Sign in to follow this  
GRIPSnHIPS

Dake vs Burroughs

This is not a competition. JB is considerably better than DAke right now. And while Dake will improve the scary thing is so will JB. I think JB has the potential to be the best wrestler the US has ever produced, John Smith being the best right now.

Dake I think will have Olympic gold just not while JB is at his weight.

This is not a competition. JB is considerably better than DAke right now. And while Dake will improve the scary thing is so will JB. I think JB has the potential to be the best wrestler the US has ever produced, John Smith being the best right now.

i'd say that title of best ever prob was earned by Jersey's own Bruce Baumgartner. nit-picking asaide, i agree too, this is JB's spot for awhile. dakes best assets are his will power and his knowledge of technique and positions,

(cont) unfortunatley JB has all these things but with his incredible reflexes (who else is shooting 3 doubles, even from his knees)

a great part of this group of seniors who will transition into the international styles, will be the talent/skill levels. especially guys like oliver, kilgore, q, bradley, maybe McD, ect. just glancing, it seems to have the potential for a large group, adding alot of quality depth in rapid succession as fast and technical as he does??).

It's too bad there are so few Olympic weight classes. Boxing gets 10; Wrestling gets 7. If there were more, including one in the 150's, perhaps we'd see Dake and JB tryout at different classes. Maybe we'll get lucky and FILA will add more weights as part of the rule changes they're supposedly making. Though, if they do, they'll probably just go back to the ten 1996 Atlanta weights, which didn't have a 150-something class.

If we are not successful in getting wrestling back into the olympics then what prevents FILA from adding additional weights for world competition ? Did wrestling lose a few weights because that is what the IOC mandated ?

If we are not successful in getting wrestling back into the olympics then what prevents FILA from adding additional weights for world competition ? Did wrestling lose a few weights because that is what the IOC mandated ?

I believe they lost 3 weights due to women's wrestling being added.

These are exactly the same thing's that were said about Taylor.

They'd have to wait for 2016 Olympics to come and go, as Amateur wrestling remains tethered to the Olympics until that point (assuming we don't regain footing)

I believe they lost 3 weights due to women's wrestling being added.

I don't think that's right because they had 10 in Atlanta (1996), 8 in Sydney (2000), and then 7 in Athens (2004). Women's was added in 2004.

I don't care if they keep 7 for greco, but men's & women's freestyle should each have many more weight classes. They should be on par with boxing at least.

This is the silver lining. Wrestling can govern wrestling again if it isn't beholding to external forces. It can decide how it wants to promote its self without being limited/constrained/co-opted by IOC money/media/politics.

Uhh what?

Who said "DT is considerably better than Dake right now?"

or

"DT has the potential to be the best wrestler the US has ever produced?"

I am a huge DT fan...and I was among the people predicting Taylor could and would beat Dake (losing the would part obviously)...but nobody ever legitimately said Taylor was ahead of Dake the way Burroughs is...as great as Taylor is - a World and Olympic Champion - undefeated to boot - he aint. (yet ;) )

i'd say that title of best ever prob was earned by Jersey's own Bruce Baumgartner. nit-picking asaide, i agree too, this is JB's spot for awhile. dakes best assets are his will power and his knowledge of technique and positions,

No disrespect to Bruce Baumgartner, but John Smith is pretty much universally accepted as being the most accomplished international wrestler the US has ever produced. Not to nitpick, but even on this forum (where everything is argued to death) that one is generally agreed upon.

Bruce was fantastic, as well. And JB has that potential.

Uhh what?

Who said "DT is considerably better than Dake right now?"

or

"DT has the potential to be the best wrestler the US has ever produced?"

I am a huge DT fan...and I was among the people predicting Taylor could and would beat Dake (losing the would part obviously)...but nobody ever legitimately said Taylor was ahead of Dake the way Burroughs is...as great as Taylor is - a World and Olympic Champion - undefeated to boot - he aint. (yet ;) )

I said JB, not DT, the stupid 600 limit had the quote shrunk.

I know...I was responding to the guy who replied to you saying "These are exactly the same thing's that were said about Taylor" - implying that everyone also though Taylor was much better than Dake in folk like the consensus is about Burroughs in freestyle right now. My point was - no that is not the case. Nobody ever saw Dake v Taylor in folk as Dake v Burroughs in free.

With the way freestyle is constructed for the most random results, I could see Dake getting a low scoring win under perfect circumstances. But to take a spot from Burroughs you have to have a perfect day and beat him, and then you have to out place him internationally, which likely means beating him again (since he's unlikely to lose to anybody else).

I wouldn't put anything past Dake, especially beating Burroughs in the near term.

You're crazy. In the near term...like for the upcoming world team? Other countries don't just cheer for average American wrestlers or even good American wrestlers, they cheer for greatness and they can all see that JB is the best in the business right now. His wrestling transcends nationality and appeals to people who love wrestling.

"I wouldn't put anything past Dake, especially beating Burroughs in the near term."

I wouldn't bet on it but I agree. Other than the blast double I see a lot of similarities between the two. Great positioning, defense, drive, absolute will to win.

I know...I was responding to the guy who replied to you saying "These are exactly the same thing's that were said about Taylor" - implying that everyone also though Taylor was much better than Dake in folk like the consensus is about Burroughs in freestyle right now. My point was - no that is not the case. Nobody ever saw Dake v Taylor in folk as Dake v Burroughs in free.

Yeah Ok!! :lol:

Yeah Ok!! :lol:

Please provide some quote of a legitimate # of people saying anything like what you were claiming.

Ill help you out - they don't exist.

People were saying that Taylor would win/was better / etc...but nobody was saying that he was that much better than Dake - the way Burroughs looks and is said to be in freestyle.

This is silly to even discuss right now. Dake has handled all comers at the college level but has shown that in freestyle, he is not even among the elite in the US. Now Dake is not new to freestyle(while Burroughs was) and I believe Dake will improve, but let's let him win a couple international competitions(or us trials) before we even mention him in the same category of Burroughs.

Burroughs has not lost to anyone(worldwide!) in what, 3 years?