Plasmodium

JB and DT moved to Lincoln.....

Just now, alliseeisgold said:

taylor tried to lose that match burroughs still has the mental edge. Size was everything. Remember how much taylor struggled when he first went up. JB comes out of this match looking much better than taylor. 

Much better? I get the moral victory point of keeping it to criteria, but I was much more impressed with DT than JB who did nothing until he felt safe attacking when DT went into backpedal mode. And even then his legendary sprint never kicked in.

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Much better? I get the moral victory point of keeping it to criteria, but I was much more impressed with DT than JB who did nothing until he felt safe attacking when DT went into backpedal mode. And even then his legendary sprint never kicked in.

i agree jb did struggle scoring and I just wonder how much size and reach had an impact on that, because it looked like geduev in the olympics where he could get nothing going. you never see that out of jordan - ever - and dt isn't known particularly for his stout defense as much as his offense. Me thinks like geduev , size and strength played an impact in this one.

Taylor also had major problems scoring when he first went up agianst bigger oponents - it was bizarre.

But mentally you could tell taylor was hanging on as if if something in the back of his head was reminding him of his shortfalls in the past. I think burroughs wins if he was a few years acclimated into the weight

That go behind by Taylor seemed kind of like a gimme. Not sure what happened there, but it appeared Jordan stopped and then grabbed his groin afterwards. Would've much rather preferred a takedown that wasn't due to the other stopping action. 

Edited by backpack

25 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Not an amazing performance for Taylor, but JB was never close to a takedown.  Definitely super nervous.

Not close to a TD?  He had his leg in the air. I get it finishing on DT is tough, but not close?  

That slip cost JB. Not sure if it was the giant logo on the mat, or remnants of Cox’s sweat!  Hats off to both guys for putting it on the line. Good go for both of them.  DT doesn’t have that crazy gas tank he used to have. Needs to compete a ton like he did in the run up to his world title. Shame he isn’t going to France I take it?

Man McKenna is looking so good. Wasn’t close with Gross and Chittum is a gonna be a problem in college eventually. Very impressive. 

So, a lot of people thought Burroughs might have been testing the waters with this match (for next cycle)

Does he think

A) Damn, I'm right there with the best in the World at 86kgs. I can win here.

B)Damn, I wrestled one exhibition match at 86kgs and I almost tore my groin running into a wall, and couldn't get a takedown. I don't want to do this for a whole tournament.

?

I think Burroughs was much more impressive than Taylor tonight, but I don't think he can consistently beat world-level guys at 86kgs, even if he puts on some muscle (which is harder in your 30s)

4 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Not close to a TD?  He had his leg in the air. I get it finishing on DT is tough, but not close?  

That slip cost JB. Not sure if it was the giant logo on the mat, or remnants of Cox’s sweat!  Hats off to both guys for putting it on the line. Good go for both of them.  DT doesn’t have that crazy gas tank he used to have. Needs to compete a ton like he did in the run up to his world title. Shame he isn’t going to France I take it?

Man McKenna is looking so good. Wasn’t close with Gross and Chittum is a gonna be a problem in college eventually. Very impressive. 

Do you mean around 9 minutes?  Yeah, that was not close to a takedown and his leg wasn't really in the air. IMO.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6852914-flowrestling-burroughs-vs-taylor/videos?playing=6856482&limit=60

1 minute ago, alliseeisgold said:

for all the hype of this match it's hard to live up to it without a best 2 out of 3 - with the money involved and hype i think best 2 out of 3 would of been better. Good match but fell a little short of expectations imo considering the lack of action

I leave these matches feeling the same way. Tons of hype surrounding these freestyle matches and they're over in the blink of an eye. 

It just felt like all Taylor cared about was making sure he won.  He was SO tentative.  That's the part that gives me pause with him, there's just something a bit off in his mental game.  The thing is, there really isn't anybody in the world who can take him to those deep mental waters other than guys that are smaller or larger than him.

EDIT:   Also, it's disingenuous to argue that because they were physically close in weight there was no advantage.  Burroughs was carrying a ton of extra weight to reduce some of the size disparity, but he can make 74 kg, David Taylor can not.

Edited by VakAttack

53 minutes ago, ionel said:

Basically a size issue but it was still 4-4.

Yes, how many guys can take on a world champ two weight classes (or one Olympic class) up and come out with a tie score?

1 minute ago, LJB said:

after seeing what DT did to MM this summer it is hard to argue he was not all up in his own head for this match... he was doing everything he could not to lose this match... im not sure i blame him...

Both guys were wrestling not to lose for the most part. Maybe JB was wondering whether he could finish if he got a leg.

5 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Both guys were wrestling not to lose for the most part. Maybe JB was wondering whether he could finish if he got a leg.

ugh...

JB knew his only chance was to keep it to a one TD match...

he tried...

the slip; AKA groin pull; FKA OH **** HE"S HUGE; changed the complexion of the match...

I enjoy all the quality loss/moral victory for JB comments. LOL! It's like listening to SEC football fans!

Difference in this match: JB not getting DT to bite on fakes and DT was heavy on the head. That and 10 extra pounds - DT's hard to finish on anyway. Too little too late for JB but in all honesty, he wasn't really in cleanly all match- made it interesting with the pushouts in the last 90 seconds once DT started backpedaling. Interesting match but DT controlled the action most of it. 

After seeing that, I'd take DT at that weight 7 of 10 matches.

DT is not the wrecking ball that he was pre-injury.  I'm feeling a bit nervous for the gold medal I thought he had the highest chance of winning of any American wrestler.  He's still the guy obviously.  Fingers very much crossed for him.  When he is on ... he is so freaking fluid and technical.  Love to watch him wrestle.

Edited by nom

A w is a w. Taylor won. The hype of this event, and the endless interviews of JB saying "Taylor is an amazing wrestler, he's big, he's strong, he wrestles well from all positions...but I'm just better" got old fast.  I imagine if they do it again, Taylor will lose some of his hesitation and score more points. 

51 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Burroughs was carrying a ton of extra weight to reduce some of the size disparity, but he can make 74 kg, David Taylor can not.

Burroughs can no longer make 74 kg and be effective and dominant on the mat. Not with the current weigh-in rules. I think Dake takes him easily, but the fact that Dake will have to wrestle a tournament just to get to Burroughs should even things out.

22 minutes ago, nom said:

DT is not the wrecking ball that he was pre-injury.  I'm feeling a bit nervous for the gold medal I thought he had the highest chance of winning of any American wrestler.  He's still the guy obviously.  Fingers very much crossed for him.  When he is on ... he is so freaking fluid and technical.  Love to watch him wrestle.

Maybe your being too hard on him? DT looked every bit the world beater after wrestling Myles Martin. He just beat  a 5x World and Olympic Champ in JB- and can you remember JB ever being out of a match at the end? So perhaps we cut Taylor a little slack here- he controlled the match for most of it and shut it down 90 seconds out. I mean, even pre-injury he wasn't steamrolling Torreblanca from Cuba- they were close matches and you probably weren't worried then.

Edited by LifeintheRed