nhs67

B1G Duals This weekend 1/8/21

We've got FOUR, count 'em FOUR, B1G duals on tap for this weekend.  A nice, slow start to the season for us.

Michigan VS Rutgers AT Rutgers

In short, Rutgers is tough as nails.  They have a toughness a lot of schools just don't have, that said, I still see a 7-3 match swing in favor of Michigan(minus Myles Amine, mind you) with a 25-9 final score victory for UofM.  Per their own preview they'll be bringing their 'A' squad, minus Amine.  They'll be looking to start the year out right and earn that #2 ranking from the get-go.

I've been over my prediction(s) of this already:

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/25495-rutgers-2021/

125: RU Decision.
133: UofM Decision
141: RU Decision
149: UofM decision
157: UofM Decision 
165: UofM Decision
174: UofM Major
184: RU Decision
197: UofM Decision
285: UofM Pinfall
Michigan over Rutgers 25-9(7-3)

Wrestlestat:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/66/rutgers/40/michigan

Minnesota VS Nebraska AT Minnesota

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of what Minnesota(or Iowa State for that matter) are doing with their lineups.  They have what appears to be an obviously better lineup, if they adjust a bit.  That said, they're doing opposites.  Iowa State wants toons to cut, and Minnesota does not.  SO, it looks like Todd Small(Iowa State) and Ryan Thomas(Minnesota) will be riding pine, when they'd start at most other.  

That said, on to the actual match at hand.  

The big question of this dual, to me, is Nebraska's lineup.  A lot of questions there, and many different ways to answer them.  Their depth is pretty damn good right now.  Rumor is that Lovett earned the nod over Red at 141.  Does that cause a lineup shift that moves Red up(who I think is likely their best 149lb option in that scenario), or do Davenport or Hardy get the nod(who are both going to be fire, as well).  I, personally, want to see Davenport up, so I wouldn't be upset if he were to settle in at 157(or hell, even 165).  He wrestled against elite, albeit H.S., competition at 170 and even gave Penn State commit Facundo his most difficult test of his frosh season and bumped up two weights to do it (145 to 160).  I just do believe he's savvy enough, very high on him is all.  Tha said, I think we see him and Hardy swap 149/157 this year, depending on who the coaching staff feels is the best option for 149.  One other rumor is that despite Lovett winning the 141 wrestleoff against Red(convincingly), that he'll go 149, and that leaves a slew of toons vying for the 157 spot.  All-in-all, Nebraska is good, and they have the youth that they'll remain good.  No rebuilding should happen here, just reloading, as they lose their upper classmen.

Minnesota here, I just don't like seeing Thomas sitting out, which is what looks like will happen.  Honestly, it's a free year.  Send out what you think the best lineup is, Minnesota.  I think Thomas-Fernandez-O-Reilly-Webster from 165-197 might just be better than essentially giving up 197 every dual.  I also think they need to do the truffle shuffle down at 133/141.  Ramos needs to be in that lineup, and if McKee is staying at 125, get Dryden up to 141.  My opinion.

125: UM Decision
133: UM Decision
141: UN Major
149: UN Decision
157: UM Decision
165: UN Decision
174: UN Decision
184: UN Decision
197: UN Major
285: UM Major
Nebraska over Minnesota 20-13(6-4)

Wrestlestat:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/45/nebraska/42/minnesota

Michigan VS Maryland AT Maryland

There are only a few matches here that might be competitive.  125, 141, 184, and 197, with 184 and 197 being what I see as the only tossups.  On paper seems like a fairly simple, easy win for Michigan.

125: UofM Decision
133: UofM Techfall
141: UofM Decision
149: UofM Major
157: UofM Major
165: UofM Major
174: UofM Techfall
184: MU Decision
197: UofM Decision
285: UofM Pinfall
Michigan over Maryland 37-3(9-1)

Wrestlestat:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/39/maryland/40/michigan

Illinois VS Indiana AT Indiana

Two teams coming in with fairly similar expectations coming off of vastly different seasons last year.  Indiana was struck by the injury bug too often and not far enough in between and underperformed from expectations, whereas I think Illinois overperformed from what was expected.  This matchup in the first half looks very, very good and I think the first half of the dual is going to be worth the price of admission.  Especially if we finally see Mikey Carr back.  Indiana's Streck is my preseason 'Never Give Up' award recipient.  I am looking forward to seeing how much he improves this season.  All it takes is for Indiana to exceed expectations jus ta small amount and this could be a very close dual.

125: IU Decision
133: UI Major
141: UI Decision
149: UI Decision
157: UI Decision
165: UI Major
174: IU Major
184: UI Major
197: IU Decision
285: UI Decision
Illinois over Indiana 24-10

Wrestlestat:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/33/indiana/32/illinois

Have fun this weekend, gents.  Looking forward to this weekend.

This probably has been answered somewhere else, but do we know where all the Big Ten duals this weekend are going to stream yet?  I know Flo doesn't have it anymore but I don't know if some of these are the BTN channel itself or all are BTN online or whatever. 

In short, Rutgers is tough as nails.  They have a toughness a lot of schools just don't have, that said, I still see a 7-3 match swing in favor of Michigan(minus Myles Amine, mind you) with a 25-9 final score victory for UofM.

This is a piece of pure art *chef's kiss*

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

We've got FOUR, count 'em FOUR, B1G duals on tap for this weekend.  A nice, slow start to the season for us.

125: IU Decision
133: UI Major
141: UI Decision
149: UI Decision
157: UI Decision
165: UI Major
174: IU Major
184: UI Major
197: IU Decision
285: UI Decision
Illinois over Indiana 24-10

Have fun this weekend, gents.  Looking forward to this weekend.

so ... if I'm readying correctly:  IUUIUIUIUIUIIUUIIUUI-UI?  :)

37 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Interesting that Flo is putting their Dake card head to head against some BTN matches...

The Dake card is Spartan Combat RTC on Flo.  Flo gets broadcasting rights, nothing more.

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

You don't think Flo had any say in what day/time it took place?

I think they had as much say in the day/time it took place as they would have, say Ironman.  They aren't the facilitator here, just the media portion of it.  If they did have more control they would have put it further away from their own JB-DT card date so more of their big-wigs could have been around.

Now that indiana has a good coaching staff, I’m anxious to see how far they take these middle of the road recruits in the next few years. Angel is just now reaping the fruits of his system and men that he brought in. Coaches and all.