Sign in to follow this  
nhs67

Starting Lineups-YOUR thoughts about YOUR team(s)?

Okay gents, I done seen the Mizzou thread and folks considering what lineup(s) are best and what works the best for this year.  Here's what I'm thinking for Michigan.

125: I think if this were a regular year, we'd all be saying Medley, while McHenry grew another year and Ragusin redshirts.  I don't think it's quite that simple.  If Ragusin can make the cut to 125 (keep in mind his summer weights were 57 + 2 and not actually 57kg), then I think he will give Medley a run.  He did outperform him over the summer relatively easiliy, too, I might add.  If Mchenry was ready, we'd be hearing more out of the room about him than we are now.  He may simply just be a guy who need(ed) that 118lb weight class.

133: This is Micic and next topic.  Unless for some reason(s) Micic decides to go down to 125 for NCAAs, then it is Micic here.  I would love to see Micic go 125 for NCAAs/B1Gs, but I don't see it.

141: I think wrestling the guy who will do the best here is going to be Cole Mattin.  He's just got more of the frame for the weight than his big brother Drew, who would slide into 133 more naturally if Micic weren't there.  The other possibility is Ragusin here.  If he wins in the room, I don't see why not.

149: Storr.  There isn't even another healthy guy on the roster at 149 right now, unless either of the Mattin brothers (Cole) has grown, or intends to grow.

157: A bit of depth here, but nothing near the level of Lewan.

165: Big question is Amine or Massa here.  Massa will go whatever weight he feels is best for his freestyle career, and I think that is 174, so we should see a very capable Amine (he lost to Kharchla 3-2 last year) here.  There are some role guys here that could take the burden if he gets banged up a bit, but none of his ability.

174: This is Massa, next question, I Think.  Bullock has promise, I think, but I think they want to give him a year first.  Much like McHenry, if Bullock were blowing guys out of the water in the room, we'd hear more of it by now, and Massa would be heading to 165.

184: This is the fun thing.  I think teamwise, Embree does better for them at 184, and the weight wasn't the reason for the nagging injuries last year.  He wasn't cutting much.  He's rested and rumors are he's prime and ready now.  If he goes 197 he'll only be about 190lbs without cutting.  I think that tells us we'll see him back at 184.

197: Amine here makes the most sense for him for his senior level career, too.  I think it also does more for the team with him here.  Embree can be Top5 in the B1G at 184 and Amine can win 197.  I don't think Embree is Top7 in the B1G here at 197.  The X-Factor is Garcia.  If he is like a 197lb Parris 2.0 we may very well see Amine down at 184.  Also it seems Garcia hovered around 195 during football this year.  High hopes there.  Also, even if Amine goes against his own wisdom(he's said going below 189 for college doesn't make sense to him anymore), I believe Davison beats out Embree at 197.

285: Parris.

That puts my projected starting lineup as this:
125-Medley
133-Micic
141-Mattin
149-Storr
157-Lewan
165-Amine
174-Massa
184-Embree
197-Amine
285-Parris

I think Michigan's best peak lineup would be:
125-Medley
133-Micic
141-Ragusin
149-Storr
157-Lewan
165-Amine
174-Massa
184-Amine
197-Garcia
285-Parris

Hell, if Michigan could do the drop shop and have Storr, Lewan, Amine, Massa all drop one weight class, and slide Embree in at 174, they would be lethal.  That wouldn't happen, though.

What is everyone else thinking for their teams?

10 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Okay gents, I done seen the Mizzou thread and folks considering what lineup(s) are best and what works the best for this year.  Here's what I'm thinking for Michigan.

125: I think if this were a regular year, we'd all be saying Medley, while McHenry grew another year and Ragusin redshirts.  I don't think it's quite that simple.  If Ragusin can make the cut to 125 (keep in mind his summer weights were 57 + 2 and not actually 57kg), then I think he will give Medley a run.  He did outperform him over the summer relatively easiliy, too, I might add.  If Mchenry was ready, we'd be hearing more out of the room about him than we are now.  He may simply just be a guy who need(ed) that 118lb weight class.

