Sign in to follow this  
Brutus81

Cael's Reaction to DT's Loss

I can't find the score before his med def, but he was losing. He was stuck on bottom and Amust was cranking on him hard. Not sure when the injury occurred.

He then won a close dec 7-6 over Manuel

Pinned this years #2 184 Ben Bennett

Dec Heinrich 7-2

Dec Lewnes 6-2 in the third place match.

Previously he beat them 7-2 and 11-6 respectively.

Not that it means anything, but Reader beat Heinrich 4-3 and Lewnes 7-6 (the only close matches all season?) to finish 35-0

Here is the match.

Mooch was beating Ruth when the injury default occurred.

Yeah, I know that, but that leaves me with two unanswered (unimportant) questions:

what was the score? (answered while posting 9-2)

When did the actual injury occur?

Consider this thread.... HIJACKED.

Fact is, Taylors pins and bonus points still allowed him to score the 3rd most overall in the tourney only behind Ruth and Logan. His leadership, hype, and dominance all make him the Team MVP.

Wouldn't that give Ruth an argument for being the MVP?

Fact is, Taylors pins and bonus points still allowed him to score the 3rd most overall in the tourney only behind Ruth and Logan. His leadership, hype, and dominance all make him the Team MVP.

I think so.

But.

Points Per Individual

Logan Stieber 27

Edward Ruth 26

David Taylor 24

Jordan Oliver 24

Kendric Maple 24

Jesse Delgado 22.5

Anthony Nelson 22

Kyle Dake 22

Quentin Wright 22

Chris Perry 20

Derek St. John 20

Only one of those guys is not a champ. Taylor wins, he's above them all. Still pretty impressive.

Still pretty impressive.

Absolutely. I actually think Taylor is top 2 or 3 p4p. I have no way of comparing him to Ruth. But Ruth is the other guy I think of as top 2 or 3. (And I have no way of comparing Ruth to Dake.) Then Oliver and Stieber.

It's really too bad one of Dake and Taylor had to lose.

My first point is not that Taylor is not the "obvious" MVP, not when they had two champs, Ruth and Wright.

My second point is that Ruth is MVP as he won the tournament and, by doing so, outscored Taylor.

My first point is not that Taylor is not the "obvious" MVP, not when they had two champs, Ruth and Wright.

My second point is that Ruth is MVP as he won the tournament and, by doing so, outscored Taylor.

The point perhaps the coaches were making is this:

At the end of Ruth's match the coaches were yelling and jumping for Ruth to cut his opponent and get another TD in order to secure a MDEC.

Taylor is the type of motivator that when he can take someone down he will, until the whistle. In that aspect he leads the team and motivates the other guys to go after more points. I doubt anyone would ever have to tell him to score more.

I think what the article is saying is that there is more to being MVP than how many points you score at Nationals.

Taylor was the 1st guy to buy into Cael's philosophy. His attitude about scoring points and opening up have rubbed off on a the team. He is obviously a leader in the room. I think that's why he's the MVP.

I can't find the score before his med def, but he was losing. He was stuck on bottom and Amust was cranking on him hard. Not sure when the injury occurred.

Dec Heinrich 7-2

Not that it means anything, but Reader beat Heinrich 4-3 and Lewnes 7-6 (the only close matches all season?) to finish 35-0

I think Ruth would have competed well with Reader, possibly even beaten him. Lewnes was a beast, and Ruth handled him pretty handily in both matches. Lewnes wrestled Reader to a close bout. His Freshman year, Ruth did tend to lose his focus in matches, and that was the frustration that some had with him. It could be that he wasn't prepared for Amuchestegi's leg riding, and got himself caught underneath. That fact that he dominated Henrich and Lewnes after he injured his knee tells you how talented he was. When Ruth stepped on the mat as a Sophmore, he was a different wrestler and we have seen the results of that.

No. Ruth is great and can't really be touched by anyone on the mat. But Taylor's voice is heard more throughout the team. The bonus was also ridiculous.

Most teams would kill for a big-time pinner who is a 4x AA, 3x finalist, 2x national champ. At Penn State, that doesn't even get you into the discussion for Team MVP.

