statechampion57

141lbs starter for Ohio State

It looks like Dylan D'Emilio will likely stay at 141 at this point instead of going 133. If that's the case, we would have a very tough wrestle-off between D'Emilio and Anthony Echemendia. 3x OR state champ Phillip Kue is also a legit addition, but even if he could beat Echemendia with superior folkstyle skills, D'Emilio folds him in my opinion.

• Dylan D'Emilio: 4x OH state champ with 208-6 record, '15 Cadet Fargo champ and '16 Cadet Pan American Silver medalist
  • Anthony Echemendia: AZ state champ with a 26-0 record, 2x Cuban Senior National medalist, U23 Cuban National champ, 5x age-group Cuban National champ, '19 Fargo champ, '19 WNO champ (freestyle)

We know how good Anthony is of a freestyle wrestler, he even came close to beating James Green and would 100% tech either of the other 141 pounders in freestyle no doubt, but is his folkstyle game enough? Not even top-and-bottom, neutral in folkstyle is much different than in freestyle and I highly doubt he can actually avoid getting taken down during the whole season, and even if he could, he doesn't have that big of an edge to let everyone up and surrender a one after he takes them down, that may work against high schoolers, but definitely won't work against legit DI level competition. Nobody but his teammates and people inside the OSU circle know how much his folkstyle has improved since arriving to college, this is all assuming he isn't that big of a freak of nature and his adaptation isn't good enough to top DI athletes of the highest level who have been competing regularly on the ruleset since they were little kids.

His athleticism and explosive power probably have been helping him a lot to learn how to escape, but I doubt that will be enough to keep Seabass, Nick Lee or Chad Red (to name a few) off him. He most likely won't be able to hold people down without getting reversed or simply taxing himself unnecessarily if they will get out anyway, and I can't say anything about neutral, never seen someone like him wrestle folkstyle.

On the other hand, Dylan has proven himself in folkstyle, but did lose three times to high schoolers as a senior and he also did go 6-2 in open tournaments. He lost 2-7 to Kelan McKenna from Notre Dame, a returning DII All-American, NY state runner-up and class of 2017 graduate. Then lost 2-5 to Julian Chlebove from ASU, a 3x PA state champ and a national prospect in 2019. Very respectable losses though, but I don't see him becoming an All-American if he's the starter this year.

Anthony is incredibly explosive and will blast you when you least expect it in freestyle, probably will translate to folkstyle, and I think he holds the advantage over Dylan. If he starts, I think he has a great shot of becoming an All-American this year, maybe place 7th. What do y'all think of this wrestle-off and the potential of the starter for the season?

Edited by statechampion57

No disrespect to D'Emilio but I don't think that will be a close wrestle off.  Echemendia had a couple years to train folkstyle now and as you said is incredibly explosive.  I suspect tough top wrestlers like Nick Lee will give him trouble but I'm pretty sure that can be said for Lee and a lot of people.  The don't need him to be Mitch Clark on top but being able to get out and not get turned should put him in the mix.  Echemendia has been in the room for a while so they have a pretty good idea what they have (he wrestles Sasso a lot and I'm sure wrestled Pletcher before he left).  Again no shade at Dylan or the other potential 141 prospects but Echemendia is a special talent.

Edited by balanceseeker

On 1/4/2021 at 5:55 PM, moveurfeet32 said:

winning a Arizona State HS title is like winning a decent holiday Christmas Tournament in PA, NJ. NY. Ohio and a couple other States...Obviously he has good Freestyle resume

The guy has been in the Ohio State room for a year now and has been training folk style for 2-3.  He has Sasso as a workout partner and Jaggers and Stieber in the room as coaches and all are excellent mat wrestlers.  By all accounts he is explosive and work hard so I think there is a lot of reason to believe the guy we see this year will be a significantly better mat wrestler than the version who wrestled in Arizona HS with very little folkstyle training.  

Big win for Dylan. Also a big win today for one time top recruit Gavin Hoffman over Chase Singletary. Chase BTW had an outstanding off-season by winning the U23 World Team Trials.

Chase I had as a fringe AA. Great win for Hoffman. Either one could sneak on the podium, but 197 is surprisingly deep compared to most years recently 

Ech and DEmilio looked good. I have no faith in Decatur. I wish one of those guys could make 133. I think Ech has more upside, but DEmilio is very good. 

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

It all happened already.  Ech lost to D'Emilio 6-4

TOSU’s Twitter said great scramble at the end. Wonder what kind of scramble. While Echemendia may struggle a bit from bottom I’m guessing he will also struggle with funky scramble positions you rarely if ever see in freestyle. That throws a completely new wrench in the sport if you’re not acquainted with it. 

2 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

TOSU’s Twitter said great scramble at the end. Wonder what kind of scramble. While Echemendia may struggle a bit from bottom I’m guessing he will also struggle with funky scramble positions you rarely if ever see in freestyle. That throws a completely new wrench in the sport if you’re not acquainted with it. 

You can watch all of the wrestle offs on their Facebook page (I put the link below).  The Enchemendia/D'Emilio match is the last match.  I didn't see any sort of above average D1 scrambling and Ench could not ride or get out from bottom.  https://fb.watch/2WiL9WPp0l/

I don’t think anyone is surprised that Echemendia didn’t ride much or struggled from bottom (but he also didn’t get turned as I believe some thought might happen).   The more surprising thing IMO is that he only had a 2-1 edge in takedowns.  Yes, he’s basically going to be giving up a point every match if he chooses neutral and the other guy chooses down, but he’ll basically need to have at least a 2 TD advantage to win.

Good sportsmanship from him at the end as well.

Didn’t realize D’Emilio was a 4x OH state champ.  Maybe it was moreso people underestimating him than overestimating Echemendia.

Edited by 1032004

Orndorff and Gas Tank was close as I thought it would be. OSU has some depth. Too bad about Karchla and Kinner.   OSU has the makings of a great team next year if everyone returns and is healthy. 

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Orndorff and Gas Tank was close as I thought it would be. OSU has some depth. Too bad about Karchla and Kinner.   OSU has the makings of a great team next year if everyone returns and is healthy. 

GTG put on about thirty pounds. Knocked his MPG way down.