1 hour ago, gowrestle said:

Besides being a good guy and being able to squeeze an apple in his hand, what has Dan Hodge done to promote wrestling?  

Are you trying to find a way to disrespect a dude/legend who just died?  Classy. 

2 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Besides being a good guy and being able to squeeze an apple in his hand, what has Dan Hodge done to promote wrestling?  

“I’m jealous of all the people who haven’t met you”

or

“I’d love to insult you but I’m afraid I won’t do it as well as nature did.”

~ Someone else

You can pick.

9 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Are you trying to find a way to disrespect a dude/legend who just died?  Classy. 

Sorry your feelings were jarred. Asked an honest question. Guys like Gable, Nichols, Mike Moyer, Thad Turner, devoted their lives to promoting wrestling. Thousands of high school and youth coaches have helped millions of kids. Hodge was a celebrity. His contribution to wrestling pales in comparison to those I mentioned. He lived a decent life and like I said was a good guy. 

7 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

In the twilight of his life the guy was still willing to attend youth tournaments to help give out trophies.  That’s all the character of a man I need to know.  

Pass it on. 

Pretty cool. 

10 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Sorry your feelings were jarred. Asked an honest question. Guys like Gable, Nichols, Mike Moyer, Thad Turner, devoted their lives to promoting wrestling. Thousands of high school and youth coaches have helped millions of kids. Hodge was a celebrity. His contribution to wrestling pales in comparison to those I mentioned. He lived a decent life and like I said was a good guy. 

So the answer was yes. Hope you feel better. 

11 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Get ****ed loser

So you start this thread to "ask a question," because you don't know what Hodge did to promote the sport.

But then make a claim about Hodge's accomplishments paling in comparison to others, when you started this thread claiming you don't actually know what his accomplishments are to even compare. 

Might have to go back on my ignore list for this one. 

12 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Man, I was gonna post something about how folks were jumping to conclusions and that maybe you were looking to learn, but dude - don't make it so easy for folks to be convinced that you're a jerk.

Hodge is a founding father if wrestling in the US.  Without him it is trickle down in the worst of ways.  Just because he wanted to make some money doesn't mean his impact was any less on the stars such as Dan Gable, Shultz Bros, Banach Bros...  he chose to be a professional boxer and 'pro' wrestling star because he was a show pony.  He wanted to please the masses, and with no avenue for wrestling he decided on other elite ventures.

And to this day he remains the only wrestler to grace the cover of S.I.

Just because you're and idiot doesn't give you any sort of right to demean a man who was legend before the legends you do know of even stepped foot on a high school mat.

Gowrestle --  There are many ways to measure a person's contribution to a sport. Dan Hodge was the primary ambassador to the very popular World of Wrestling tournaments created by Jack Roller, and traveled the nation for over 30 years to hand out trophies and talk to athletes and their families. Jack says that Dan and his wife Dolores went to over 150 kids tournaments and that Dan inspired tens of thousands of young wrestlers along the way. "He was like the Pied Piper," said Jack. "Kids idolized Dan and followed him around the arena, and he had time for every one of them. He would stay and sign and talk until he was exhausted, because he never wanted to disappoint anyone."

I saw Dan do that many times myself. In 1997, when my wife Bev and I created the WIN Memorabilia Show, held between sessions of the NCAA tournament, Dan was our first guest. He sat at our tables at least 15 more times through the years, and he was simply wonderful the way he interacted with fans, young and old.  Throw in the fact that he never lost in college, is the only man in history to win national titles in both boxing and wrestling, is the only wrestler to ever appear on the cover of SI, and the biggest trophy in college wrestling is named in his honor, --  and he deserves every recognition that comes his way. He is a true icon of the sport!   -- Mike Chapman, creator of WIN magazine, and the Dan Hodge Trophy, and author of the book "Oklahoma Shooter: The Dan Hodge Story".

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

Do you think go will admit he messed up??

No.  There is no reason to.  He, just like the rest of us not named Jason Bryant or Kentucky Mudflap, hide behind a keyboard and a screen.  Accountability is not required.

Wow!  Asked a question and get blown up here. Saw a great meme recently.. “Life is short. Spend your time arguing with people on the Internet that you don’t know.”

I could elaborate more on my thoughts but I doubt it would make a difference. Sorry to anyone that feels offended. 

10 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

Wow!  Asked a question and get blown up here. Saw a great meme recently.. “Life is short. Spend your time arguing with people on the Internet that you don’t know.”

I could elaborate more on my thoughts but I doubt it would make a difference. Sorry to anyone that feels offended. 

Oh, now you're playing the victim card? 

Yesterday (Tuesday), Bryan Van Kley of WIN and I presented the Dan Hodge Trophy to Spencer Lee, in a small gathering of media and UI officials (including Tom and Terry Brands of course) in the press area of the Iowa football stadium. It was a wonderful  event and Spencer told us he met Dan Hodge when he was an 8-year-old competing in the Tulsa Nationals. Spencer said it was a real honor to meet Dan and said he wished he could meet him again....

My wife Bev reminded me of a great story. Once at our WIN Show, there was  a long line of kids to get Dan's autograph. Dan was tired from a day-long  event but wouldn't stop. The last boy arrived and shoved a piece of paper at him and said said nothing. Dan smiled but did nothing. The boy stared sheepishly,  and mumbled "Sign." Again, Dan did nothing, just smiled. The little boy looked around nervously and then Dan said "What else should you say?."  The boy paused and said softly, "Please." Dan jumped up with both arms raised, grinning -- "You said the magic word!" and sat down and signed. The boy's dad was standing next to me, and said:  "What a great lesson Dan Hodge just gave my son! What a great man!"

That's the Dan Hodge I knew and admired so deeply. My entire column in the next issue of WIN will be about Dan. -- Mike Chapman

2 minutes ago, iwrite said:

Yesterday (Tuesday), Bryan Van Kley of WIN and I presented the Dan Hodge Trophy to Spencer Lee, in a small gathering of media and UI officials (including Tom and Terry Brands of course) in the press area of the Iowa football stadium. It was a wonderful  event and Spencer told us he met Dan Hodge when he was an 8-year-old competing in the Tulsa Nationals. Spencer said it was a real honor to meet Dan and said he wished he could meet him again....

My wife Bev reminded me of a great story. Once at our WIN Show, there was  a long line of kids to get Dan's autograph. Dan was tired from a day-long  event but wouldn't stop. The last boy arrived and shoved a piece of paper at him and said said nothing. Dan smiled but did nothing. The boy stared sheepishly,  and mumbled "Sign." Again, Dan did nothing, just smiled. The little boy looked around nervously and then Dan said "What else should you say?."  The boy paused and said softly, "Please." Dan jumped up with both arms raised, grinning -- "You said the magic word!" and sat down and signed. The boy's dad was standing next to me, and said:  "What a great lesson Dan Hodge just gave my son! What a great man!"

That's the Dan Hodge I knew and admired so deeply. My entire column in the next issue of WIN will be about Dan. -- Mike Chapman

Great story!