77again

Is this a joke? USA Wrestling sending team to France after boycotting Worlds

So USA Wrestling is sending 33 athletes to the Henri Deglane tournament in France next week, after declining to send a much smaller team to the World's last month, and also refusing to allow any US team members to go on their own.

They fed us some tearful dialogue about their concerns for the safety of the team due to covid. Now a month later when covid numbers are even higher, it is OK to send twice as many wrestlers to a second rate tournament in Europe.

Twilight zone.

Aside from Russia, The World Cup was at best a second rate tournament. 
Every tournament is second rate if the best wrestlers aren't there competing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

A country not attending worlds sends a very different message than allowing individuals to attend a tourney. The fact that it was held in a former makeshift Covid hospital is a red herring, but solidified any FOMO or second-guessing. On a different note, I am surprised that France is allowing those who have been in the US in the past 30 days to enter the country to be completely honest. France just exited another shut-in-place due to spiking numbers and the US... well, the US has the highest current and cumulutive numbers in the world.

Worldwide daily cases on October 20th when USAW announced no US wrestlers could attend World's. 352,000

Worldwide daily cases on January 2nd when USAW announced we would send twice as large of team to Herny Delgane.  526,000

Most countries in Europe are far higher now than October 20th. 

Could anyone from USAW please give us an explanation of their logic on athlete safety?

How can you possibly justify both decisions?

1 hour ago, 77again said:

Worldwide daily cases on October 20th when USAW announced no US wrestlers could attend World's. 352,000

Worldwide daily cases on January 2nd when USAW announced we would send twice as large of team to Herny Delgane.  526,000

Could anyone from USAW please give us an explanation of their logic on athlete safety?

Just look at the charts above.

9 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

France isn't Serbia and then isn't now.

The numbers are soaring in the US but not as much in those two countries now.

Serbia
image.png.c2802decd011fc3291d9d7860f21f7eb.png

France

image.png.c0eefc4c7767e3dc7f8cc195b261f8d1.png

Gimp, you used data from the two hosting countries, ignoring that athletes from many countries will be there. 

Also your own graphs show Serbia much higher now than October 20th, and France at about the same levels as October 20th.

Most of the rest of Europe has much higher cases now.  Almost double.

US cases are off the charts compared to 2 months ago. 

36 minutes ago, 77again said:

Gimp, you used data from the two hosting countries, ignoring that athletes from many countries will be there. 

Also your own graphs show Serbia much higher now than October 20th, and France at about the same levels as October 20th.

Most of the rest of Europe has much higher cases now.  Almost double.

US cases are off the charts compared to 2 months ago. 

I know what I showed. You are correct that other countries would need to be factored in but what I left out here was that Serbia shows (or showed) to be a Don't Go There country from the state dept/dept of Health and in large part based on the charts which had Serbia much higher at that time than France shows now. The govt would base this on the country not others showing up. That factoring of others would have come from USAW. I was just trying to get some people to think of each decision on its own merit based on the data not as an If you can't (can) go to one place you can't (can) go to any basis.

54 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I know what I showed. You are correct that other countries would need to be factored in but what I left out here was that Serbia shows (or showed) to be a Don't Go There country from the state dept/dept of Health and in large part based on the charts which had Serbia much higher at that time than France shows now. The govt would base this on the country not others showing up. That factoring of others would have come from USAW. I was just trying to get some people to think of each decision on its own merit based on the data not as an If you can't (can) go to one place you can't (can) go to any basis.

100% agree

I have to imagine our wrestlers will be safer in France than they would be in the US. Or really any other first world country, really.

Now that’s a sad state of affairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to imagine our wrestlers will be safer in France than they would be in the US. Or really any other first world country, really.

Now that’s a sad state of affairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
... don't die today.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, 77again said:

The decision isn’t made in one day either. This isn’t a good argument. 

People say one argument isn't as good as another because you disagree...SMH...

This argument can't be denied...logic, or lack there of, isn't consistent in any sort of way, yet alone when multiple decisions are being made.  And what is funny about it all is, "aren't we supposed to trust the science and the "experts"?"  Which science are the decision makers supposed to trust?  How about which experts are they supposed to listen too?  And from which country?  So before you all go claim to be experts on which argument you think is "good" or "bad" maybe back YOUR argument up with what sort of logic YOU used.  When someone does show how they came to their argument using data and visuals your rebuttal shouldn't be "This isn't a good argument" without showing your deductive reasoning skills.

On 1/5/2021 at 4:58 AM, gimpeltf said:

France isn't Serbia and then isn't now.

The numbers are soaring in the US but not as much in those two countries now.

Serbia
image.png.c2802decd011fc3291d9d7860f21f7eb.png

France

image.png.c0eefc4c7767e3dc7f8cc195b261f8d1.png

I think the Serbia chart shows they ultimately made the right call, but they didn't really know it would end up looking like that.  When they made the decision, their cases had barely even started increasing and were only at about 250 per day, and they were only averaging about 1-2 deaths per day (that is not a typo).

The danger isn’t in traveling as much it’s in wrestling in a tournament with a bunch of other people. US wrestler would be at just as big or maybe even bigger risk if it were an international tournament hosted here. So as the OP pointed out, it makes no sense, but that’s not surprising