Sign in to follow this  
Brutus81

Cael's Reaction to DT's Loss

Regarding this "Taylor MVP" stuff from the article.

Are you guys serious? Read it more closely. The guy didn't say "Taylor is the MVP of this tournament for this team." He was saying that over the past 3 years he has been the heart/soul/MVP of the team.

So all the - "Ruth scored more points and won the tournament" talk is just pointless.

EXACTLY !!!

DT is Cael's "Personal MVP", or the teams Spiritual MVP, Emotional MVP ..etc. It was a personal figure of speech by the coach.

Wow, that reaction tells me Cael was emotionally invested in this one big time.

I suspect he feels like he may have let Taylor down preparation wise; not that I agree.

you are correct. In one of his post match interviews on Flo, he took some blame for the preparation.

Exactly how far back do Cael and DT go? One of the articles I read suggested that the Sandersons have known DT since he was maybe 5-6 years old.

Kind of reminds me of Koll and his relationships with Kyle Dake and Steve Bosak, both of whom he's known since they were very, very young also.

Obviously, that kind of association will lead to extraordinary closeness, trust and loyalty.

I suspect he feels like he may have let Taylor down preparation wise; not that I agree.

He was probably upset at how close his team came to crapping their singlets when OSU laid it all on them earlier that day.

That's it...Mr. Scribe now an OSU not The OSU but OSU fan :geek: :geek: :geek:

He was probably upset at how close his team came to crapping their singlets when OSU laid it all on them earlier that day.

Indeed, the picture tells it all. But I agree, it's hard to see what more could have been done in preparation; whatever difference exists between these two is, IMO, largely in the intangibles, no way to coach for that.

The reaction is not so surprising when you think back to how much Cael has invested into DT even since he started recruiting him. No doubt in my mind, Cael must see a lot of himself in DT.

I agree, I don't think there is anything more that Cael could do to prepare DT. Sometimes, you have to just "tip your cap" and realize that you aren't good enough. After 3 straight losses, I think we all have to look at it that way. Dake is simply better than Taylor. I think Dake has now proven that to all of us, even us doubters(one of which may have been Cael, until now).

....no worries when you have 5 finalists with two of them Ruth and Wright.

..the two best wrestlers on their team!

You know who DT reminds me of? Tommy Hearns. Old school boxing reference, but Tommy Hearns was one of the pound for pound best fighters of the 80's and yet he's best remembered for two losses (to Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler). With Dake graduating and Howe likely going 74, DT is the odds on favorite to run the table and become a 2x champ, 4x finalist and we'll all still remember him most for those two losses to Jenkins and Dake in the finals. I don't think that diminishes DT: it takes two great fighters at their peak to make a super fight.

You know who DT reminds me of? Tommy Hearns. Old school boxing reference, but Tommy Hearns was one of the pound for pound best fighters of the 80's and yet he's best remembered for two losses (to Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler). With Dake graduating and Howe likely going 74, DT is the odds on favorite to run the table and become a 2x champ, 4x finalist and we'll all still remember him most for those two losses to Jenkins and Dake in the finals. I don't think that diminishes DT: it takes two great fighters at their peak to make a super fight.

I know you meant no disrespect, but DT will be remembered for far more than those 2 losses. He is an icon in the sport right now, even with the loss to Dake. His style of wrestling is something every wrestling fan and young wrestler wishes to imitate.

Lots of wrestlers have been champions. Few go beyond wins & losses to be remembered for something more.

"Exactly how far back do Cael and DT go? One of the articles I read suggested that the Sandersons have known DT since he was maybe 5-6 years old."

As the story goes, when a young Taylor was living in Wyoming he and dad would search out competition. Trips to Utah became part of that process. I remember it said that he would work out with Chamberlain. Presumably Cael had a hand in that process.

I know you meant no disrespect, but DT will be remembered for far more than those 2 losses. He is an icon in the sport right now, even with the loss to Dake. His style of wrestling is something every wrestling fan and young wrestler wishes to imitate.

Lots of wrestlers have been champions. Few go beyond wins & losses to be remembered for something more.

AND.....his book isn't finished yet, nor will it be when he wraps up his NCAA career.

yeah...

Indeed, the picture tells it all. But I agree, it's hard to see what more could have been done in preparation; whatever difference exists between these two is, IMO, largely in the intangibles, no way to coach for that.

The reaction is not so surprising when you think back to how much Cael has invested into DT even since he started recruiting him. No doubt in my mind, Cael must see a lot of himself in DT.

I agree, I don't think there is anything more that Cael could do to prepare DT. Sometimes, you have to just "tip your cap" and realize that you aren't good enough. After 3 straight losses, I think we all have to look at it that way. Dake is simply better than Taylor. I think Dake has now proven that to all of us, even us doubters(one of which may have been Cael, until now).

If you think DT or Cael or anybody in that "camp" is just "tipping their cap" and saying "oh well, I guess he is just better we can never beat him" - we just aren't good enough to beat him - you are sorely mistaken and you obviously don't posses the same mindset that they do.

They can tip their cap and congratulate him, sure. But conceding that he is "simply better" and moving on thinking they aren't good enough to beat him - not so much...that is laughable. DT has World and Olympic aspirations - to achieve those he has to go through Kyle Dake (among other)...he does not believe that Dake proved that he is better - trust me.