BigTenFanboy

Nitt Nitt Ninnies!

28 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

I saw a few qoutes from the presser. Brands said something to the effect of "And you know what I'm talking about".

Actually, I do not know what is being talked about? What is the "propaganda machine" he's referring to?

I think he is referring to Flo. Flo discusses how Spencer doesn’t score in the 2nd and 3rd period, and Iowa is saying that Flo ignored the fact that it was due to spencer pinning everyone in the first period. 

something like that 

I picked up on that one. But there was another quote that was him trying to squash a rumor that was put out "on the PROPAGANDA MACHINE" about ducking opponents. He seemed to be stating that the B1G sort of dictates the schedule but people (aka THE PROPAGANDA MACHINE) claim Iowa is ducking certain teams.

Dear Tom, no matter how loudly you scream PROPAGANDA MACHINE, I'm still uncertain as to what that means - regardless of you stating I, in fact, do know what you mean. :-) :-)

4 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

I picked up on that one. But there was another quote that was him trying to squash a rumor that was put out "on the PROPAGANDA MACHINE" about ducking opponents. He seemed to be stating that the B1G sort of dictates the schedule but people (aka THE PROPAGANDA MACHINE) claim Iowa is ducking certain teams.

Dear Tom, no matter how loudly you scream PROPAGANDA MACHINE, I'm still uncertain as to what that means - regardless of you stating I, in fact, do know what you mean. :-) :-)

I thought the same thing, wasn't really sure what he meant either.  Maybe just the fact that opposing fans like to hate on Iowa?

Jeez Tom... lock it up. You have the best team in the country, with maybe a top ten most talented individuals we have seen in the sport, and you need to play the victim card? Its too much Iowa vs the world mentality. You have a team with individuals that people love across the board. Lean into that! He is just resorting to an old schtick that he spent the last several years trying to recover from.... and Im a Hawk fan!

6 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Jeez Tom... lock it up. You have the best team in the country, with maybe a top ten most talented individuals we have seen in the sport, and you need to play the victim card? Its too much Iowa vs the world mentality. You have a team with individuals that people love across the board. Lean into that! He is just resorting to an old schtick that he spent the last several years trying to recover from.... and Im a Hawk fan!

But, you need to see where the vitriol is coming from.  He feels straight up robbed by the Pandemic.  No team championship last year is a monster blow.  Especially when PSU was as vulnerable as they have been, excepting 1 season in the last 10.  I wouldn't listen to anything he really said, simply because he kept circling back to the getting to the end topic. 

He simply doesn't want it to happen again and he takes things personally.  Always has.  To him, the whole Pandemic, B1G and NCAA are against him.  Sometimes that mentality is a weakness, but it directly contributed to a large part of his success.  Me/Us against the world can be a very powerful tool, when used correctly!

Edited by MSU158

1 minute ago, MSU158 said:

He simply doesn't want it to happen again and he takes things personally.  Always has.  To him, the whole Pandemic, B1G and NCAA are against him.  Sometimes that mentality is a weakness, but it was a directly contributed to a large part of his success.  Me/Us against the world can be a very powerful tool, when used correctly!

Ok, but this is just so tone def on his part. Everyone got **** on in this situation, and he has the audacity to come with a "woe is me" approach? Frankly, it makes him look weak and fragile, and it makes Iowa look entitled when they were in a prime position to take a leadership role here. I am just disappointed. If he would stop taking things so personal, he may be more inclined to see opportunity. Thats just me, and this is one of the few times you will see me question Brand's leadership.

I like how he basically says wrestling should be OK with covid because they take showers after practice

Edit: for the record Brands gives the best interviews of any D1 coach IMO

Edited by 1032004

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I think he is referring to Flo. Flo discusses how Spencer doesn’t score in the 2nd and 3rd period, and Iowa is saying that Flo ignored the fact that it was due to spencer pinning everyone in the first period. 

something like that 

Not to nitpick... (thats a lie nitpicking is my favorite thing to do) but Spencer hasnt exactly been a pinning machine. Hs sure is good at getthing those fast techs though.

8 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Not to nitpick... (thats a lie nitpicking is my favorite thing to do) but Spencer hasnt exactly been a pinning machine. Hs sure is good at getthing those fast techs though.