*~* JOKE ALERT *~*

Cael was just crying because someone else won their 4th title. :lol:

I am still bummed that DT couldn't get out .... heck, I am still bummed over the Jenkins loss in that final. I still feel like DT underperformed in those matches. Hopefully he did all you really can do with those losses and learn from them. The guys he will face in international wrestling will all be Bubba and Dake caliber wrestlers.

Is Howe back next year? at 74 or 65?

*~* JOKE ALERT *~*

Cael was just crying because someone else won their 4th title. :lol:

I am still bummed that DT couldn't get out .... heck, I am still bummed over the Jenkins loss in that final. I still feel like DT underperformed in those matches. Hopefully he did all you really can do with those losses and learn from them. The guys he will face in international wrestling will all be Bubba and Dake caliber wrestlers.

Is Howe back next year? at 74 or 65?

I feel like he under performed as well. With the way he executed that takedown within 17 seconds, I just can't help but to think that. His time will come, I really believe so.

If your only time to see DT was against Dake in that final, you'd think DT was nothing special. I can't even conceive of a Hodge winner giving up a riding point. That's why Dake can't be compared to any collegiate wrestler but Cael. He is just that good. The pressure Cael felt to go undefeated was probably pretty similar to the pressure DT felt to stop Dake's run at history. I think only Cael could relate to the emotional impact this loss must have had on DT. It can be tough and lonely when you are at the top.

Most teams would kill for a big-time pinner who is a 4x AA, 3x finalist, 2x national champ. At Penn State, that doesn't even get you into the discussion for Team MVP.

Not to mention said wrestler was undefeated with a dominating win over a guy many thought was in contention for the Hodge. Good problems to have huh?

Gosh I love having Cael as coach at PSU.

Wright was an afterthought barely reaching AA status and getting hammered by major decision for 5/6th before Cael got there....

Acadia,

What are you talking about? Ruth was never up 7-2. He got the initial takedown than it was all Amuch after that, in fact I think he was behind 7-2. He hurt his knee in the match and medical forfeited the match. He never got planted by anybody. I feel that Ruth is the top college wrestler this year. He just makes really good wrestlers look bad.

Old age, my error wrong match.

Wow, that reaction tells me Cael was emotionally invested in this one big time.

I suspect he feels like he may have let Taylor down preparation wise; not that I agree.

you are correct. In one of his post match interviews on Flo, he took some blame for the preparation.

Wow, that reaction tells me Cael was emotionally invested in this one big time.

I suspect he feels like he may have let Taylor down preparation wise; not that I agree.

Indeed, the picture tells it all. But I agree, it's hard to see what more could have been done in preparation; whatever difference exists between these two is, IMO, largely in the intangibles, no way to coach for that.

The reaction is not so surprising when you think back to how much Cael has invested into DT even since he started recruiting him. No doubt in my mind, Cael must see a lot of himself in DT.

Dec Heinrich 7-2

I think Ruth would have competed well with Reader, possibly even beaten him. Lewnes was a beast, and Ruth handled him pretty handily in both matches. Lewnes wrestled Reader to a close bout. His Freshman year, Ruth did tend to lose his focus in matches, and that was the frustration that some had with him. It could be that he wasn't prepared for Amuchestegi's leg riding, and got himself caught underneath. That fact that he dominated Henrich and Lewnes after he injured his knee tells you how talented he was. When Ruth stepped on the mat as a Sophmore, he was a different wrestler and we have seen the results of that.

The one thing to keep in mind is that Ruth wrestled both Heinrich and Lewnes that year on the backside of the bracket. I can only imagine there was a bit of let down with those two losing in the semis, just saying there is a bit of different min-set going from the top to the bottom side of the bracket. And its hard to do the well this guy beat this other guy by this much and this guy only beat him by this much, cause if you look at their results that year Reader had by far the more impressive season.

Regarding this "Taylor MVP" stuff from the article.

Are you guys serious? Read it more closely. The guy didn't say "Taylor is the MVP of this tournament for this team." He was saying that over the past 3 years he has been the heart/soul/MVP of the team.

So all the - "Ruth scored more points and won the tournament" talk is just pointless.