133: This is Micic and next topic.  Unless for some reason(s) Micic decides to go down to 125 for NCAAs, then it is Micic here.  I would love to see Micic go 125 for NCAAs/B1Gs, but I don't see it.

141: I think wrestling the guy who will do the best here is going to be Cole Mattin.  He's just got more of the frame for the weight than his big brother Drew, who would slide into 133 more naturally if Micic weren't there.  The other possibility is Ragusin here.  If he wins in the room, I don't see why not.

149: Storr.  There isn't even another healthy guy on the roster at 149 right now, unless either of the Mattin brothers (Cole) has grown, or intends to grow.

157: A bit of depth here, but nothing near the level of Lewan.

165: Big question is Amine or Massa here.  Massa will go whatever weight he feels is best for his freestyle career, and I think that is 174, so we should see a very capable Amine (he lost to Kharchla 3-2 last year) here.  There are some role guys here that could take the burden if he gets banged up a bit, but none of his ability.

174: This is Massa, next question, I Think.  Bullock has promise, I think, but I think they want to give him a year first.  Much like McHenry, if Bullock were blowing guys out of the water in the room, we'd hear more of it by now, and Massa would be heading to 165.

184: This is the fun thing.  I think teamwise, Embree does better for them at 184, and the weight wasn't the reason for the nagging injuries last year.  He wasn't cutting much.  He's rested and rumors are he's prime and ready now.  If he goes 197 he'll only be about 190lbs without cutting.  I think that tells us we'll see him back at 184.

197: Amine here makes the most sense for him for his senior level career, too.  I think it also does more for the team with him here.  Embree can be Top5 in the B1G at 184 and Amine can win 197.  I don't think Embree is Top7 in the B1G here at 197.  The X-Factor is Garcia.  If he is like a 197lb Parris 2.0 we may very well see Amine down at 184.  Also it seems Garcia hovered around 195 during football this year.  High hopes there.  Also, even if Amine goes against his own wisdom(he's said going below 189 for college doesn't make sense to him anymore), I believe Davison beats out Embree at 197.

285: Parris.

That puts my projected starting lineup as this:
125-Medley
133-Micic
141-Mattin
149-Storr
157-Lewan
165-Amine
174-Massa
184-Embree
197-Amine
285-Parris

I think Michigan's best peak lineup would be:
125-Medley
133-Micic
141-Ragusin
149-Storr
157-Lewan
165-Amine
174-Massa
184-Amine
197-Garcia
285-Parris

Hell, if Michigan could do the drop shop and have Storr, Lewan, Amine, Massa all drop one weight class, and slide Embree in at 174, they would be lethal.  That wouldn't happen, though.

What is everyone else thinking for their teams?

What about Dylan Ragusan - Is 125 to low for him?  I know Medley is pretty good but Ragusin looked to be on another level in the off season and I thought there was a chance he might start. (Yes I know that was Free Style but the kid looked great)

53 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

What about Dylan Ragusan - Is 125 to low for him?  I know Medley is pretty good but Ragusin looked to be on another level in the off season and I thought there was a chance he might start. (Yes I know that was Free Style but the kid looked great)

He never actually made 125.  The lowest he went was 130.  If he can make 125 and be effective I do believe he'll contend for AA, thusly pushing Medley (and McHenry) out for the season.  That extra 5lbs may be a bit much for him, though.

Probably a good spot to mention Willie's article on the subject, lots of interesting info.  You need a Rokfin subscription though:

https://rokfin.com/article/2723/Top-NCAA-Roster-Battles

Looks like Ridge Lovett moved up from 133 to 141 for Nebraska and beat Chad Red in a wrestleoff.  Brayton Lee to 157

18 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Probably a good spot to mention Willie's article on the subject, lots of interesting info.  You need a Rokfin subscription though:

https://rokfin.com/article/2723/Top-NCAA-Roster-Battles

Looks like Ridge Lovett moved up from 133 to 141 for Nebraska and beat Chad Red in a wrestleoff.  Brayton Lee to 157

Wow...that's pretty impressive  - WAY TO GO IDAHO!

So what happens next?  Red to 149?