22 out of his 63 wins are by fall.  That is still a rather high percentage. Over 1/3 puts you rather high on the list.  With 2 seasons remaining, I would think his career percentage ends up quite high.  Even master pinner Ben Askren was only 91 out of 153, with most of those coming his last 2 seasons.  I would bet Lee gets to above 50% by the end of his career.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

But, you need to see where the vitriol is coming from.  He feels straight up robbed by the Pandemic.  No team championship last year is a monster blow.  Especially when PSU was as vulnerable as they have been, excepting 1 season in the last 10.  I wouldn't listen to anything he really said, simply because he kept circling back to the getting to the end topic. 

He simply doesn't want it to happen again and he takes things personally.  Always has.  To him, the whole Pandemic, B1G and NCAA are against him.  Sometimes that mentality is a weakness, but it directly contributed to a large part of his success.  Me/Us against the world can be a very powerful tool, when used correctly!

But isn't everyone coming back next year too?! He can still get 2 team titles from this group if they really are good enough to get them, so he'd be getting the same number he'd have gotten out of them had Covid never happened. His rant is just that, a rant. And for what end? Honestly, he got every break in the world last year with all the PSU injuries, and this year and next he'd have the far, far more experienced team. And he's the victim? Sheesh. 

I’m fairly certain the average of the PSU starting 10 in 2017 blows Iowa’s 2021 roster out of the water.

They might have two champs this year. Maybe.

Also: If Anthony Cassar doesn’t get injured at senior nationals last year, PSU is the #1 team in the country going into NCAAs. Sorry, Tom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

I’m fairly certain the average of the PSU starting 10 in 2017 blows Iowa’s 2021 roster out of the water.

Also: If Anthony Cassar doesn’t get injured at senior nationals last year, PSU is the #1 team in the country going into NCAAs. Sorry, Tom.

Opinion or fact based?  You do realize that the Ivies are out, right?  With the Ivies out, if this tournament still goes with 33 per weight, this could be a record scoring year with talent thinned down considerably.  125 is so thin below Lee, unless Suriano or FIx ends up down there, I would be surprised if he doesn't TF or pin every opponent.

Pre-Season rankings:

2021----------------------------------------------------------------------------2017(FLO Nov 7,2016)

125: Lee #1------------------------------------------------------------------125: N/R Suriano eventually but he injury defaulted to ZERO

133: DeSanto #5----------------------------------------------------------133:  Cortez#8 PSU DNQ'd this weight

141: Eierman #2-----------------------------------------------------------141: Gulibon #11 R12

149: Murin #6---------------------------------------------------------------149: Retherford #1  FInished Dominant Champ

157: Young #9--------------------------------------------------------------157: Nolf #1 FInished Dominant Champ

165: Marinelli #2----------------------------------------------------------165: Joseph was not ranked until 2 weeks later  Finished Champ

174:  Kemerer #1----------------------------------------------------------174  Hall wasn't ranked until January 23 at 10th  Finished Champ

184:  Assad #8-------------------------------------------------------------184  Nickal was #3 and Finished Champ

197:  Warner #4------------------------------------------------------------197 McCutcheon #9 and finished R12

285:  Cass #3---------------------------------------------------------------285 Nevills #5  and finished 5th.

So, to get this straight, PSU could have Joseph and Hall come from nowhere to win it all, but Iowa can ONLY MAYBE get 2 champs out of 8 guys ranked top 6?  They also have a very strong chance at 10 AA's.  Let's be clear,  PSU had an amazing run from 149-184, but only 2 of them were favorites.  After that, they still had relative weaknesses at 133,141 and 197.  Now, if Suriano stayed healthy, it's a different ball game.  However, that is life.

To finalize, barring injury, I would be shocked if Lee, Marinelli and Kemerer don't win it.  After that, Eierman has a strong chance and Warner and DeSanto could definitely make the Finals.  10 top 10 guys allows for a lot of wiggle room to score 150 pts at NCAA's.  Which, that 2016-2017 PSU team did NOT do. 

Edited by MSU158

6 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

That rant is straight up comical.  

If his "Nitt, Nitt, Ninnies" is a reference to Penn State then Sanderson officially lives rent free in that guy's head. I hope it's not. 

I think you are imagining things in your head.

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

You just waiting for a chance to bring that up? It has nothing to do with what I said. Lame.