TripNSweep

Ben Askren to box YouTube celeb in March

11 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Somehow Askren's the underdog. I don't see how he loses - personal pride and base level cardio should be enough to get Askren the win. Just debating on whether to bet the straight-up win vs. the higher payout TKO.

100 to win 475 seems like a great bet? You've just about talked me into it.

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

100 to win 475 seems like a great bet? You've just about talked me into it.

I may be misstating this - I'm not exactly a veteran gambler. I think the $475 payout may include the initial $100 bet? So a $100 bet nets $375? I'm gonna split the baby and bet half on a win and half on a KO/TKO.

Funny that I'm interested enough to bet on this fight, but not interested enough to spend $50 to watch the PPV.

6 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I may be misstating this - I'm not exactly a veteran gambler. I think the $475 payout may include the initial $100 bet? So a $100 bet nets $375? I'm gonna split the baby and bet half on a win and half on a KO/TKO.

Funny that I'm interested enough to bet on this fight, but not interested enough to spend $50 to watch the PPV.

I understood your post to mean 100 for 375. I just didn't want to misquote you.

I agree with the, "interested" part. It seems easier to bet on it than it is to watch it.

8 hours ago, NJDan said:

Is that really the number? 

Also, does anyone know how he chose Askren for an opponent. I mean, it's not as if Askren is all that famous (or is he?)

I think Paul was looking for someone with a mouth that he could:

A. Use to help sell the fight. 
B. Had some MMA experience in a known organization, hopefully UFC, so if he did win he could use it to sell himself in any future publicity and other fighting events.  But, it also had to be a MMA fighter with very piss pour striking ability.  

There are only a few fighters that fit both descriptions at his weight range because rarely does someone make it to high level MMA without at least an OK striking game.   Trying to target Dillon Danis seemed logical.  He is quite a mouthpiece, had subpar boxing since he’s mostly been BBJ player, and has a training link to Connor McGregor.  I’m sure Paul would have loved to have McGregor interject himself into comment on the bout to help sell it.   

After Danis declined Askren seemed like another logical choice.  Ben loves the banter of the preflight buildup.  He had a great MMA record and was in the UFC until just recently, which for those not closely following MMA they would makes Ben a big time threat for the fight. But in reality he’s had minimal and really pour striking technique in his fights. He is coming off a layoff and surgery.  He was basically retired.  All things that  would give Paul hope he could possibly win and then promote himself to the media/fans as the guy that beat a solid MMA fighter.  Sure, Ben is a solid MMA fighter but not in striking as many people on the outside would just assume.  

On the other hand Paul wouldn’t go after anyone from the UFC with more well rounded striking because he wouldn’t have a punchers chance.  He wouldn’t start by calling on guys from really low MMA organization cause that wouldn’t sell the fight.   Though it might have came to that though if a bigger fish didn’t bit.  Nor would he get a UFC guy like Mia because Damion had been nothing but humble so he’s not the preflight mouthpiece nor likely interested in a publicity stunt based striking when he knows he’s bad at it.  

Edited by MadMardigain

15 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

B. Had some MMA experience in a known organization, hopefully UFC, so if he did win he could use it to sell himself in any future publicity and other fighting events.  But, it also had to be a MMA fighter with very piss pour striking ability.  

There are only a few fighters that fit both descriptions because rarely does someone make it to high level MMA without a OK striking game.   Trying to target Dillon Danis seemed logical.  He is quite a mouthpiece, had subpar boxing since he’s mostly been BBJ player, and has a training link to Connor McGregor.  I’m sure Paul would have loved to have McGregor interject himself into comment on the bout to help sell it.   

After Danis declined Askren seemed like another logical choice.  Ben loves the banter of the preflight buildup.  He had a great MMA record and was in the UFC until just recently, which for those not closely following MMA they would makes Ben a big time threat for the fight. But in reality he’s had minimal and really pour striking technique in his fights. He is coming off a layoff and surgery.  He was basically retired.  All things that  would give Paul hope he could possibly win and then promote himself to the media/fans as the guy that beat a solid MMA fighter.  Sure, Ben is a solid MMA fighter but not in striking as many people on the outside would just assume.  

