Sign in to follow this  
Brutus81

Cael's Reaction to DT's Loss

Great article indeed. Taylor may not get more than 2 titles and he may never be considered better than Dake, Sanderson, or others, but he's an iconic figure that has had a truly unique impact on the sport. It's why everyone loves to watch the Magic Man, including me.

Wow. Great article.

Regardless of which side you were on..there is no doubt that everything about Dake vs. Taylor was good for our sport...and right now is when we need things like this.

Adam - You've seen him quite a bit. Will Isaiah bring similar traits to his program in the coming years?

Well, I'd never put it on somebody to be like Taylor but I think he'll have the same mindset. Can he execute like Taylor and keep that fearless, attacking style at the highest level? Only time will tell.

Reminds me of Metcalf. I think DT will be better though on the international scene, but I said it a long time ago, this guys ceiling was lower than Dakes. But still better than just about every college wrestler on the planet not named Dake or Ruth.

Ruth should have been a 4x'r as well, his 3rd place finish was due to his sometimes just getting bored on the mat, up 7-2 he gets himself planted, by wrestling lacadaisicly. He did win 5 straight matches to take 3rd but seriously he should have been a 4x'r.

My point in posting the article was how personally Cael took DT's loss.

Sometimes, there's an identification between coach and athlete, like with Ryan and Logan Steiber, that's really deep.

I wonder how Koll would have taken it if Dake had lost. Probably, the same as Cael.

One more thing about Cael -- his public persona is very vanilla, un-controversial, no bulletin material, as we all know. Behind closed doors, it's probably a totally different story -- indications are he's a very emotional person. With Brands what you see is what you get, basically. Not so with Cael, so much.

Adam - You've seen him quite a bit. Will Isaiah bring similar traits to his program in the coming years?

Well, I'd never put it on somebody to be like Taylor but I think he'll have the same mindset. Can he execute like Taylor and keep that fearless, attacking style at the highest level? Only time will tell.

The combination of Isaiah Martinez and Mark Perry is frightening. If IMar develops into a Jesse Delgado +, watch out.

The combination of Isaiah Martinez and Mark Perry is frightening. If IMar develops into a Jesse Delgado watch out.

Throw in Brooks Black and Illi is looking pretty fancy!

Acadia,

What are you talking about? Ruth was never up 7-2. He got the initial takedown than it was all Amuch after that, in fact I think he was behind 7-2. He hurt his knee in the match and medical forfeited the match. He never got planted by anybody. I feel that Ruth is the top college wrestler this year. He just makes really good wrestlers look bad.

From the article: "And he’s exactly right. While Ed Ruth is the flashy, showman — dominant in his own right — and Quentin Wright is the hometown favorite and a star that’s come full circle, there’s no doubting — Taylor is the MVP."

And just why is that? Had Ruth or Wright not won, Penn State would not have won. So I would say that MVP honors are certainly in doubt, or, if there is no doubt, Ruth would be MVP.

Taylor is great. But why is he the "obvious" MVP, but for the fact that he may be Cael's favorite?

From the article: "And he’s exactly right. While Ed Ruth is the flashy, showman — dominant in his own right — and Quentin Wright is the hometown favorite and a star that’s come full circle, there’s no doubting — Taylor is the MVP.

Taylor is great. But why is he the "obvious" MVP, but for the fact that he may be Cael's favorite?

Fact is, Taylors pins and bonus points still allowed him to score the 3rd most overall in the tourney only behind Ruth and Logan. His leadership, hype, and dominance all make him the Team MVP.

Even if Ruth got by Amuch do you think he beats Reader?? Reader was pretty darn tough as he beat Amuch pretty handily if i remember right.

I do. A healthy Ruth - even as a freshman - was just dominant and unstoppable.

Would have been fun to watch.

