pa in taiwan

Russians looking fantastic

The Russians are looking dominant. If they can carry this momentum into the Olympics in Japan, they will be tough to beat. They always are. Personally, I don't care about the neutral country BS; I know who they are, and they know who they are, and YOU know who they are.  

The Russians are looking dominant. If they can carry this momentum into the Olympics in Japan, they will be tough to beat. They always are. Personally, I don't care about the neutral country BS; I know who they are, and they know who they are, and YOU know who they are.  

Yeah you really love Russia... I'd guess

Uguev wins gold. I think Cox can beat Sadulaev.

I'd be a little surprised if they placed at 65kg or 125kg

Likely earn a medal at 74kg and 86kg although I wouldn't expect Gold. (Gold is definitely not happening at 86kg)

Obviously that's enough to win the team title but I hope you're not expecting a performance similar to this week.

15 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Likely earn a medal at 74kg and 86kg although I wouldn't expect Gold. (Gold is definitely not happening at 86kg)

Obviously that's enough to win the team title but I hope you're not expecting a performance similar to this week.

No, I don't really love Russia. You guessed wrong. I appreciate their talent and ability. I love to watch the Russians wrestle. Guess what? I appreciate Iran's talent and ability. I also love to watch the Iranians wrestle. True competitors. The Japanese as well. They're coming on strong in certain weight classes. The Azerbaijanis are excellent as well. Do you see what I'm getting at? I am American, and I love our team, but I also admire and enjoy watching and even rooting for the wrestlers from other nations. By the way, I don't think anyone expects a similar performance from the Russians in the Olympics. And even if they perform well, there will be no team title. 

36 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

No, I don't really love Russia. You guessed wrong. I appreciate their talent and ability. I love to watch the Russians wrestle. Guess what? I appreciate Iran's talent and ability. I also love to watch the Iranians wrestle. True competitors. The Japanese as well. They're coming on strong in certain weight classes. The Azerbaijanis are excellent as well. Do you see what I'm getting at? I am American, and I love our team, but I also admire and enjoy watching and even rooting for the wrestlers from other nations. By the way, I don't think anyone expects a similar performance from the Russians in the Olympics. And even if they perform well, there will be no team title. 

Russia won't win anything at the 2021 Olympics.  At all.

That said, when 6 of the top 10 teams and less than 5% of the Top 20 ranked individuals at each weight class attend, the Russians (who are the #1 team in the world in a full-strength worlds) is going to look otherworldly when they send their #1 wrestlers. 

Depends on what you think the intention of a World Tournament is. Personally, I would like it to be a competition of the best wresters in the World, and where they stand, so I would like more Russians able to attend, as they often have 2-3 of the top 10 sitting on the sidelines.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:26 PM, spladle08 said:

You’d be surprised if Russia places at 65kg?! They have like 4 gold contenders

Naw man they had 1 "Gold contender" their other guys are "medal contenders" who were "Gold contenders" in their primes, but the weight is so deep, Rashidov was the only one with a real gold chance and that was still less than 50/50 IMO...

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:
5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Naw man they had 1 "Gold contender" their other guys are "medal contenders" who were "Gold contenders" in their primes, but the weight is so deep, Rashidov was the only one with a real gold chance and that was still less than 50/50 IMO...

Who do you have ahead of whoever Russia sends? 

Maybe Musakaev, maybe Aliyev, Otoguro? 

Who do you have ahead of whoever Russia sends? 

Maybe Musakaev, maybe Aliyev, Otoguro? 

It's not necessarily ahead but it's at least on the same level. Those 3 you mentioned.
Obviously gotta throw in Tevanyan, Punia, Kilicsallayan, Skriaban,. Khinchigashvilli, Valdes-Tobier... I'm sure my spelling was horrible but just saying Rashidov was even with the top guys and lucky to come out of some barn burners... The next level down for Russia even if only a point or 2 behind Rashidov, that's a slight step behind the stiffest of competition. Gold seems highly unlikely. A medal would be a surprise (to me)

8 hours ago, spladle08 said:

It's not necessarily ahead but it's at least on the same level. Those 3 you mentioned.
Obviously gotta throw in Tevanyan, Punia, Kilicsallayan, Skriaban,. Khinchigashvilli, Valdes-Tobier... I'm sure my spelling was horrible but just saying Rashidov was even with the top guys and lucky to come out of some barn burners... The next level down for Russia even if only a point or 2 behind Rashidov, that's a slight step behind the stiffest of competition. Gold seems highly unlikely. A medal would be a surprise (to me)

Chakaev or some of the other Russians may be a slight step down from a healthy Rashidov altough I think they are medal threats  I am not sure the "step down" description applies to D Baev if he can make 65kg and be effective.  Also if 29 Year old Soslan Ramonov can get himself back into prime condition I would say either of those guys could be a step up from Rashidov. 

Chakaev or some of the other Russians may be a slight step down from a healthy Rashidov altough I think they are medal threats  I am not sure the "step down" description applies to D Baev if he can make 65kg and be effective.  Also if 29 Year old Soslan Ramonov can get himself back into prime condition I would say either of those guys could be a step up from Rashidov. 
I won't try to clarify too much longer. I do think they could send 4 or 5 "medal threats" I just think more often than not they don't medal.
I'm not sure Baev can make the weight and don't let 70kg results trick you too much (although he is a hammer)
And as far as Soslan goes... He just hasn't been able to find that groove since his return... Although I admit... When he's firing in all cylinders he's unstoppable.

Eh. No one on Earth is a heavy favorite to medal at, let alone win, 65kgs, and how these guys compare to their side of the bracket match-up-wise, counts for more than their score against Rashidov alone. I’m a big fan of his, but saying another Russian won’t win seems ahistorical at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Eh. No one on Earth is a heavy favorite to medal at, let alone win, 65kgs, and how these guys compare to their side of the bracket match-up-wise, counts for more than their score against Rashidov alone. I’m a big fan of his, but saying another Russian won’t win seems ahistorical at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair. 
The weight is horribly overwhelming, this conversation alone has further solidified my 30% odds we qualify the weight, and <10% we are in medal contention.... 
Lord we need the best draw.... (Assuming we get there)

9 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I won't try to clarify too much longer. I do think they could send 4 or 5 "medal threats" I just think more often than not they don't medal.
I'm not sure Baev can make the weight and don't let 70kg results trick you too much (although he is a hammer)
And as far as Soslan goes... He just hasn't been able to find that groove since his return... Although I admit... When he's firing in all cylinders he's unstoppable.

I don’t agree, but I get where you are coming from. That weight is so deep that a few world medalist level guys won’t medal

7 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Fair. 
The weight is horribly overwhelming, this conversation alone has further solidified my 30% odds we qualify the weight, and <10% we are in medal contention.... 
Lord we need the best draw.... (Assuming we get there)

I think it is very possible we don’t qualify the weight. We have good enough guys to do it, but nobody is a lock to qualify us considering how many solid guys haven’t qualified for their country yet.