Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Arizona State announces Maroon/Gold Intrasquad 5 days before date

I'll wait till the 19th for final judgement on that. I've seen events for ASU in the past that were advertised as being available via the same method only to find no such video stream was actually available.

Also, for me, if it actually is available to watch online then I can watch for 2 hours before watching my alma mater (Boise State) in the Mtn. West conference football championship game for the 4th straight year (that starts at 2:15 p.m. on the 19th on FOX).

Edited by Bronco

27 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I'll wait till the 19th for final judgement on that. I've seen events for ASU in the past that were advertised as being available via the same method only to find no such video stream was actually available.

Also, for me, if it actually is available to watch online then I can watch for 2 hours before watching my alma mater (Boise State) in the Mtn. West conference football championship game for the 4th straight year (that starts at 2:15 p.m. on the 19th on FOX).

Surprised your opinion of your alma mater hasn't gone the way of Jason Bryant's opinion of <redacted> University (or, as he calls it, ye olde alma mater).

4 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Surprised your opinion of your alma mater hasn't gone the way of Jason Bryant's opinion of <redacted> University (or, as he calls it, ye olde alma mater).

I don't think Boise State ever pretended to care about wrestling. Or pulled the same stuff as they did with JB when he started asking questions. 

14 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

My alma mater is still my alma mater.  And I will continue to watch Boise State's football games on TV.  However I no longer attend any Boise State events in person and I no longer donate money to them.  Those are my responses to the shameless actions of Boise State regarding the now former Boise State wrestling program.

Nice find there Tommy.  I checked the ASU website this morning and that had - apparently - not yet been put out when I checked it earlier today.

Looking at those projected weight classes several things stood out for me.

1. Josiah Kline is listed at 133 when I thought he was moving up to 141.

2. Jesse Vasquez is listed at 141 when many were saying recently he would be at 149

3. Valencia at 165 (some thought he'd be at 174)

4. Munoz at 174 (when some thought  he'd be at 184 or even 197)

5. Cory Crooks and Navonte Demison both at 149 lbs

Just looking at how that lineup is listed it APPEARS that the first guy mentioned in each weight class is likely to be the starter for ASU at that weight class.

Edited by Bronco

7 hours ago, Bronco said:

Nice find there Tommy.  I checked the ASU website this morning and that had - apparently - not yet been put out when I checked it earlier today.

Looking at those projected weight classes several things stood out for me.

1. Josiah Kline is listed at 133 when I thought he was moving up to 141.

2. Jesse Vasquez is listed at 141 when many were saying recently he would be at 149

3. Valencia at 165 (some thought he'd be at 174)

4. Munoz at 174 (when some thought  he'd be at 184 or even 197)

5. Cory Crooks and Navonte Demison both at 149 lbs

Just looking at how that lineup is listed it APPEARS that the first guy mentioned in each weight class is likely to be the starter for ASU at that weight class.

It's almost like it's the same exact thing listed on their roster that has been up for months....  

Trackwrestling shows that some of them have a huge cut coming their way

Edited by Idaho

Munoz wrestled 87kg (192lbs)in October and I mentioned he may be going 184. I also said the reason for not seeing Coleman last year was him moving down. Still think we see that this year. Vasquez just wrestled at 65kg (143lb) so no surprise there. Lipari not being at 149 is surprising. However, reporting at ASU for wrestling is terrible. 

Dont sleep on Raimo. Guy is a stud. 

1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

Munoz wrestled 87kg (192lbs)in October and I mentioned he may be going 184. I also said the reason for not seeing Coleman last year was him moving down. Still think we see that this year. Vasquez just wrestled at 65kg (143lb) so no surprise there. Lipari not being at 149 is surprising. However, reporting at ASU for wrestling is terrible. 

Dont sleep on Raimo. Guy is a stud. 

Oct event was plus 2kg 

The story that Tommy provided a link to here mentioned that the preliminaries will take place on Friday and then the 10 final matches will take place at noon Saturday.   It's only the Saturday matches that will be available online as I understand it - not the prelims.    So unless someone provides details here as to the results of the Friday prelim matches we won't know who is at what weight class till Saturday - right?

2 hours ago, Bronco said:

The story that Tommy provided a link to here mentioned that the preliminaries will take place on Friday and then the 10 final matches will take place at noon Saturday.   It's only the Saturday matches that will be available online as I understand it - not the prelims.    So unless someone provides details here as to the results of the Friday prelim matches we won't know who is at what weight class till Saturday - right?

In years past ASU has updated the prelims on their twitter page and later on their website. 

Was the article actually stating that those were the weights those guys were wrestling off at or just regurgitating the given roster? We will find out soon. If the roster is accurate and what we know is true (i.e. freestyle weights and the certification weight in on track), then there are a couple guys that are going to be cutting weight significantly. 

My memory isn't what it used to be but as near as I can recall my memory tells me that in the past the articles (like this one) on the ASU website which have to do with their annual intra-squad wrestleoffs or scrimmage are very far from being accurate.   AS I RECALL - in the past - what they say the matches will be are quite different than the matches that actually take place.  Not quite sure why they would deliberately mislead folks about something like that but AS I RECALL - that's precisely what occurs.

So, as already said, we will just have to wait and see.

Maroon & Gold Scrimmage Bouts (lbs):
Bout 1 (133)- Michael McGee v. Lou Fincher
Bout 2 (165)- Anthony Valencia v. Alex Torres
Bout 3 (174)- Trey Munoz v. Ryan Rochford
Bout 4 (HWY)- Kordell Norfleet v. David Remer
Bout 5 (149)- Cory Crooks v. Ricky Roberto
Bout 6 (184)- Cade Belshay v. Josh Nummer
Bourt 7 (125)- Brandon Courtney v. Lou Fincher
Bout 8 (157)- Jacori Teemer v. Alex Torres
Bout 9 (174)- Trey Munoz v. Ryan Moltz 
Bout 10 (HWY)- Kordell Norfleet v. David Palosika

Very underwhelming slate for tomorrow. Seems like they purposely left out any matches that would be at all competitive...

I agree - hard not to.   The only matches that may be remotely competitive look (to me) to be bout 5 and bout 10.  

I have to wonder why Norfleet is at heavyweight for TWO matches.   Where is Cohlton Schultz?  Where is Jesse Vasquez?  Where is Julian Chlebove?  Where is Zane Coleman?  Where is Josiah Kline?  Where is Peter Lipari?   Where is Chad Porter?  Where is Nick Raimo?

Also, how is it that the prelims were said to be going on tonight yet they already have the 10 finals matches scheduled and no word (as far as I can see) on how the prelim matches went - assuming they took place this afternoon rather than tonight.

Edited by Bronco

Every year I get excited that ASU will keep taking the next step. Then every year they pull this Mickey Mouse BS. Wrestle offs never mean a dang thing. Always  some crap matchups that mean nothing. 
I want to see with my own eyes if Raimo can beat McGee. I want to see if Vasquez deserves to start for 5 years. Can Coleman force Munoz up to 184. I want to know where this team is truly at and how competitive the room is.