TripNSweep

Ben Askren to box YouTube celeb in March

When Askren was on Rogan he said he knew that he was never going to be an elite striker and would rely on his wrestling to win MMA fights.  He claimed that he spent a lot of time practicing "not getting hit" more that becoming an actual striker himself.  I would imagine he is hoping to win by not getting hit.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:59 PM, Broomstick said:

Ben's striking was horrendous during his UFC stint (and marginally better earlier), but I assume he is going to improve at least some as he focuses his training for this fight.  Ben predicts he will win by TKO in the 7th round because he will wear Paul out.  That sounds about right to be, but I predict a round or a few earlier.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I can't know for sure, but it certainly feels like Ben Askren is taking his training for this fight a bit more seriously than Nate Robinson took for his fight. The difference between that video and prior videos of Askren throwing a punch are light years apart.

And no sign of hip surgery that I could see. He moved smoothly.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

1 hour ago, Noodler said:

Askren has been good at everything he's tried. Paul has absolutely no talent at anything. Those of us who got this at better than 2:1 months ago are feeling pretty good right now. 

For your sake I hope you didn't get those odds from @Jimmy Cinnabon or @Blue Dragons

Mr Funky Slow Twitch was on a podcast with Jake’s brother Logan.  Funky said if Jake is any good, he will win.  He expects that Jake has not had enough battle experience and will wilt when the going gets tough.  Per Logan, Jake has about three years of boxing experience and is beyond celebrity boxing talent.

4 hours ago, jross said:

Mr Funky Slow Twitch was on a podcast with Jake’s brother Logan.  Funky said if Jake is any good, he will win.  He expects that Jake has not had enough battle experience and will wilt when the going gets tough.  Per Logan, Jake has about three years of boxing experience and is beyond celebrity boxing talent.

Is "3 years of experience" supposed to be good?   I can't imagine there are many successful NCAA wrestlers with 3 years of experience.

23 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Is "3 years of experience" supposed to be good?   I can't imagine there are many successful NCAA wrestlers with 3 years of experience.

That is partly why Funky took the match... 

Ben’s just not worked at ever being a well rounded boxer until very recently.  I expect the fight will come to Ben moving well, clinching a lot, and having the head fakes and gloves up to block Paul big punch flurries.  If he does that he can likely wear Paul down and may actually gain some in the middle and later rounds.  However, if he’s only worried about striking and not moving/blocking I think Paul can tee off on Askrens head enough to the point here at best Bens only got enough to nearly hang around in those middle and later rounds rather than gaining in the points.  I don’t like the Paul’s at all, but I’m just not sure Ben has the boxing defense and in-bout focus to prevent the early damage that I’m sure Paul will be looking for.  

I don't follow Askren's MMA career, but he has looked pretty flabby lately. Also, I see, his MMA career ended badly and he retired. I can sort of understand why someone would watch a 50-plus Mike Tyson box. But why would anyone want to pay to see Askren box?

Askren faced Jorge Masvidal on July 6, 2019, at UFC 239,[53] and was violently knocked out with a flying knee five seconds into the first round, the fastest knockout in UFC history.[54]

Askren faced Demian Maia on October 26, 2019, at UFC on ESPN+ 20,[55] and lost the fight via submission in round three.[56] This fight earned him the Fight of the Night award.[57]

On November 18, 2019, Askren announced his retirement from mixed martial arts competition.[58]

23 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I don't follow Askren's MMA career, but he has looked pretty flabby lately. Also, I see, his MMA career ended badly and he retired. I can sort of understand why someone would watch a 50-plus Mike Tyson box. But why would anyone want to pay to see Askren box?

To be fair...Askren has always been, "flabby."

27 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Askren faced Jorge Masvidal on July 6, 2019, at UFC 239,[53] and was violently knocked out with a flying knee five seconds into the first round, the fastest knockout in UFC history.[54]

Askren faced Demian Maia on October 26, 2019, at UFC on ESPN+ 20,[55] and lost the fight via submission in round three.[56] This fight earned him the Fight of the Night award.[57]

On November 18, 2019, Askren announced his retirement from mixed martial arts competition.[58]

No offense intended, but sounds like you're pretty out of the loop on this one.

There's a few reasons why people want to watch this, mainly the fact that Jake Paul is a very popular, and very disliked, internet celebrity. He's been talking trash for years to actual fighters trying to make a big payday, and landed on Askren, likely due to the fact that Askren is low hanging fruit from an MMA perspective. Many people want to see Askren shut him up and there's quite a bit of intrigue as to whether or not Jake Paul actually has the goods. 

51 minutes ago, backpack said:

No offense intended, but sounds like you're pretty out of the loop on this one.

There's a few reasons why people want to watch this, mainly the fact that Jake Paul is a very popular, and very disliked, internet celebrity. He's been talking trash for years to actual fighters trying to make a big payday, and landed on Askren, likely due to the fact that Askren is low hanging fruit from an MMA perspective. Many people want to see Askren shut him up and there's quite a bit of intrigue as to whether or not Jake Paul actually has the goods. 

I seriously mean no offense:  how old are you?  THis might be a generational thing.

2 hours ago, jchapman said:

I seriously mean no offense:  how old are you?  THis might be a generational thing.

Of course it's a generational thing as the the paul brothers main demographic are the teenage and young adult groups. As the brothers age the demographic slightly changes but overall it's about the same. The intrigue with this fight is for those who like spectacles and want to see Jake paul getting ko'd as it seems many people don't like this guy and understandably so. With Ben being the opponent, that has drawn in the interest of mma fans as well. Jake paul even got jorge masvidal to help troll Ben so the mma community is well aware of the fight just as us in the wrestling community are aware. Jake paul seems like a legit scumbag. His brother Logan is kind of a tool as well but he at least seems like a relatively smart and self aware guy, unlike his brother. No I don't follow them this is what I've surmised based on the press conference and listening to Logans podcast with Ben. 

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

Anyone with an understanding of BJJ knows how good Demian Maia is.  His no-gi subs are off the charts; I can't imagine what it would be like rolling with him wearing gis.