Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

Greco included after 2024?

Wrestling weights, number of participants, and events will remain the same for the 2024 Olympic program. What about after that? 

On Flo earlier this week, Askren said he heard the rumor that 2028 is it for Greco, when it will be supplanted by Beach wrestling. Would that be a good thing for the sport? Would UWW actually cut Greco to save MFS and WFS? 

I'm actually a fan of watching Greco, and believe that participating in it actually helps develop our youth athletes. But I can't help but think that it's low scoring matches and manufactured par terre points are a detriment to the sport as an Olympic even. 

If greco gets pulled the IOC likely just adds another sport all together rather than replacing it with another wrestling style. Or for that matter giving their medal or participation numbers to men’s and women’s freestyle.  As I’ve said before I’d rather keep greco then lose a wrestle style all together.  Heck we would be lucky if it at least got replaced by another grappling style like BBJ rather than the IOC adding Squash or something instead. 

They need to at least try changing “dirty greco” where you can use trip before dropping it all together. athough I could see the IOC push back saying it’s too much like Judo then and pass on accepting change. 

Edited by MadMardigain

I think it's probably getting cut in the next couple of cycles, those rumours were in Iran also but they said it was false, however in my opinion there is too much smoke and rumours for there to be no fire. Replacing it with beach is so dumb but we are talking about UWW/Fila so I am not shocked they would do something stupid like that. I wouldn't put another style if Greco gets cut,  nobody cares about beach wrestling, maybe the women's version or could be popular if they dress them like women's beach volleyball. Give the weights to freestyle, which is already a very good product. 

Greco is in danger since 2004 not because it's boring or poor officiating, mostly because IOC wants gender equality. but Greco is more popular in some places in the world, specially in some parts of Europe. the number of participation in Greco is usually a bit higher than freestyle. UWW/FILA tried hard so far to keep it, successful so far but who knows about the future.

the whole beach wrestling idea was something UWW created to have a women's new style instead of non-existant women's Greco. as far as I know some IOC members wanted UWW to drop 3 Greco weights for 3 women's beach wrestling weight classes.

and a simple fact some may not know, wrestling with 18 gold medals is only 4th behind Athletics, Aquatics and Cycling. and those are 3 big sports. Gymnastics is tied with 18 but all other sports have less medals than wrestling. IOC will never give any more gold medal event to this sport, it's simply impossible

and remember wrestling was guaranteed a place at the Olympics until 2024. they are going to review every single sport for the 2028 Olympics. wrestling has a very good chance to stay but that's not guaranteed.

Edited by wrestfan

Why was there never a push by UWW to add womens greco in the first place?It seems like a pretty big miss considering the direction of sports these days.

In the end, I wont be sad to see Greco go, especially if its getting replaced by beach wrestling. Greco is unwatchable to even some of the most devout wrestling fans. 

Why should it be kept? Tradition? Give something else a try.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

1 hour ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Why was there never a push by UWW to add womens greco in the first place?It seems like a pretty big miss considering the direction of sports these days.

In the end, I wont be sad to see Greco go, especially if its getting replaced by beach wrestling. Greco is unwatchable to even some of the most devout wrestling fans. 

Why should it be kept? Tradition? Give something else a try.

IMO free and greco are both unwatchable. They should take them all out and either give folk a try or give an entirely different sport a try in the olympics.

Just now, kyleinthecircle said:

IMO free and greco are both unwatchable. They should take them all out and either give folk a try or give an entirely different sport a try in the olympics.

To each their own. Honestly when wrestling was on the block, I found squashes bid very interesting: 

They should take out Tennis bc they have such a devloped pro game and put in squash. I would definitely watch that.

36 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

To each their own. Honestly when wrestling was on the block, I found squashes bid very interesting: 

They should take out Tennis bc they have such a devloped pro game and put in squash. I would definitely watch that.

Never agreed with something more in my life on this forum

On 12/13/2020 at 9:12 PM, wrestfan said:

and a simple fact some may not know, wrestling with 18 gold medals is only 4th behind Athletics, Aquatics and Cycling. and those are 3 big sports. Gymnastics is tied with 18 but all other sports have less medals than wrestling. IOC will never give any more gold medal event to this sport, it's simply impossible

But honestly that’s under a system that counts a set of team medals as a single sport medal. So I’m less inclined to support that argument even if that a way for the IOC to wessel out of providing a fair amount of individual opportunities. 

Also,In an ideal world the Olympics would waste medals and participant numbers on sports that already have a very well established and popular pro league where athletes from many nations already participate.  Let’s face it a gold medal in sports like tennis or golf is just another weekend vs their regular weekly competition.  And while a gold medal maybe nice to add to their collection some likely value a specific annual tournament championship in their own sport as much of not more.  In my view that’s a clear sign that sport doesn’t need or really value the Olympics. But if the IOC can milk money off those sports for a 20 years or so before the flavor wears off they will. 

Edited by MadMardigain

19 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Also,In an ideal world the Olympics would waste medals and participant numbers on sports that already have a very well established and popular pro league where athletes from many nations already participate.  Let’s face it a gold medal in sports like tennis or golf is just another weekend vs their regular weekly competition.  And while a gold medal maybe nice to add to their collection some likely value a specific annual tournament championship in their own sport as much of not more.  In my view that’s a clear sign that sport doesn’t need or really value the Olympics. But if the IOC can milk money off those sports for a 20 years or so before the flavor wears off they will. 

Agreed on Tennis and Golf should not be Oly sports. Those athletes would much rather win a major than a Olympic gold. Soccer and Baseball have the same problem.

For some reason Basketball and Hockey do belong in my mind, at least the have the years of tradition.