Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Poopy butthole

2021 "free" year conundrum

Recommended Posts

This is in reference to a recent FLR episode where Askren made a big stink about how he thinks Patrick Kennedy needs to transfer from Iowa in order to maximize his eligibility.

Got me thinking.

Couldn't Iowa, or any school for that matter, simply wrestle their freshmen in 1 or more duals, effectively burning their redshirt while securing an extra year of eligibility?

The way I see it, in Iowa's case, Patrick Kennedy could wrestle this coming year while redshirting during the, what would typically be, 2021-2022 season, and still have 4 years remaining of eligibility.

Do I have that right?

The main problem I see is that this really doesn't fix the scholarship issue that most schools are liable to run up against, and it puts the 2025 or so freshman in the same bind as this upcoming year's squad, effectively pushing the problem further down the road.

Thoughts?

Edited by Mr. Poopy butthole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have they confirmed if redshirting is even a thing this year?   I would think it shouldn’t be since it’s a free year, but haven’t seen specifics on it.  But due to the shortened schedule and lack of tournaments, there will probably be plenty of guys that don’t get any matches.

I do think Askren was going a little overboard about Kennedy.  For one we don’t know if Kemerer in particular (or Marinelli for that matter, but I assume he will since his wife works for the team) will take the extra year.  And yes Kennedy redshirting next season would give him more time in the lineup.   He’d just have to be okay with being in college for 6+ years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

This is in reference to a recent FLR episode where Askren made a big stink about how he thinks Patrick Kennedy needs to transfer from Iowa in order to maximize his eligibility.

Got me thinking.

Couldn't Iowa, or any school for that matter, simply wrestle their freshmen in 1 or more duals, effectively burning their redshirt while securing an extra year of eligibility?

The way I see it, in Iowa's case, Patrick Kennedy could wrestle this coming year while redshirting during the, what would typically be, 2021-2022 season, and still have 4 years remaining of eligibility.

Do I have that right?

The main problem I see is that this really doesn't fix the scholarship issue that most schools are liable to run up against, and it puts the 2025 or so freshman in the same bind as this upcoming year's squad, effectively pushing the problem further down the road.

Thoughts?

 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Have they confirmed if redshirting is even a thing this year?   I would think it shouldn’t be since it’s a free year, but haven’t seen specifics on it.  But due to the shortened schedule and lack of tournaments, there will probably be plenty of guys that don’t get any matches.

I do think Askren was going a little overboard about Kennedy.  For one we don’t know if Kemerer in particular (or Marinelli for that matter, but I assume he will since his wife works for the team) will take the extra year.  And yes Kennedy redshirting next season would give him more time in the lineup.   He’d just have to be okay with being in college for 6+ years.

I think this might be a slight misunderstanding of what a redshirt is. There is no official "redshirt" designation. If you don't take the mat attached, and haven't already used your redshirt, it counts as the redshirt year. In that sense, redshirting kind of isn't a thing this year as you can not wrestle attached and still have a redshirt to use again in the future. Kennedy can wrestle as many times as he wants this year or none at all and still redshirt down the road because this year doesn't count towards eligibility at all. Mr. poopy butthole is right that this causes scholarship issues down the line. It's going to be interesting to see how teams handle that.

In regards to Askren, this is just him being him. Everybody else "doesn't get it." He has a really hard time understanding that most people don't think like him or value the same things he values. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Askren's point was a general one even though he talked about Kennedy.  With the free year rule, the instant transfer rule AND the fact that the senior who is better than you is unexpectedly coming back wrestlers like him lose two years of NCAA tournaments.  He's not wrong, probably was a little too simplistic about it but someone like him could wrestle 5 NCAAs if he leaves but now the odds are good he only gets three. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Yeah, Askren's point was a general one even though he talked about Kennedy.  With the free year rule, the instant transfer rule AND the fact that the senior who is better than you is unexpectedly coming back wrestlers like him lose two years of NCAA tournaments.  He's not wrong, probably was a little too simplistic about it but someone like him could wrestle 5 NCAAs if he leaves but now the odds are good he only gets three. 

But OP’s point is he’d still get 4 if he redshirts next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I announced some NAIA duals a week back and some of the rosters had RS-Fr,  and on same roster had RS  listed.   Teams are wrestling redshirts this year in duals.  Lack of Open Tournaments,  you will see it.  Also with lots of schools picking up duals against teams of non conference and also non division you will see it more in 2nd semester.   Oklahoma State and Missouri for instance dual #3 DII Central Oklahoma.  I think you will see some RS guys tossed into that dual.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not 100% sure this is true but my kid was told by one of the upperclassmen that AS LONG AS YOU TAKE THE MAT, the year does not count. Then I read the NCAA release which says "Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21..." Anybody have an idea what happens if you don't compete? What about the Ivy league? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Not 100% sure this is true but my kid was told by one of the upperclassmen that AS LONG AS YOU TAKE THE MAT, the year does not count. Then I read the NCAA release which says "Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21..." Anybody have an idea what happens if you don't compete? What about the Ivy league? 

The problem with the Ivy is they have eligibility rules that supersede the NCAA, unless the wrestlers transfer out of the Ivy after their 4th season.  The Ivy doesn’t allow redshirts and you get 4 years of enrollment to compete. Even though the NCAA doesn’t count this year, the Ivy will if they are enrolled. So, what most Ivy guys will do this season is not enroll. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...