TripNSweep

Ben Askren to box YouTube celeb in March

Wow, just went back and watched Askren-Maia and then Jake Paul's 2 fights. 

I definitely changed my mind. I don't think Ben should take this fight if it's a boxing match. Jake Paul can throw some bombs and his punches are quicker. Plus Paul has a much younger body.

Would rather see them fight mma rules. 

22 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Askren will win. You have to be a great competitor to do that well in wrestling. 

You have to admit that this is like saying a boxer who is a really great competitor can beat a pretty good wrestler.

Unless that boxer has some significant wrestling skills - he's toast against a good wrestler.

11 hours ago, Idaho said:

And you get this from Paul’s 2 fights versus...a YouTuber and a retired basketball player? 

I trust Joe Rogan's opinion.

Edited by stp

13 hours ago, Idaho said:

And you get this from Paul’s 2 fights versus...a YouTuber and a retired basketball player? 

Got it from watching Ben Askren's stand up. Paul isn't some professional, but it's easy to see that he's a considerably better boxer than Ben Askren

Modern hip replacements are different...I am in my mid fifties and had one in September.  I was doing construction work 7 days after surgery.   6 weeks after surgery I was released to do any gym exercise...including squats deadlifts etc...and I'm a fat tub of goo.  So a highly trained athlete like Askren should be able to box half a year after surgery. 

Ben trained with Duke Roufus, one of the better Muay Thai trainers out there, who is known for getting in his fighters' faces if they don't maintain good defense.  I'm not surprised to see him trying a spinning backlist, but am a little surprised at how awkward he looks.  

17 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

You have to admit that this is like saying a boxer who is a really great competitor can beat a pretty good wrestler.

Unless that boxer has some significant wrestling skills - he's toast against a good wrestler.

Yeah but Askren has competed where people can and have hit him. Other than a flying knee he got rocked a few times and kept fighting. He's a lot tougher than people think. Just because he got hit with a 1 in a 100,000 flying knee doesn't mean anything. The guy can take punches from professionals wearing much smaller gloves. Boxing some YouTube star who is not a real fighter is going to be pretty easy. 

4 hours ago, moose41 said:

Maybe it’s just about money and increasing his brand.....Paul reportedly received over a million dollar payout for the Robinson fight.  $750000 to show and 1/2 the ppv payout.   

I’d be shocked if he got 1/2 the PPV payout considering Tyson and Jones Jr. headlines it and would think their agents would be calling for a part of the PPV cut before anyone else got one. No one with any real fighting interest was buying the PPV for Paul they wanted to see if Tyson and Jones were willing to throw and the undercard was extra.  And a lot of people clicking his content to help pay his social media empire aren’t likely to shell out money for the fight when most are happy keep clicking on his free content as usual.  For that I can’t see someone offering out a substantial about of PPV points hoping he would be the selling point that the PPV buys depend on.  Plus the company wants their share of the PPV money. 

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

Vegas is pretty accurate and they aren’t feeling Ben. Bet $100 on Ben and you make $255, $100 on Jake and you make $152. 

Could the fact that Paul has a larger following (and thus more people likely to bet on him) play a role in that?

Also probably doesn’t help Askren that he’s best known for getting knocked out in 5 seconds.   But he was a champion in both wrestling and MMA, I don’t see any internet celebrities making quick work of him.

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Could the fact that Paul has a larger following (and thus more people likely to bet on him) play a role in that?

Also probably doesn’t help Askren that he’s best known for getting knocked out in 5 seconds.   But he was a champion in both wrestling and MMA, I don’t see any internet celebrities making quick work of him.

Yep,  Vegas doesn’t want too much action on any one side.

On 12/25/2020 at 10:39 AM, nhs67 said:

Lol at people using a fight in MMA against the best modern mma grappler we may ever see and comparing the boxing of it to an actual boxing fight.

Askren will win.

Uh, Maia clearly proved he is the better grappler.  On the other hand, Maia may be the only MMA fighter we ever see second to Askren in stand up.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Uh, Maia clearly proved he is the better grappler.  On the other hand, Maia may be the only MMA fighter we ever see second to Askren in stand up.

That is my point.  Askren wasn't going to commit to boxing form or technique while trying to throw hands.  He'd have gotten taken down. 

As I've posted before, I'm a huge Ben Askren fan.

If they do fight this boxing match, wouldn't be surprised to see Ben take care of himself and hold his own. At the same time I could see Paul eventually landing that roundhouse/hook/haymaker to the side of the head behind the ear. Probably apples to oranges, but Dos Santos ko'd Cain with a similar punch and that punch looked like JDS didn't even get all of it and Cain still dropped.

Sure, Paul's just a youtube celeb but he looks like a decent athlete, he's much younger and he punches hard. Ben's coming off a big surgery and he's not getting younger (maybe he should talk to Dake).

Any chance they can fight mma rules? Really hope Ben talks about this on FRL.  

On 12/24/2020 at 7:12 AM, dman115 said:

Exactly...to compare basketball to MMA and Sr. level wrestling is completely asinine.  

With that being said...I am an Askren fan, but not sure I understand this move other than maybe Ben wants a chance to beat the crap out of this a^% hat.

Not only is he an a^%hat but if anything has become clear over his career its that Askren loves competing, money and attention. I think it's pretty obvious why he's doing this (big money and brand building opportunity). It's why everyone is trying to get the Paul fight except those who have anything to lose by an upset like McGregor. Askren is retired and has nothing to lose by taking a loss here. It's similar to him taking that wrestling match against Burroughs.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:36 PM, 2td3nf said:

Wow, just went back and watched Askren-Maia and then Jake Paul's 2 fights. 

I definitely changed my mind. I don't think Ben should take this fight if it's a boxing match. Jake Paul can throw some bombs and his punches are quicker. Plus Paul has a much younger body.

Would rather see them fight mma rules. 

You took that away from Paul's fights? Nate Robinson was basically lunging into punches. It was a hilarious fight but I don't think you could take much away from it or the other one. 

On 12/25/2020 at 3:04 AM, stp said:

I trust Joe Rogan's opinion.

Might want to take it with a grain of salt. Neither of those clips were even about the person being discussed here. Logan was a much better wrestler (better athlete?) and still lost twice to another YouTuber. 

May want to mute: 

Edited by Relentless125