VakAttack

Penn State line up won't have Nick Lee and/or Kerkvleit?

There's been some extensive discussion about Lee for weeks, and on FRL today Kerk's name was thrown in, also.  @andegre or somebody they identified as wrestlestat said that neither would be in the line up, while the FRL guys seemed to think both would be.  I can't imagine a reason why either guy would not be in the lineup, but there's been a lot of smoke about Lee specifically (and Evan Wick) and was wondering if anybody had heard anything.

I just listened to FRL and came here to see if it was being discussed.  I hadn't heard that before.   Apparently Lee in particular said something about taking an ORS in this interview - https://www.rokfin.com/post/22434/Marky-Mark-and-the-Golden-Bear-Draft-Show-Ep-1-with-Guests-Nick-Lee-and-Vincenzo-Joseph

But seems like several posters on BWI are still thinking he will be in the lineup

There's been some extensive discussion about Lee for weeks, and on FRL today Kerk's name was thrown in, also.  @andegre or somebody they identified as wrestlestat said that neither would be in the line up, while the FRL guys seemed to think both would be.  I can't imagine a reason why either guy would not be in the lineup, but there's been a lot of smoke about Lee specifically (and Evan Wick) and was wondering if anybody had heard anything.

Wrestlestat is rarely correct when it comes to lineup (or roster) projections in the pre-season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure if you were asking about Wick, but he addressed the smoke in his post-match interview on the last Rokfin card.  He indicated that regardless of the eventual B1G season and the NCAA eligibility relief he would not be enrolling at Wisconsin this year but keep his home base on the west coast training primarily with Titan Mercury and Coach John Azevedo.

I am not sure if he said this specifically or I simply extracted it from his comments, but Wick has better access to diverse partners as well as travel and competition opportunities away from campus.  Considering the "campus bubbles" and the testing and travel protocols the teams will be beholden to this season, for a young man with the goal of putting himself in the best position for an Olympic berth, this line of thinking checks out.

Neither Nick Lee or Kerkvleit are listed in Track Wrestling on Penn State's roster.   I noticed this  a few weeks ago.    Looks like the entire team has pretty much certified besides Busiello, Heywaod and Boone 

There will be a slew of gents not wrestling this year with the uncertainty, as well as shortened season, due to tuition costs.  Not many gents in all of NCAAs are on a full ride.  Jordan Wood is one that comes to mind.  He has already said he's not enrolling this year at Lehigh.

On 12/29/2020 at 10:52 PM, VakAttack said:

They are now both listed on the PSU roster

https://gopsusports.com/sports/wrestling/roster

31 minutes ago, idc2 said:

That's the 2019-2020 roster, not this year's roster. I believe PSU is the only team to not post a 2020-2021 roster yet. Neither Lee nor Kerkvliet are listed on their trackwrestling roster (which is for 2020-2021). 

Just goes to show, you see what you want to see. And I clearly want to see Kerkvliet and Lee wrestling. 

On 12/30/2020 at 12:58 PM, nhs67 said:

There will be a slew of gents not wrestling this year with the uncertainty, as well as shortened season, due to tuition costs.  Not many gents in all of NCAAs are on a full ride.  Jordan Wood is one that comes to mind.  He has already said he's not enrolling this year at Lehigh.

that has changed. they are trying to get him in to school now. 

9 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

This makes more sense.  Does anybody know what the "ineligible" classification means in Track?

It means just what it says. Ineligible.

Could be any of several reasons but most all of them revolve around not being certified. Could be injury, academics, etc.

2 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

It means just what it says. Ineligible.

Could be any of several reasons but most all of them revolve around not being certified. Could be injury, academics, etc.

Interesting.  I've honestly never really looked at the Track rosters in all my years following wrestling, so I didn't know if it was some technical thing with the software that they needed to enter, or if it was actually legit tied to things like academic eligibility.

The only factor that triggers eligibility in track is whether or not the athlete is certified.  No other relevant data to eligibility is required to be logged in the track roster.  Of course, there are a wide range of reasons why an athlete wouldn't be certified, spanning from "they just haven't done it yet" to unenrolled in school, also to include a failed attempt at the hydration minimum and academic eligibility, among other possible reasons.

In the case of Kerkvleit, there is also no immediate rush to certify as it is presumable he will not have to decend to his competition weight over time.  He could certify hydrated literally the day of his first competition, although there's no good reason not to get it out of the way unless he is not currently enrolled for a few more days... I don't know what his status was in the fall.

Edited by JHRoseWrestling
Kerkvleit is hard to spell

Kervliet is certified 285, Beau Bartlett 157, Nick Lee 149. The Penn State lineup looks like its rounding into form.

125 Howard

133 RBY

141 Nick Lee

149 Beau Bartlett or Jarod Verkleeren or Luke Gardner

157 Brady Berge

165 Joe Lee

174 Carter Starocci

184 Aaron Brooks

197 Michael Beard

285 Greg Kerkvliet

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Kervliet is certified 285, Beau Bartlett 157, Nick Lee 149. The Penn State lineup looks like its rounding into form.

125 Howard

133 RBY

141 Nick Lee

149 Beau Bartlett or Jarod Verkleeren or Luke Gardner

157 Brady Berge

165 Joe Lee

174 Carter Starocci

184 Aaron Brooks

197 Michael Beard

285 Greg Kerkvliet

Where is Bartlett?

24 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Where is Bartlett?

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

125 Howard

133 RBY

141 Nick Lee

Right here! ->149 Beau Bartlett or Jarod Verkleeren or Luke Gardner

157 Brady Berge

165 Joe Lee

174 Carter Starocci

184 Aaron Brooks

197 Michael Beard

285 Greg Kerkvliet