I'm pretty sure a senior Jon Reader defeats a healthy RS fresh Ruth. Compare the twos results that year, Reader dominated almost everyone. Ruth lost to Mike Letts, Reader beat Letts twice that year and they weren't close. Ruth had a lot of close matches that year to the likes of Luke Manuel, Scott Glasser, Ethen Lofthouse, Austin Meys, Ben Jordan and some others. I'm not saying Ruth couldn't have won, but if I'd have to guess Reader wins that match should it ever be wrestled.

I'm pretty sure a senior Jon Reader defeats a healthy RS fresh Ruth. Compare the twos results that year, Reader dominated almost everyone. Ruth lost to Mike Letts, Reader beat Letts twice that year and they weren't close. Ruth had a lot of close matches that year to the likes of Luke Manuel, Scott Glasser, Ethen Lofthouse, Austin Meys, Ben Jordan and some others. I'm not saying Ruth couldn't have won, but if I'd have to guess Reader wins that match should it ever be wrestled.

Didn't Ruth beat the number #1 and #2 ranked guys at the scuffle to give Reader that #1 spot?

Also, one year after the injury Ruth dominated Amus...

Seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that during his Freshman season, Ruth was hit and miss in some matches. He did and does get up for the big ones though. Who knows, the debate will continue.

Reminds me of Metcalf. I think DT will be better though on the international scene, but I said it a long time ago, this guys ceiling was lower than Dakes. But still better than just about every college wrestler on the planet not named Dake or Ruth.

Ruth should have been a 4x'r as well, his 3rd place finish was due to his sometimes just getting bored on the mat, up 7-2 he gets himself planted, by wrestling lacadaisicly. He did win 5 straight matches to take 3rd but seriously he should have been a 4x'r.

are you talking about a HS loss? At Beast I think?

No his QF match with Amuch his frosh year. Ruth was notorious that year for opening up big on people that year and then getting a bit lazy and sloppy and then either losing the match or allowing people to close the scoring gap. He completely erased that from his game his soph year onward.

Didn't Ruth beat the number #1 and #2 ranked guys at the scuffle to give Reader that #1 spot?

Also, one year after the injury Ruth dominated Amus...

Seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that during his Freshman season, Ruth was hit and miss in some matches. He did and does get up for the big ones though. Who knows, the debate will continue.

Yes he beat Lewnes of Cornell and Henrich of Virginia who were ranked #1 and #2 at 174 at the scuffle that year. Reader then beat Henrich in the semis and Amuch beat Lewnes in the semis at ncaa's that year. Ruth beat Henrich and then Lewnes in the consis back to back to take 3rd.

Shouldn't Lewnes have been able to beat Amuch? Maybe he wanted no part of Reader?

I wasn't saying that Reader didn't deserve #1, although reading it again, it seems that way. I was saying that there were "other" guys that Ruth was supposed to lose to that season, and he surprised many.

It would have been a great finals with all the history there for sure.

No his QF match with Amuch his frosh year. Ruth was notorious that year for opening up big on people that year and then getting a bit lazy and sloppy and then either losing the match or allowing people to close the scoring gap. He completely erased that from his game his soph year onward.

Acadia said Ruth was up 7-2 and got planted before winning 5 in a row to take 3rd. Pretty sure that is something that happened in HS, not at NCAAs. Yes he lost in quarters to Amuch as a freshman and eventually finished 3rd, but rest od details don't line up.

Acadia said Ruth was up 7-2 and got planted before winning 5 in a row to get 3rd. Pretty sure that is something that happened in HS, not at NCAAs. Yes, Amuch beat him in quarters and Ruth ended up 3rd, but rest does not add up.

I can't find the score before his med def, but he was losing. He was stuck on bottom and Amust was cranking on him hard. Not sure when the injury occurred.

He then won a close dec 7-6 over Manuel

Pinned this years #2 184 Ben Bennett

Dec Heinrich 7-2

Dec Lewnes 6-2 in the third place match.

Previously he beat them 7-2 and 11-6 respectively.

Not that it means anything, but Reader beat Heinrich 4-3 and Lewnes 7-6 (the only close matches all season?) to finish 35-0