lu1979

WC FS Brackets 86 Kg

I noticed the top 1/2 of the 86 kg bracket is pretty good - the Russian Kurugliev who lost to Taylor in 2018 SF is in it along with World silver medalists from 2017 (Makoev Slovakia) and 2019 (Punia India).  Makoev beat Cox in the 2017 SF off a beautiful Russian 2 on 1 to a fireman's carry - great match to watch on you tube.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Makoev isn't what he was.  Pfarr beat him easily at the Bill Farrell.

Also... where dafuq is Amine and Abounader?

It appears my post was deleted, I really don't want to type out the whole post again, but I I'll try once more, but abbreviated. 
1.) I agree Makoev has fallen off. 
2.) 65kg is the only "Super lopsided" bracket. 
3.) Hope Micic can win a quality semis match to lose to Uguev in the finals. 
4.)Very excited for Chamizo vs Zhamalov, was also glad to see Chamizo vs Eryilmaz again, dude wrestles Frank tough. 
5.) I was surprised Adeline Grey mad an Instagram post implying she wanted to wrestle but either wasn't allowed to go, or wasn't invited. She wasn't clear on why the United States didn't send anybody, and that surprised me, I assumed all the top athletes would be "In the loop" on those decisions.  

Edited by spladle08

Just now, nhs67 said:

Short answer: Aliens.

It's always aliens, I just want to know what I did wrong? Was it because I included her actual post? Or was it that I mentioned I thought the governing body just didn't want to send a team? I don't have a problem with the post disappearing but I am curious about why.

I wouldn't say Makoev was particularly good even when he won his world silver to say that he has fallen off. That result was very much an outlier if you look at his career up to that point and since. 86 has a lot of lucky silver medalists due to unbalanced brackets these past few years ( Deepak Punia, Makoev, Erdin). 

21 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

I wouldn't say Makoev was particularly good even when he won his world silver to say that he has fallen off. That result was very much an outlier if you look at his career up to that point and since. 86 has a lot of lucky silver medalists due to unbalanced brackets these past few years ( Deepak Punia, Makoev, Erdin). 

You can certainly argue that Makoev had a really good tournament in 2017 to make the finals and even say he "wrestled above his head" but saying he got there do to an unbalanced bracket is unfair.   He beat a tough Bulgarian Ganev who was a past World Gold medalist and multiple time Euro medalist.  He beat Torreblanca from Cuba who is tough and he beat Cox the bronze medalist from the previous year and that year and the guy who would win Worlds at 92kg the next two years.  That match wasn't close.  He hit a great fiemans off a russian 2 on 1 and came real close to decking Cox.  Punia I will agree with you on he had a very weak side of the bracket.  Erdin that is also somewhat true of him also although ironically he did go through Makoev in that bracket.  I am not arguing that Makoev's results after 2017 merit him being considered a top guy at 86kg but his run through the bracket in 2017 was legit and not due to "weak side of bracket syndrome"

On 12/17/2020 at 9:11 AM, lu1979 said:

You can certainly argue that Makoev had a really good tournament in 2017 to make the finals and even say he "wrestled above his head" but saying he got there do to an unbalanced bracket is unfair.   He beat a tough Bulgarian Ganev who was a past World Gold medalist and multiple time Euro medalist.  He beat Torreblanca from Cuba who is tough and he beat Cox the bronze medalist from the previous year and that year and the guy who would win Worlds at 92kg the next two years.  That match wasn't close.  He hit a great fiemans off a russian 2 on 1 and came real close to decking Cox.  Punia I will agree with you on he had a very weak side of the bracket.  Erdin that is also somewhat true of him also although ironically he did go through Makoev in that bracket.  I am not arguing that Makoev's results after 2017 merit him being considered a top guy at 86kg but his run through the bracket in 2017 was legit and not due to "weak side of bracket syndrome"

I was so confident Jden was going to kill him. That match was so frustrating 

Lol am I being too harsh on Makoev? I'll just say that when I saw him make the final in 2017 I didn't think "oh wow this guy is going to be a medal threat for the next quad going into 2020". If you'd told me after that silver he never wins a world medal again I would believe you. I don't think Cox was too strong that tournament, he almost lost to Finland if I recall properly.