On the other hand Paul wouldn’t go after anyone from the UFC with more well rounded striking because he wouldn’t have a punchers chance.  He wouldn’t start by calling on guys from really low MMA organization cause that wouldn’t sell the fight.   Though it might have came to that though if a bigger fish didn’t bit.  Nor would he get a UFC guy like Mia because Damion had been nothing but humble so he’s not the preflight mouthpiece nor likely interested in a publicity stunt based striking when he knows he’s bad at it.  

Askren moved to UFC, but he was a punching bag when he got there. He had all his success in the Junior Varsity level Bellator.  Who better for Paul to challenge? 

Edited by TobusRex

48 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

There are only a few fighters that fit both descriptions at his weight range because rarely does someone make it to high level MMA without at least an OK striking game.   Trying to target Dillon Danis seemed logical.  He is quite a mouthpiece, had subpar boxing since he’s mostly been BBJ player, and has a training link to Connor McGregor.  I’m sure Paul would have loved to have McGregor interject himself into comment on the bout to help sell it.   

So what you are saying, in the old fight jargon, is that Askren is a tomato can, or at least Paul thinks so.

8 minutes ago, NJDan said:

So what you are saying, in the old fight jargon, is that Askren is a tomato can, or at least Paul thinks so.

Yea I’d say in Paul’s crews eyes he is with the added benefit of being good for promoting the fight.  Hopefully Askren has developed some solid strike defense and can wear Paul down after the first few rounds of flurries.  Would like nothing more than to see Paul dying in the ring with Askren able to actually mount a decent striking offense.  

44 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Yea I’d say in Paul’s crews eyes he is with the added benefit of being good for promoting the fight.  Hopefully Askren has developed some solid strike defense and can wear Paul down after the first few rounds of flurries.  Would like nothing more than to see Paul dying in the ring with Askren able to actually mount a decent striking offense.  

I think Paul's exhaustion is the likely outcome. Whether Askren can deliver a KO on a guy that can't move or raise his hands in defence is the question. 

11 hours ago, Ohio Elite said:

Askrens not getting any PPV points for this fight. Anybody who can find a link to a free stream, let us know.  I would hate to give Jake Paul a dime.

Search Youtube right when it starts.   

6 hours ago, Katie said:

I will not be watching, but I noticed a report saying that Paul will be earning $690k, and Askren will be earning $500k.

That’s is guerenteed comp. Askren would get a significant win bonus and Paul gets PPV points+Win bonus

6 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Gotta love Ben. God I hope he wins this fight. Paul has a lot of height on him. I say cover up for three rounds. Get him tired then go after it. 

390EF5E6-A2CF-42E6-AD18-A81A84835A6A.jpeg

Ben Askren, unapologetically rocking the dad bod to a lot of impressive victories...and shameless defeats, since ~2010. Just goes to show that a pound is in fact not always equal to a pound, that dude just moves differently.  I wonder how his hip will impact things, if at all.

15 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Askren moved to UFC, but he was a punching bag when he got there. He had all his success in the Junior Varsity level Bellator.  Who better for Paul to challenge? 

He did beat Lawler even though it was controversial (and managed to stay conscious himself proving that he could take “varsity” punches).   And I believe the Maia fight was close.   People are really putting too much emphasis on one nasty knee from Masvidal.

Askren was a legit fighter.  If anything the complaint should be about how he was retired and coming off hip surgery.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:25 PM, Fletcher said:

I may be misstating this - I'm not exactly a veteran gambler. I think the $475 payout may include the initial $100 bet? So a $100 bet nets $375?

If you lose, you are out the $100. If you win, you owe nothing (or get back the $100 if you pay up front), and you get $475. So, your net is the full $475.

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

He did beat Lawler even though it was controversial (and managed to stay conscious himself proving that he could take “varsity” punches).   And I believe the Maia fight was close.   People are really putting too much emphasis on one nasty knee from Masvidal.

Askren was a legit fighter.  If anything the complaint should be about how he was retired and coming off hip surgery.

Well my point is Askren was never a top shelf guy or he'd have been in UFC hammering guys. His punching skills are weak, and his match vs the youtube guy is nothing but boxing. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost. 

22 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Gotta love Ben. God I hope he wins this fight. Paul has a lot of height on him. I say cover up for three rounds. Get him tired then go after it. 

390EF5E6-A2CF-42E6-AD18-A81A84835A6A.jpeg

Set your eyes on the body of a world class athlete ladies and gentlemen.