “pace” to “path”...as for what’s so absurd. Because, you know, “pace” is what you responded to. (Which pretty much makes your point here moot as well)

ohhhh tbar. 

On 12/10/2020 at 7:29 PM, TBar1977 said:

Pace to be Hwt. GOAT? Based on what? Junior accomplishments?

Way pre mature for that claim considering he's won zero NCAA's and zero Senior spots, let alone Senior medals. 

Here you to Tbar, before you go back and edit. “Pace” and “Potential” were the first terms/sentiment you highlighted when you quoted someone in your entry to this discussion. Where will you the move goalpost to next time??? Before long you’re going to be dug in so deep, it’s going to be hard for you to move them. 

Edited by Lurker

40 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Here you to Tbar, before you go back and edit. “Pace” and “Potential” were the first terms/sentiment you highlighted when you quoted someone in your entry to this discussion. Where will you the move goalpost to next time??? Before long you’re going to be dug in so deep, it’s going to be hard for you to move them. 

44 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So the goal posts have moved from “pace” to “path”...as for what’s so absurd. Because, you know, “pace” is what you responded to. (Which pretty much makes your point here moot as well)

ohhhh tbar. 

The lurker trademark, arguing over semantics until you find some pathetically ridiculous explanation for your antics.