Plasmodium

JB and DT moved to Lincoln.....

21 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Did the winner get more money than the loser in this match? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, although a better question may be was there a bonus for winning.  I imagine Burroughs may have gotten more to “show”

Most of my thoughts regarding JB/DT have already been stated here.  They're both Kings and I'm glad they put on a show for us.  I hope JB is ok after what appears to be a minor injury, since he returned to finish the match.  For his sake, I hope he didn't suck it up and finish the match for the fans.  I also like the fact that there is and continues to be a great deal of respect and friendship between these two.  Both really respectful to one another before and after the match up.  

Also, someone needs to tell McKenna to picture Seth Gross's face on every opponent for the remainder of his career.  No effs given.  

Enjoyed the card.

Thought the JB DT match didn't have near the intensity that both would show at a Trials or World/Olympic match. Almost looked like a "don't get injured, and get a nice paycheck" type of match. Or I could be wrong and that was 100% of their best effort? 

Not disrespecting either guy, two of my favorite wrestlers and obviously I have no idea what was in their heads. Still thought it was cool that JB bumped up for the challenge and maybe it's just that both guys spoiled me from all their highlight reel wrestling over the years.   

24 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Same here, although a better question may be was there a bonus for winning.  I imagine Burroughs may have gotten more to “show”

Good point; I meant a win bonus, not who got paid more. Too bad the kids can't get paid, I think the eighth graders probably had match of the night

Burroughs has been at 74KG since 2011 and, although he's still great, I think that has had the biggest impact on his wrestling for the past few years.  IMHO his weakest two matches at the last worlds were his first two, the ones closest to the weigh in.  The trouble is he's not really big enough for 86KG- looked very small next to DT.  79KG is unfortunately not an Olympic weight, but that's where it seems like he'd shine the brightest at this point.  

2 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Through the grapevine I heard Burroughs got a 3 match deal for $200k. No idea on other opponents, timing of those matches, or anything like that but it was all lined up for Rokfin and Flo swooped in with big money to take it away.

On his First Word podcast Willie suggested they both got multi-match deals that could be worth up to $250k each. There is not much detail in that statement, plenty of room for clarifying questions, and no mention of his source, so take it for what it is worth.

4 hours ago, misterc said:

Most of my thoughts regarding JB/DT have already been stated here.  They're both Kings and I'm glad they put on a show for us.  I hope JB is ok after what appears to be a minor injury, since he returned to finish the match.  For his sake, I hope he didn't suck it up and finish the match for the fans.  I also like the fact that there is and continues to be a great deal of respect and friendship between these two.  Both really respectful to one another before and after the match up.  

Also, someone needs to tell McKenna to picture Seth Gross's face on every opponent for the remainder of his career.  No effs given.  

I don't think he was actually injured, I think it was more shock and initial pain from an unexpected slip.

18 hours ago, jmachinder said:

Burroughs has been at 74KG since 2011 and, although he's still great, I think that has had the biggest impact on his wrestling for the past few years.  IMHO his weakest two matches at the last worlds were his first two, the ones closest to the weigh in.  The trouble is he's not really big enough for 86KG- looked very small next to DT.  79KG is unfortunately not an Olympic weight, but that's where it seems like he'd shine the brightest at this point.  

The switch to same day weighs hurts both jb and Dake imo, both are very big for the weight.  Really hurts Kyle Snyder But that’s a different topic

22 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

On his First Word podcast Willie suggested they both got multi-match deals that could be worth up to $250k each. There is not much detail in that statement, plenty of room for clarifying questions, and no mention of his source, so take it for what it is worth.

Willie’s source is probably Cael so I would believe that.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, ionel said:

So he won by technical criteria or did he technically win by criteria, am assuming thats what all those predicting win by technical were talking about?   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yea, sure. OK.

On 1/15/2021 at 12:43 AM, wrestlingshoe said:

Question1: Would Smith have beaten Kenny Monday in '93?

Question 2: Would it have been a close match?

I would say no to both questions - of course that was a 2 weight class jump.  I realize that it was 27 #s vs 26 #s but Smith is quite a bit smaller than JB so it is a bigger % difference for him. Of course it was always said by both of the Peterson brothers that Gable could beat them in the practice room in 1972.  I always found that to be amazing as their competition weights  were 149, 180 and 198.   Giving up 31#s and 49#s and being able to compete against Olympic medalists is pretty incredible.

56 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I would say no to both questions - of course that was a 2 weight class jump.  I realize that it was 27 #s vs 26 #s but Smith is quite a bit smaller than JB so it is a bigger % difference for him. Of course it was always said by both of the Peterson brothers that Gable could beat them in the practice room in 1972.  I always found that to be amazing as their competition weights  were 149, 180 and 198.   Giving up 31#s and 49#s and being able to compete against Olympic medalists is pretty incredible.

I would say no to both, as well. Just an interesting thought when we try to armchair analyze JB v Taylor. The Gable v Peterson's is not a surprise, especially since they qualified "in practice" since Gable was the go all out all the time mentality. I'm sure match time would have been different. 

19 hours ago, wrestlingshoe said:

I would say no to both, as well. Just an interesting thought when we try to armchair analyze JB v Taylor. The Gable v Peterson's is not a surprise, especially since they qualified "in practice" since Gable was the go all out all the time mentality. I'm sure match time would have been different. 

Another point on the Monday vs Smith speculation - Monday got to wrestle one of, if not the greatest ever from the weight directly below his when A. Fadzaev moved up to 74 kg from 68 kg in the 1989 World Championships.  It is a great match on you tube 

Well worth watching - I won't give any spoilers for those who don't know what happened.