TripNSweep

Ben Askren to box YouTube celeb in March

Just watched some of Askren’s fight highlights.  He seemed to be pretty decent at punching guys while on the ground.  I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to translate that into to doing the same thing standing up knowing that’s the sole style of the fight 

While there are some “techniques” to proper ground and pound striking it not going to necessarily transfer over to having skills at boxing. For one their is a lot more foot movement, head movement, and set ups when standing up compared to someone held down on the ground.  I’ve found it’s much easier for a MMA novice to pick up the few ground and pound rules than it is for them to become good at proper standup boxing movements.  

In fact there is some decent differences to MMA style striking standup and boxing. The kicks, grappling holds, and takedown would cause a good striking coach to teach you some different techniques for hitting and defending than what you would be taught in a pure boxing gym.  While a good coach could help you make the adjustments from MMA striking to boxing there is still somewhat of a reteaching process involved.  I guess the good news here is Askrens never really taken up a solid MMA striking skill set, so a decent boxing coach won’t have much to break.  However, Ben still needs some time and effort to improve his foot work, head movement, and setups if he’s going to be more of a “boxer” and less of a tough man contest style “brawler.” 

The only saving grace I see here is when you watch Ben wrestle you wouldn’t necessarily think he’s that great at that either but there is no question he was outstanding and one of the best ever.  Perhaps that was because he developed his own style but maybe he can find his way here as well. He’s got all the other intangibles but man when I watched him in mma the last thing I thought was that he had anything even remotely close to decent standup skills. I’m a huge Askren fan, I’m hoping like hell he smashes this clown, but I’m definitely not “betting the house” on it. 

17 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

The only saving grace I see here is when you watch Ben wrestle you wouldn’t necessarily think he’s that great at that either but there is no question he was outstanding and one of the best ever.  Perhaps that was because he developed his own style but maybe he can find his way here as well. He’s got all the other intangibles but man when I watched him in mma the last thing I thought was that he had anything even remotely close to decent standup skills. I’m a huge Askren fan, I’m hoping like hell he smashes this clown, but I’m definitely not “betting the house” on it. 

Not going to bet the house, but I'd bet none the less. Huge fan as well.

Edited by RED

13 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

The only saving grace I see here is when you watch Ben wrestle you wouldn’t necessarily think he’s that great at that either but there is no question he was outstanding and one of the best ever.

I actually have a really funny story about this. I was a high school assistant coach and our head coach wasn't really a wrestling guy. He was basically a weights and PE teacher who wrestled in junior high or something. When Shawn Charles became head coach at ASU and brought Ben on as an assistant, they put the word out they wanted to repair the neglect from the previous ASU coach towards local high schools. So I got in touch with Ben and he said he would be happy to come do a one day clinic for us. I brought it to our head coach who naturally had no idea who Ben was. He said he'd look into it and let me know. About 2 weeks pass and Ben texts me a few times asking what's going on. I finally went back to the head coach and basically asked what the hold up was since Ben wanted to get us on his schedule. He said he didn't think Ben was very fundamentally sound and that he didn't think he would be able to teach our kids anything useful. I never told him, hey sorry our coach thinks you suck at wrestling, it was much more cordial than that. But it was really funny. This was the same coach who didn't want lewboo in the room either despite knowing full well who he was. 

On 12/26/2020 at 9:21 PM, Relentless125 said:

Not only is he an a^%hat but if anything has become clear over his career its that Askren loves competing, money and attention. I think it's pretty obvious why he's doing this (big money and brand building opportunity). It's why everyone is trying to get the Paul fight except those who have anything to lose by an upset like McGregor. Askren is retired and has nothing to lose by taking a loss here. It's similar to him taking that wrestling match against Burroughs.

You took that away from Paul's fights? Nate Robinson was basically lunging into punches. It was a hilarious fight but I don't think you could take much away from it or the other one. 

Might want to take it with a grain of salt. Neither of those clips were even about the person being discussed here. Logan was a much better wrestler (better athlete?) and still lost twice to another YouTuber. 

May want to mute: 

I'm from Ohio and have heard/watched a handful of JP's matches over the recent years.  The Buckeye state does have some decent wrestlers, but it also depends which division and weight class you are competing.  Many times in Ohio the three best wrestlers at any given weight are at different divisions....        

On 12/25/2020 at 6:04 AM, stp said:

I trust Joe Rogan's opinion.

