BigTenFanboy

Nitt Nitt Ninnies!

After listening to it a couple times, I feel he is looking forward towards recruiting. If there is no big stage on which to compete, less eyes are on the Hawkeyes. He also mentioned just about every recruit they have and many of the current team members. On the one hand, it's kind of his job. On the other, tomorrow's a new day.

10 hours ago, MSU158 said:

22 out of his 63 wins are by fall.  That is still a rather high percentage. Over 1/3 puts you rather high on the list.  With 2 seasons remaining, I would think his career percentage ends up quite high.  Even master pinner Ben Askren was only 91 out of 153, with most of those coming his last 2 seasons.  I would bet Lee gets to above 50% by the end of his career.

True, but only 4 came last season, where as he had 9 techs last season(50% of his wins), all of which came in the first 2 periods. I do believe hes a teching machine, not a pinning machine.

On 1/6/2021 at 10:31 AM, TBar1977 said:

That rant is straight up comical.  

If his "Nitt, Nitt, Ninnies" is a reference to Penn State then Sanderson officially lives rent free in that guy's head. I hope it's not. 

I believe he's referring to Iowa State (or Ok. St.). The "propaganda machine" thing is a long standing acknowledgment of programs negatively recruiting against them. He's talked about it a bunch over the last couple years. Apparently, teams were accusing Iowa of ducking them this year when the reality is that they could only wrestle in the big ten. That rules out PSU. Sounds like Dresser to me personally.

12 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

True, but only 4 came last season, where as he had 9 techs last season(50% of his wins), all of which came in the first 2 periods. I do believe hes a teching machine, not a pinning machine.

He strangely stuggles to put people away with his bar half. He runs just about everybody over, but can't get the blades down. As weird as it sounds, it almost looks like it's too tight.

55 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

He strangely stuggles to put people away with his bar half. He runs just about everybody over, but can't get the blades down. As weird as it sounds, it almost looks like it's too tight.

Okay...seriously...this is one of the more wierderest posts I have read...ugh

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

I believe he's referring to Iowa State (or Ok. St.). The "propaganda machine" thing is a long standing acknowledgment of programs negatively recruiting against them. He's talked about it a bunch over the last couple years. Apparently, teams were accusing Iowa of ducking them this year when the reality is that they could only wrestle in the big ten. That rules out PSU. Sounds like Dresser to me personally.

My first thought when I heard it was it has to be a reference to PSU, but nothing else he said in the same sentence/ramble supported that (negative recruiting, ducking, Big Ten only) so I was confused. Your explanation makes a lot of sense to me. 

On 1/6/2021 at 9:31 AM, TBar1977 said:

That rant is straight up comical.  

If his "Nitt, Nitt, Ninnies" is a reference to Penn State then Sanderson officially lives rent free in that guy's head. I hope it's not. 

"Nit" and "Ninny" are both synonyms for "fool" and are oftentimes both used together for effect.

Edited by sstark46

23 hours ago, dman115 said:

Okay...seriously...this is one of the more wierderest posts I have read...ugh

What's strange about it? It's been discussed quite a bit on HR. He struggles to pin guys with his bar half. In fact, he had a 0% pin rate from it last year.

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

What's strange about it? It's been discussed quite a bit on HR. He struggles to pin guys with his bar half. In fact, he had a 0% pin rate from it last year.

I saw a clinic, Wade Schalles I think, and the clinician was warning about doing things to make a spladle too tight (Stuff like putting the man's foot behind your head) because in some cases it can become too tight to pin someone.  There is no room to wiggle his shoulder blades into position (or let him wiggle his own shoulder blades flat.)

I would imagine that a bar-half could be similar.

On 1/6/2021 at 1:12 PM, TBar1977 said:

But isn't everyone coming back next year too?! He can still get 2 team titles from this group if they really are good enough to get them, so he'd be getting the same number he'd have gotten out of them had Covid never happened. His rant is just that, a rant. And for what end? Honestly, he got every break in the world last year with all the PSU injuries, and this year and next he'd have the far, far more experienced team. And he's the victim? Sheesh. 

I think the point is that PSU was most vulnerable this past year. Yes, Iowa will be just as good if not better next year, but PSU will be much better. Iowa was a heavy favorite to win their first title in a long time and that would have been huge for the program. You know how competitive Brands are and that’s a devastating blow anyway you look at it. 

5 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I think the point is that PSU was most vulnerable this past year. Yes, Iowa will be just as good if not better next year, but PSU will be much better. Iowa was a heavy favorite to win their first title in a long time and that would have been huge for the program. You know how competitive Brands are and that’s a devastating blow anyway you look at it. 

They were as close to a lock last year as it gets and now, while they still might be favored, it will be a battle. When you go through a 10 year title drought, not getting to cap a dominant season with a title is a huge gut punch.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:31 PM, Eagle26 said:

On 1/8/2021 at 7:36 PM, uncle bernard said:

They were as close to a lock last year as it gets and now, while they still might be favored, it will be a battle. When you go through a 10 year title drought, not getting to cap a dominant season with a title is a huge gut punch.

While both points are accurate, they are accurate in a big way due to PSU injuries. If Iowa really was and is just "THAT" good (holding arms way apart), they will win the next two titles anyway. 

36 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

While both points are accurate, they are accurate in a big way due to PSU injuries. If Iowa really was and is just "THAT" good (holding arms way apart), they will win the next two titles anyway. 

Yeah this is probably true.  I’m not sure PSU got “much” better, but they probably did get better.

Which is kinda crazy since they had 2 national champs graduate.   Starocci may not be much dropoff if any from Hall, but 165 will be.   However they upgraded 285 with Kerk, and maybe slight upgrades if Bartlett is at 149 and Howard 125.

Really too bad there was no tournament last year, since we’ll never know how close it would have been (or of course who would’ve won). 

18 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I’m not trying to say Iowa is THAT much better than a healthy Penn state. I’m saying Brands wants a title in the worst possible way and no one cares if the competition was injured as long as they get that title. The fact that PSU will be back stronger makes the cancellation of the 2020 championships sting even more for Iowa. That was likely the best chance they will get. Could still win one or two but not as likely. 

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

I’m not trying to say Iowa is THAT much better than a healthy Penn state. I’m saying Brands wants a title in the worst possible way and no one cares if the competition was injured as long as they get that title. The fact that PSU will be back stronger makes the cancellation of the 2020 championships sting even more for Iowa. That was likely the best chance they will get. Could still win one or two but not as likely. 

That probably was their best chance because it is unlikely their prime competitor will sustain so many injuries in a short period of time again. I guess we agree in principal.