Sign in to follow this  
Sheerstress

RIP Dan Hodge

Met him in 1997 at the NCAA tournament in  Cedar Falls he talked with us for a long time and what stories he had. He told us he used to take the Sunday paper and  palm and roll up every page one at a time and smash them to build his grip.

Dan and I met for the first time in 1975 when I drove to Perry to interview him for my book "Two Guys Named Dan". He and his wife Dolores became very dear friends with my wife Bev and me. They were our guests many times at the WIN Memorabilia Show during the NCAA tournament and the fans loved him. I never knew a celebrity that was more patient and kind to all those who came to meet him and get an autograph. Some were even brave enough to shake his hand, and once in a great while someone would say "Give me a shot, Dan!" and in seconds they were begging him to let go! While Dan was entertaining the fans, Dolores was working with Bev behind the tables. They were an incredible team for over 60 years! In 1995, I created "The Heisman Trophy of wrestling" and named it for Dan. In 2009, I wrote his biography entitled "Oklahoma Shooter: The Dan Hodge Story" and it sold out within a year. Dan and Dolores stayed with us many times in our home in Newton, Iowa, and we have stayed with them in Perry. I have never known anyone like him and today there is a big hole in my heart. -- Mike Chapman

My first college loss was in a wrestle-off to a guy about 80 lbs heavier than me, it was brutal, it was a mess, it was my first time wrestling in over 2 years. I was embarrassed and ashamed, nobody should want to address the guy who got turned into a pretzel and stuck so fast they barely announced our names. But 1 person went past all the winners and super competitive guys and put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed....immediately my shoulder felt like applesauce, only fitting to as it was the Iconic Apple Crushing Silver Medalist for USA in 1956 and a 3x undefeated NCAA Champ (rules prohibited freshmen)in wrestling Danny Hodge who was clutching my shoulder. He gave me a chin up kid and nowhere to go but up speech. Mr. Hodge is the epitome of class and before there was a Dan named Gable so many looked up to, there was Hodge. For those unfamiliar with the sport I love, the Heisman equivalent is named for him. RIP Mr. Hodge. You are missed already and your legacy will live on!