Sign in to follow this  
GockeS

Time to impeach...

Ehhh....typically I'm like hey tough luck buckeyes, that's how life works sometimes.  But obviously this year goes well beyond the ordinary.  Big10 set the precedent at the very beginning when they changed not the rules, but whether or not they were even going to play a season.  The big kicker for me is that Ohio State could have lost 50-0 to Michigan this weekend and they were still playing in the Championship game.  So since they were already qualified, why knock them when they had two games cancelled due to other teams?

17 hours ago, GockeS said:

Kevin Warren

discuss.

Why would you impeach the guy who just made it possible for the best team to go to the championship game over Indiana... who they beat? They had games cancelled which was totally out of their control. The real travesty would have been allowing Indiana to go to the championship game having lost to OSU. If that were the case,  this same thread would have been created but for different reasons.  From a Michigan fan. 

well, he said we couldn't play b/c of safety.

then changed his mind when he saw the money the acc/sec were going to bank.

and further proved its about money with this.

i mean. whats the point of having a commissioner when we just vote right?

Isn't it the same travesty of a non conference champ getting into the playoff? something Ohst has done in the past? 

, i agree they are the best team.. but whats the point of setting up regulations and then getting rid of them?

this is like the good ole boy days of NQ at large bids. which coach is your buddy and that's whose kid gets to nationals.

Edited by GockeS

This was a no-brainer decision for the Big Ten. With OSU, they conference has a chance to put a team in the playoff. Without OSU, they don't. The Big Ten divides bowl money equally among the schools, so putting a team in the playoffs helps all teams. 

Edited by IronChef

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

i agree.

but thats not what he said it was about 3 months ago.

The 6 game minimum rule wasn’t about safety. It was about making sure the championship teams are actually qualified to be the best in the conference. I think we can all agree that’s the case here. 

Agree with your statement of why have rules if we’re just going to change them. But another thing I think we can all agree on is this is an extremely fluid time.  And every governing body that is engaging in sports are doing so knowing that it’s a very fluid situation and need to be flexible because of it.  Of course this change in rule is about money. Money the benefits all sports at all big ten schools. Us in the wrestling world particularly should be well in favor of this move. 

Another way to look at it: Indiana wrestling benefits more by Ohio State football being in the championship game than by Indiana being in the championship game. And since Ohio State is the better, proven, football team....what’s not to like?

Edited by Lurker

37 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The 6 game minimum rule wasn’t about safety. It was about making sure the championship teams are actually qualified to be the best in the conference. I think we can all agree that’s the case here. 

To bolster this- I heard this morning that even if OSU had lost to UM they would still have qualified.

57 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

To bolster this- I heard this morning that even if OSU had lost to UM they would still have qualified.

Yeah that's what I said in my first post here was the kicker for me, even if they had lost 100-0 to Michigan, they were already in the championship game.

4 hours ago, IronChef said:

This was a no-brainer decision for the Big Ten. With OSU, they conference has a chanceSteveson to put a team in the playoff. Without OSU, they don't. The Big Ten divides bowl money equally among the schools, so putting a team in the playoffs helps all teams. 

So ... Covid is fake?  ;_;

4 hours ago, IronChef said:

This was a no-brainer decision for the Big Ten. With OSU, they conference has a chance to put a team in the playoff. Without OSU, they don't. The Big Ten divides bowl money equally among the schools, so putting a team in the playoffs helps all teams. 

I agree, why the hell even play a schedule? Ohio state , Alabama  Clemson were preseason top 4. Go with it. We knew what the playoff teams were before any games were played.  Let the little pion schools fight it out with playing a schedule for the left over crum, bowls. Lol

22 hours ago, GockeS said:

well, he said we couldn't play b/c of safety.

then changed his mind when he saw the money the acc/sec were going to bank.

and further proved its about money with this.

i mean. whats the point of having a commissioner when we just vote right?

Isn't it the same travesty of a non conference champ getting into the playoff? something Ohst has done in the past? 

, i agree they are the best team.. but whats the point of setting up regulations and then getting rid of them?

this is like the good ole boy days of NQ at large bids. which coach is your buddy and that's whose kid gets to nationals.

Yeah...because no regulations have changed for any entity in the last 10 months. 

23 hours ago, GockeS said:

Isn't it the same travesty of a non conference champ getting into the playoff? 

Not at all.  Deciding the CFP is a matter of judegment, a vote amongst teams that (typically) have not played each other along with having very very few, if any, common opponents.  The conference championship participants are decided in a much different way, where judgement does not come into play at all.  This situation is not at all comparable to CFP selection.

On 12/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, Idaho said:

Yeah...because no regulations have changed for any entity in the last 10 months. 

i agree, my point is, at the beginning I KNEW that they were going to do this... 

why even put up the facade....

its all a farce 

1 minute ago, GockeS said:

that it was about the health and safety of the athletes...so the big 10 wasn't going to play.

Well yeah, but every commissioner is going to say its about the athletes. It comes down to a cost benefit analysis. There was definitely risk for every conference at the beginning of the season. The big 10 was just more risk averse. In the end they waited, saw it wasnt a problem, and will likely still get a team in the playoff with the money that comes with it. 

Honestly, it worked out well for the Big10. 

26 minutes ago, GockeS said:

that it was about the health and safety of the athletes...so the big 10 wasn't going to play.

Would you rather have had them be too proud to change this decision? Isnt the fact that they reevaluated and came to a different decision a good thing?