TripNSweep

Ben Askren to box YouTube celeb in March

8 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

A little different for you and me (obviously assuming because i don't know your accomplishments) it wouldn't be a big deal to just go for a money grab... would just think if you had the type of career and history and accolades Ben has you would have a little more pride than that.

You assume correctly, but I liken this for Askren more to something like Albert Pujols batting .224 last year.   No one will really remember it when they look back on his career IMO.   And most people will probably mostly just make fun of him more for the Masvidal knee anyway.

And let's be honest, most of the people in attendance there didn't know who he was in the first place.  Even Michael Buffer called him a "Big Ten Champion."   He did do tons of interviews before the fight and was getting a lot of positive feedback from them, If anything he might've picked up a few fans for his other like 10 (non-FRL) podcasts and such that he does.

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

You assume correctly, but I liken this for Askren more to something like Albert Pujols batting .224 last year.   No one will really remember it when they look back on his career IMO.   And most people will probably mostly just make fun of him more for the Masvidal knee anyway.

And let's be honest, most of the people in attendance there didn't know who he was in the first place.  Even Michael Buffer called him a "Big Ten Champion."   He did do tons of interviews before the fight and was getting a lot of positive feedback from them, If anything he might've picked up a few fans for his other like 10 (non-FRL) podcasts and such that he does.

Didn't they announce him as "Ben Askew"?? 

11 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Would you do it? I probably wouldn't. Not that they'd be asking an old fatass former wrestler to fight. oh wait.......

I wouldn't fight Jake Paul because he has like 50 pounds on me, but if I was his size and had 3 months of training or whatever, yeah I probably would have for $500K.  Probably would have upped my life insurance policy first, and definitely would've been more likely to be the guy that faked getting hit in the nuts than Askren getting rocked in the head.

Just now, 1032004 said:

I wouldn't fight Jake Paul because he has like 50 pounds on me, but if I was his size and had 3 months of training or whatever, yeah I probably would have for $500K.  Probably would have upped my life insurance policy first, and definitely would've been more likely to be the guy that faked getting hit in the nuts than Askren getting rocked in the head.

I suppose I probably would. I got embarrassed a few times on the mat and didn't get a penny :D 

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I suppose I probably would. I got embarrassed a few times on the mat and didn't get a penny :D 

I mean there is probably a greater risk of death in boxing especially if you don't really know what you're doing.  Honestly I bet his wife didn't even want him to get up after that hit.

Edited by 1032004

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think it would be closer to Pujols striking out his last 100 at bats by barely even attempting to make contact with the ball and then laughing about it on the way to the dugout.  .224 at least is an effort (I think....I don't watch baseball haha) 

Maybe I'm just being a little sore here because I was hoping he would bring some more positive attention to wrestling.  Like him or hate him (absolutely despise him) Jake Paul is popular.  If Ben would've knocked him out, maybe he could've promoted our sport a little more.  Now one of our most outspoken and highest acheiving athletes was just made to look like an absolute buffoon.  

Edited by JBluegill133

28 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Maybe I'm just being a little sore here because I was hoping he would bring some more positive attention to wrestling.  Like him or hate him (absolutely despise him) Jake Paul is popular.  If Ben would've knocked him out, maybe he could've promoted our sport a little more.  Now one of our most outspoken and highest acheiving athletes was just made to look like an absolute buffoon.  

I agree. Askren is probably the wrestling commmunity's most famous person when it comes to the mainstream (yes more famous than Burroughs, Cael, Spencer Lee and the rest of our cast of kooky characters) and with all his accolades the legitimacy of how badass wrestlers are took a big hit when it comes to the perception of the mainstream masses.

39 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I mean there is probably a greater risk of death in boxing especially if you don't really know what you're doing.  Honestly I bet his wife didn't even want him to get up after that hit.

Well at least Askren doesn't have to worry about somebody making him uglier. 

I was a pretty good wrestler by the time my dad took me to watch my age division (12-13 year olds) fighting at the local Golden Gloves tournament. I was a pretty tough kid and Dad knew I loved contact sports. Dad asked me after the fights were over "so son, how'd you like to learn boxing?". I declined. The idea of getting punched in the face regularly wasn't very appealing to me. Better to wrestle and **** up my joints, lol. 

