And how about the flip side?  JB says he’s  a permanent 74, but we all thicken up a bit as we age.  Would it be worth it to go up and get that 6th perhaps 7th title and become the best ever from the US?  Imo he already is but the naysayers seem hell bent on not recognizing him until he has that magic number. 

And how about the flip side?  JB says he’s  a permanent 74, but we all thicken up a bit as we age.  Would it be worth it to go up and get that 6th perhaps 7th title and become the best ever from the US?  Imo he already is but the naysayers seem hell bent on not recognizing him until he has that magic number. 
That's a better question... I can't see him leaving but the titles at 79kg are sooo much easier.... And like you said grabbing a few more golds could really pad that GOAT resume.... hmmmm I personally think they'll come to an understanding where one bumps, just no idea who.

14 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

One of those has to be an Olympic gold to be considered goat in my opinion.  I believe it is much harder to win a world championship today than it was back then, even with the non-olympic weights because of the break up of the USSR and this current trend of free agency, but its hard to be considered the goat when there's a couple of guys with more olympic gold than you.

I've said this before, but I think Burroughs is done at 74kg after this year. He will stick around at 79kg for as long as he wants and then call it a day. When he wasn't calling out Taylor after the Valencia match, he explicitly stated that he didn't have enough "horsepower" at 74kg with a 2 hour weigh in.

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

One of those has to be an Olympic gold to be considered goat in my opinion.  I believe it is much harder to win a world championship today than it was back then, even with the non-olympic weights because of the break up of the USSR and this current trend of free agency, but its hard to be considered the goat when there's a couple of guys with more olympic gold than you.

What about the Olympic year non-olympic weight World Golds?

3 hours ago, IronChef said:

I've said this before, but I think Burroughs is done at 74kg after this year. He will stick around at 79kg for as long as he wants and then call it a day. When he wasn't calling out Taylor after the Valencia match, he explicitly stated that he didn't have enough "horsepower" at 74kg with a 2 hour weigh in.

He’s also stated that he will never go up. That 74kg is his weight. 

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

That doesn’t make sense to me. Much harder these days not only because of soviets but what about the number of weights?  Smith’s era and olympics had 10. JB had 7. Way way more difficult. Your competition is paramount in my mind. There’s no comparison. 

3 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

That doesn’t make sense to me. Much harder these days not only because of soviets but what about the number of weights?  Smith’s era and olympics had 10. JB had 7. Way way more difficult. Your competition is paramount in my mind. There’s no comparison. 

And one of Smith’s gold came over a Canadian who never placed before or after that year and wasn’t a former Russian. Not trying to discredit Smith, he’s the man and could only wrestle who was in front of him, but JB’s competition has always been off the charts tough. 

21 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

No. He won’t do it. He will retire if he thinks he can’t win the 74kg spot

9 hours ago, wrestlingshoe said:

Remember, one of Smith's titles came with one loss. Today, one loss and you may not get another match. 

Smith was already assured of a spot in the title match before he wrestled that match.

Could have something to do with it.

17 hours ago, Housebuye said:

No. He won’t do it. He will retire if he thinks he can’t win the 74kg spot

You think, even though he'd have a chance to win 50k up a weight by winning a world title?  I don't necessarily disagree and I could see Burroughs taking over for Reina at Penn perhaps after he retires or set up a top notch club in the tri state area but he seems determined to continue even after this year.  

I think he's got at least one more year in him after this, regardless of weight. Otherwise, why go through the whole "move to Penn RTC" announcement way ahead of time? Surely there is some sort of clause in his contract requiring a resident athlete to actually be an athlete. Of course, I suspect he also has an agreement to stay on as a club coach even after he hangs up his competition shoes. I will be interested to see what he does after he stops competing. He tried the college coaching route once before and didn't care for it, but that wasn't the same Burroughs as now. He could probably go the Robles route and do public speaking, clinics, and write a book. If my math is correct, he has won $495,000 through the Living the Dream fund alone, so I expect he is in good shape financially to do whatever he wants.

3 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

Smith was already assured of a spot in the title match before he wrestled that match.

Could have something to do with it.

Point is, rules where different, medal match qualifying was different, # of weight classes, number of former Russians/Soviets...

Whoes to say if everything was the same for Burroughs as it was for Smith, or vice versa, that their medal count or color of medals would be the same.  

Things would be a lot different for many wrestlers if double elimination was never eliminated. 

So, comparing athlete accomplishments over time is in many cases subjective. 

14 hours ago, wrestlingshoe said:

Remember, one of Smith's titles came with one loss. Today, one loss and you may not get another match. 

And even if you get another match, you can't win gold.

23 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

I agree with that. Maybe I wasn’t clear but what I meant to say was that I believe to be universally thought of as the goat he needs the two Olympic goat.  Agree believe winning seven now even if only one is Olympic is more difficult than back then. 

Let me put it this way, I think if he ends with 7/2....there’s not going to be much debate. If it’s 7/1, I think you’re still going to have a whole lot of people giving Smith the nod. 

4 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

You think, even though he'd have a chance to win 50k up a weight by winning a world title?  I don't necessarily disagree and I could see Burroughs taking over for Reina at Penn perhaps after he retires or set up a top notch club in the tri state area but he seems determined to continue even after this year.  

We can’t know for sure, but I’d be surprised if JB moved up.