lu1979

Kerkvliet is unreal

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You give it a rest?

As much as Quackson ducked Parris, he did in fact split matches with Nelson.

"Quackson" was never, and still isn't funny. Not even in a dad-joke way.

But I encourage you to keep at it. Some guys just never know when to quit - and it's nice to know which guys those are.

8 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

"Quackson" was never, and still isn't funny. Not even in a dad-joke way.

But I encourage you to keep at it. Some guys just never know when to quit - and it's nice to know which guys those are.

Quackson was never meant to be funny, you twit.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:39 AM, bnwtwg said:

The only ladder-level talent he has run into so far is Tony Nelson at 2019 senior nats and he was really big-brothered even though he held a lead into the final two minutes. Not sure what his training situation looked like going into that tourney since he had already left OSU. I'm really excited to see where he stands at now after a year-ish in the NLWC room. He and Parris are such freak specimens and it's a real treat to see some elite technique paired up with their size. It's a bright present and future for the US with Gwiz, Steveson, Parris, and Kerk at the helm.

Hopefully his knees hold up. 

I'm curious to see that screenshot of his 20ib. weight gain from that match.

5 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

Hopefully his knees hold up. 

I'm curious to see that screenshot of his 20ib. weight gain from that match.

You might wish to get NLWC Rokfin for one month for 9.99. You can watch all the matches at once, and where Kerkvliet's matches are concerned you can see a very big guy who moves like anything but a Hwt. 

2 hours ago, cjc007 said:

I was hoping Nelson realized he best days are over in competitive wrestling.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

He is qualified for Olympic trials. He might as well stick it out for a few more months. Crazier things have happened. He is probably 5th or so best heavyweight. With Covid, who knows who we end up sending. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

He is qualified for Olympic trials. He might as well stick it out for a few more months. Crazier things have happened. He is probably 5th or so best heavyweight. With Covid, who knows who we end up sending. 

I think he is 5th as well.  I think we got Gwiaz and the young guns then Nelson/Coon/Bradley.

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I think he is 5th as well.  I think we got Gwiaz and the young guns then Nelson/Coon/Bradley.

Agreed. 

It is fairly likely one or more of the top 4 miss trials due to injury or Covid. Depending on what rules the Olympics and USA wrestling puts into place, it is possible our rep and/or 2nd string don’t make it to Tokyo. 

For a non #1, this is probably the best year in history to make the team. The likelihood we send our actual #1s is fairly slim. 

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Agreed. 

It is fairly likely one or more of the top 4 miss trials due to injury or Covid. Depending on what rules the Olympics and USA wrestling puts into place, it is possible our rep and/or 2nd string don’t make it to Tokyo. 

For a non #1, this is probably the best year in history to make the team. The likelihood we send our actual #1s is fairly slim. 

I don't know man, I can see...once we get our #1's sorted out, those guys and their training partners stay under a pretty tight lock and key.

15 hours ago, cjc007 said:

I was hoping Nelson realized he best days are over in competitive wrestling.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Definitely agree. I understood why Eggum gave Nelson the match against Parris when Steveson already had his feel back in March and knew they will meet many times until they leave their shoes on the mat, but that loss to Parris did not look good. To me it was the loss to Dhesi the same weekend really cemented that his #3 ladder ranking in 2019 was his senior peak. He has all the strength in the world but he never developed a reliable shot and it was his downfall. I bet he still finishes top 5 in April though (depending on how the brackets look).

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

I don't know man, I can see...once we get our #1's sorted out, those guys and their training partners stay under a pretty tight lock and key.

I don’t think that is possible. They have to be in training camps. Most routinely train with college teams. They also usually train with the rest of the team and the #2S and #3s. An outbreak could set us back. 

I hope it works out, but if a 5 string was hoping to make the team, this is the year to do it. 

Just interesting to me. Not sure what will happen. I hope all of our #1s go. I hope we qualify the weights. 

35 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Definitely agree. I understood why Eggum gave Nelson the match against Parris when Steveson already had his feel back in March and knew they will meet many times until they leave their shoes on the mat, but that loss to Parris did not look good. To me it was the loss to Dhesi the same weekend really cemented that his #3 ladder ranking in 2019 was his senior peak. He has all the strength in the world but he never developed a reliable shot and it was his downfall. I bet he still finishes top 5 in April though (depending on how the brackets look).

Top 5 in April means winning 1 match I think. 

trial brackets are so tiny 

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Agree. I would also think the vaccine calendar will be their friend so long as things don't go sideways. 

On 12/24/2020 at 2:56 AM, Jon_Kozak said:

Yes-he’s qualified already. Here’s a complete list of those qualified at 125:

Nick Gwiazdowski, Gable Steveson, Mason Parris, Dom Bradley, Tony Nelson, Daniel Kerkvliet, Nick Nevills, and Garrett Ryan 

2021 NCAA Champ will qualify and 2 from Last Chance.

20 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Top 5 in April means winning 1 match I think. 

trial brackets are so tiny 

I expect that 125 OTT will only see two last chance entries because I think we can all agree that Steveson, Parris, or Kerkvliet is taking home the NCAA title this year. Realistically looking at AJ & Seth Nevills, Hall, Hillger, Cassioppi, Elam, Wood, Hemida, hopefully Cassar? maybe Coon? very doubtful but maybe Varner gives 125 another shot?

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I expect that 125 OTT will only see two last chance entries because I think we can all agree that Steveson, Parris, or Kerkvliet is taking home the NCAA title this year. Realistically looking at AJ & Seth Nevills, Hall, Hillger, Cassioppi, Elam, Wood, Hemida, hopefully Cassar? maybe Coon? very doubtful but maybe Varner gives 125 another shot?

I think Coon will stick to Greco, but other than that, I think you are spot on. 

how is 125kg the deepest domestic weight? So bizarre 

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I don’t think that is possible. They have to be in training camps. Most routinely train with college teams. They also usually train with the rest of the team and the #2S and #3s. An outbreak could set us back. 

I hope it works out, but if a 5 string was hoping to make the team, this is the year to do it. 

Just interesting to me. Not sure what will happen. I hope all of our #1s go. I hope we qualify the weights. 

I hear what you are saying, but every sports organization in the world has shifted (drastically) the way they have practiced, trained, had team meetings, and competed. I would imagine that trend to continue with our Olympic team. 

7 hours ago, Housebuye said:

How is 125kg the deepest domestic weight? So bizarre 

It isn't.  We have 3 young guns who haven't proven anything on the senior levek getting ready to try and take the spot from our #1 guy, who isn't even a tier 2 international guy(all due respects...).  I do believe Gable will cement himself as at least tier 2, fwiw.

I would argue the case that 125 is still our shallowest weight class still.

Edited by nhs67

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

It isn't.  We have 3 young guns who haven't proven anything on the senior levek getting ready to try and take the spot from our #1 guy, who isn't even a tier 2 international guy(all due respects...).  I do believe Gable will cement himself as at least tier 2, fwiw.

I would argue the case that 125 is still our shallowest weight class still.

Real quick, IMO, if you are talking 1-5 or so or total depth, 125 is deeper than 97 or 86. I'll look at the others later.