Sign in to follow this  
PSUSMC

RIP Lars Jensen - Former SF State Head Coach

I do not have the reason, just know that he passed away earlier this week.

Coach Jensen took over the SF State program, where he competed and was a DII National Qualifier, in 1983 and led the team to the 1997 DII NCAA Team Title (the only NCAA Team Championship San Francisco State University has won in any sport); he was the head coach from 1983 through the 2017 season and coached numerous All-Americans and National Champions.

He was an SF State, California Wrestling and National Wrestling HOF inductee.

It's hard to put into words the impact he had on the college wrestling community here in California. He kept that program alive while so many other D II schools were cutting the sport in the west coast. Through numerous budget cuts and a very small amount of scholarships, he was keeping his team competitive. His 1997 National Championship team came at a time when the university didn't have any scholarships.  When I was his assistant from 2009-2014 we had a little over 2 scholarships to offer. He always did much more with what little he was given.

He was the epitome of what hard work can accomplish, and fighting to keep his team alive, and provide opportunities for the high school wrestlers here in California to compete. He was a good man, and leaves a legacy that is tremendous. He deserves so much credit for all he did for the California college wrestling community.

RIP Coach Jensen.

Depressing how this only has two responses thus far, mine being a third. 

Coach Jensen was a wonderful guy.  I had the privilege of getting to know him for a very short time while I was in high school.  What a beautiful human being.  Great Coach & I mean that in all ways it can be meant.  Far more than just what he taught on the wrestling mat.  Great guy. 

Lots of respect to Coach Jensen.  We got to compete against the Gators quite a bit back in the day, he was always able to put a competitive squad out on the mat.  I never realized the uphill battle he was fighting behind the scenes regarding funding etc.