Steveson retiring after this year?

On 12/19/2020 at 1:17 PM, TBar1977 said:

If you are going to imply he's better than any PSU wrestler ever then the counter argument there would be that he is 0-2 against the best Hwt. ever at PSU. 

Gable lost twice to Kerry McCoy?  He's 46 -- was it an old man strength thing? 

42 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Touche. Edited. 

:)   

Also, beyond the PSU issue, McCoy is well positioned in the best-career-at-his-age contest.  In his first year at the weight, he won the NCAA heavyweight championship at age 19 (which Steveson didn't do, though as has been pointed out he would have been favored to if not for Covid), and he went 135-1 at heavyweight in total.  In senior tournaments, when he was 19 he took 4th at nationals, and when he was 21 he lost a referee's decision to eventual Olympic champ Angle at nationals (though not at the heaviest weight I guess).  So I'd say he and Steveson are a draw.

3 hours ago, drag it said:

:)   

Also, beyond the PSU issue, McCoy is well positioned in the best-career-at-his-age contest.  In his first year at the weight, he won the NCAA heavyweight championship at age 19 (which Steveson didn't do, though as has been pointed out he would have been favored to if not for Covid), and he went 135-1 at heavyweight in total.  In senior tournaments, when he was 19 he took 4th at nationals, and when he was 21 he lost a referee's decision to eventual Olympic champ Angle at nationals (though not at the heaviest weight I guess).  So I'd say he and Steveson are a draw.

I have to lol at myself for not thinking of Kerry McCoy. Duh!

13 hours ago, headshuck said:

I intentionally said Senior level potential.... at his age...

I'm still not sure what "potential at his age means?" 

All of these guys would be "ahead of Baumgartner" "at their age" but will NOT have a career like his.  Never.

Is there something to be said for being a bit of a "late bloomer?"

I'm still not sure what "potential at his age means?" 
All of these guys would be "ahead of Baumgartner" "at their age" but will NOT have a career like his.  Never.
Is there something to be said for being a bit of a "late bloomer?"

It was just a statement that might be true in a thread full of opinions on Steveson’s outlook. Personally I think he’s going to move to Hollywood and take up acting.

20 minutes ago, headshuck said:

It was just a statement that might be true in a thread full of opinions on Steveson’s outlook. Personally I think he’s going to move to Hollywood and take up acting.

True, but every heavyweight who wins one state championship in high school is already showing more "potential at their age" than Big Bruce did.  

Funny how stuff doesn't always work out like that.  Progress is not linear.

Basically what’s happened here is that people were talking about how they see GS as having the potential to end up being the GOAT hwt. One poster got upset because PSU had a guy that beat GS, and has another guy who has some pretty nice chops himself, but we weren’t talking about them. So that got to a play on words and battle of terms like ‘pace’, ‘path’, and on and on, to now there has to be a precise definition of ‘potential’ accompanying ones opinion of how much potential he/she believes GS has, and apparently some confusion on whether or not expressing that opinion means you have already given him goat status prematurely. 
In other words.....much ado about nothing. Some people see more potential than others, and how they are judging that varies. It’s okay. 

I hope one of these young guys has what it takes to be dominant on the world level.  I'm not sure if I care whom!

I think there are many years that Cass would be considered a contender or likely finalist.  I think he's shooting for fourth for the forseesble future.

As much as I don't like some of the things Gable does during and after matches, I have always been hoping he lives up to his potential and boy does/did he have a lot of potential...hate it when you seen once in a lifetime talent get wasted...not saying that is the case with Gable...just hoping it doesn't become that.