36 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Maybe I'm just being a little sore here because I was hoping he would bring some more positive attention to wrestling.  Like him or hate him (absolutely despise him) Jake Paul is popular.  If Ben would've knocked him out, maybe he could've promoted our sport a little more.  Now one of our most outspoken and highest acheiving athletes was just made to look like an absolute buffoon paid a boatload of money to play the 'loser' in a fixed fight that was sold as resembling legitimate boxing (but had very little boxing skills involved.)

Fixed it for you.

Fixed it for you.

Honestly if he comes out and says, “of course I threw the fight and it was all scripted” I think it wouldn’t sting as much as thinking he legitimately trained and got knocked out by a YouTube tiktocker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JBluegill133 said:

I gave up on MMA bringing glory to wrestling years ago. I don't like the damage a lot of our boys are taking out there in MMA and I think the sport is barbaric. Not to say the barbarian in me doesn't like bloodsports, but I don't want OUR kids doing them.  I realize that to the kids who finished their wrestling careers (especially if they didn't take legit majors that could make them decent money) that MMA bucks look pretty tempting, but they are selling themselves pretty cheaply in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Actually, this fight and getting KOed by Masvidal in 5 seconds are the only things Askren will be remembered for by 99% of people. Those two fights really define his entire MMA career, as he has zero notable wins (people in the MMA community don't give him credit for his "win" against Lawler).  He will go down as a great folkstyle wrestler who became a punchline in MMA.  It's not even close to the Pujols comparison, who was one of the best in MLB over the past 20 years and is a 1st ballot HOF.  If Jon Jones or Cormier take a fight like this, that would fit the Pujols comparison.  

With all that said, maybe there is a third act for Askren.  It definitely won't be as a media personality, because he is awful on FRL.  But between his wrestling academy, and possibly a move back into coaching, I wouldn't count him out.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

On 12/23/2020 at 4:09 PM, nom said:

Please please please don’t watch this.  

post above is from pg 1 of this thread

Since I seem to have been ignored, I scornfully smirk at all of you that spent money on this.  LOL

5 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Cant help but think wrestling took a hit tonight amongst the non-wrestling community. 

Not sure who should be more embarassed, wrestling or MMA.

Other than being tough and in great physical shape, there probably is not that much overlap between wrestling and boxing. Now, Askren is not even in shape. So maybe it's not surprising he did about as well as a retired basketball player. MMA guys, OTOH, are supposed to be able to punch and take a bunch. But everyone in MMA says that Askren was no good at punching. He is also retired from MMA.

Bottom line is that Askren, I think, has ruined any chance of coming back to MMA and won't be welcome as a wrestling commentator or coach. He probably hurt both his sports along the way. From all I hear, the entire culture took a hit from the production, too.

But maybe he can cash in on his new fame, as dubious as it may be. 

I am just glad I did not watch it,  and did not try to watch it. I am sad that I was interested in the outcome, which turned out to be a disgrace for a hero of our sport.

Edited by NJDan

1 hour ago, nom said:

post above is from pg 1 of this thread

Since I seem to have been ignored, I scornfully smirk at all of you that spent money on this.  LOL

I just lost money betting on it is all. Ironically it was money that I'd made from betting on other notable wrestlers in MMA, Gaethje and Cejudo.

What are the odds that they just pretend this never happened on FRL this tuesday? Also hilarious that Willie made some money on Askren getting embarassed.

Pretty incredible that Askren has managed to totally destroy his legacy. He went from relative unknown, but respect within the mma community, to national punchline. 

16 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

What are the odds that they just pretend this never happened on FRL this tuesday? Also hilarious that Willie made some money on Askren getting embarassed.

Pretty incredible that Askren has managed to totally destroy his legacy. He went from relative unknown, but respect within the mma community, to national punchline. 

Idk. Look at Askren. The dude was clearly not in shape and just had a hip replacement, what 6 months ago? He still went out and fought. Really, do you think he cares about legacy? He just made 500k-1m. Legacy is great and all that but you cant pay the bills with it unless you're a GOAT status. He never was.