Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

No Russian name or flag at Olympics & World Championships

Recommended Posts

Russia banned from using its name, flag at next two Olympics

More doping shenanigans. The teams can still compete. 

Quote

The name ``Russia'' can be retained on uniforms if the words ``Neutral Athlete'' or ``Neutral Team'' have equal prominence, the court said.

 

Edited by IronChef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

If Russia is out, then their allocations should go back to the pool.

True, but are their athletes allowed to complete in the Last Chance Qualifier independently?  If so, does that enable more than one Russian to enter a weight class?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

True, but are their athletes allowed to complete in the Last Chance Qualifier independently?  If so, does that enable more than one Russian to enter a weight class?

It only covers the olympics and worlds from all I’ve read. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

True, but are their athletes allowed to complete in the Last Chance Qualifier independently?  If so, does that enable more than one Russian to enter a weight class?

No.  The federation should still be allowed to choose who to send, however they shouldn't get Russia's qualifications since Russia was banned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

All the cheaters still get to compete, so who’s this hurting?

If the previous ruling stands (this was based off their manipulating information during the sanctions from a few years ago) anyone who has popped before will not be able to compete and they’ll have a pretty vigorous vetting process. I don’t know if that still stands but that was and earlier decision before this latest sanction. 
 

I believe I also read they are not allowed to hold any international events during that span. So that would mean the Yarigan is out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be interesting to see how this plays out from a broadcast perspective. For example, when NBC shows the medal count, will they have a slot for “neutral”. Will they just not factor into the table?  If no, will broadcasters mention “Russian athletes competing neutral have accounted for...?”  I’m curious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lurker said:

Will be interesting to see how this plays out from a broadcast perspective. For example, when NBC shows the medal count, will they have a slot for “neutral”. Will they just not factor into the table?  If no, will broadcasters mention “Russian athletes competing neutral have accounted for...?”  I’m curious. 

I am pretty sure this was the case at the last winter olympics. It made zero bit of difference and is essentially zero punishment.

Everyone knew they were Russian athletes, representing Russia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why people want to punish the russian athletes who haven't tested positive for PEDs. its the Russian state and Olympic federation that is the guilty party. Assuming they miss out on their cut of the Olympic money this is a pretty massive punishment. Can't think of similar instance happening in recent memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Not sure why people want to punish the russian athletes who haven't tested positive for PEDs. its the Russian state and Olympic federation that is the guilty party. Assuming they miss out on their cut of the Olympic money this is a pretty massive punishment. Can't think of similar instance happening in recent memory.

I will take a shot at why.

I think people want to punish Russian athletes who haven't tested positive because of proven, comprehensive, state-sponsored efforts to make sure that their dirty athletes test clean.

The evidence suggests that, in the case of Russia, lack of a positive test is no longer sufficient to indicate clean sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

The evidence suggests that, in the case of Russia, lack of a positive test is no longer sufficient to indicate clean sport.

After Rodchenkov defected I no longer believe that is the case. we know about the cheating because of Rodchenkov, after which WADA decertified RUSADA. Part of deal for allowing the Russian athletes to compete under a neutral flag at the Olympics is they have to go through the same testing as everyone else, they are no longer tested by an organization sponsored by the Russian state.

Was actually kinda surprised Russia ended up with any punishment at all. Thought covid might allow the IOC et al to just sweep this all under the rug. That they stuck to their guns and held Russia accountable was good to see imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

After Rodchenkov defected I no longer believe that is the case. we know about the cheating because of Rodchenkov, after which WADA decertified RUSADA. Part of deal for allowing the Russian athletes to compete under a neutral flag at the Olympics is they have to go through the same testing as everyone else, they are no longer tested by an organization sponsored by the Russian state.

That's valid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...