Joe Rogan actually said he thought Askren would win.   Former UFC fighter Michael Bisping seemed to think Paul would (if it happens, as Relentless125 pointed out, seems like it may not)

On 12/29/2020 at 2:44 PM, stp said:

I'm from Ohio and have heard/watched a handful of JP's matches over the recent years.  The Buckeye state does have some decent wrestlers, but it also depends which division and weight class you are competing.  Many times in Ohio the three best wrestlers at any given weight are at different divisions....        

Respectfully, if you know who he is why did you post videos with Rogan talking about his brother?

I'm not from Ohio but I thought what I read was they were in D1. Isn't that your big school class? I guess you're saying he had an easier time making it to state or placing?

Logan Paul, the brother who's going to be boxing Mayweather, is the one who placed 5th. I haven't seen anything that says Jake Paul made it to state but you might know better.

8 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

Respectfully, if you know who he is why did you post videos with Rogan talking about his brother?

I'm not from Ohio but I thought what I read was they were in D1. Isn't that your big school class? I guess you're saying he had an easier time making it to state or placing?

Logan Paul, the brother who's going to be boxing Mayweather, is the one who placed 5th. I haven't seen anything that says Jake Paul made it to state but you might know better.

Because I'm an idiot.  Honestly I thought both placed at state, but appear to be wrong.  Obviously I've gotten the brothers confused.  Not a follower of their youtube antics.....lol.

As for D1 being easier than D2 or D3, it entirely depends on the year.  In D2 you have perennial national ranked St Paris Graham and D3 you have multiple teams with a strong history. 

Hopefully Ben's getting paid a lot of money - enough to cover the cost of his pride.  He may leave the ring without it.  

He's 36.  He's an atrocious striker.  He has a newly replaced hip.  He's been badly KO'ed before.  This is a very losable fight for him.  And I'm saying this as a fan of his.  I'd love for him to come out and starch Paul, but Paul is much younger, has wrestled, and has much more to lose by being made to look like a fool.  Image is everything in the YouTube line of work.          

31 minutes ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

Hopefully Ben's getting paid a lot of money - enough to cover the cost of his pride.  He may leave the ring without it.  

He's 36.  He's an atrocious striker.  He has a newly replaced hip.  He's been badly KO'ed before.  This is a very losable fight for him.  And I'm saying this as a fan of his.  I'd love for him to come out and starch Paul, but Paul is much younger, has wrestled, and has much more to lose by being made to look like a fool.  Image is everything in the YouTube line of work.          

*Askren raises his hand.

2 hours ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

I’d pick Askren, and I’m not sure he’d win.  But if he doesn’t, I don’t think “because Jake Paul wrestled” would be a reason.   Logan placed in states...seems like Jake was likely mediocre.   Meanwhile Askren was one of the best college wrestlers of all time and is only a couple years removed from a successful MMA career.

A little less than 2 years ago, Ben Askren got picked up and dropped on his head by Robbie Lawler, and Lawler then proceeded to unload on Askren with everything he had for 30 to 45 seconds.  Ben composed himself, got up and proceeded to choke Lawler out a few minutes later.  

People think getting hit by a youtuber is going to affect Ben?  And some think he is going to get knocked out?  Not a chance.  That is seriously underestimating the toughness he developed as a world class athlete for 15+ years.

Ben's striking was horrendous during his UFC stint (and marginally better earlier), but I assume he is going to improve at least some as he focuses his training for this fight.  Ben predicts he will win by TKO in the 7th round because he will wear Paul out.  That sounds about right to be, but I predict a round or a few earlier.

I don't understand why anyone thinks Paul has a decent chance to win. He isn't an elite athlete. Never has been and never will be. He boxes for fame. He doesn't need the money. Askren on the other hand is and was an elite wrestler and MMA fighter. He's fought people in real fights who could have and in a few cases hurt him badly. In all but one of those fights he still won. He's much tougher and grittier than Paul is. He understands what he needs to do to win and I think he will do it. It won't be some spectacular fight where he outclasses him in boxing. But I think Askren having had chances to fight elite strikers and at least occasionally stand in front of them gives him an edge. If those guys with tiny gloves couldn't knock him out, I don't have much hope for Paul, a non fighter, wearing boxing gloves. The only chance he has is to catch Askren in the first minute or two. After that he's going to get methodically beaten up.