Lesh_Is_Morer

Does anyone have a link to the event in France?

Some good competition here. Sharifov who beat Snyder the last time they met will be there. Just go to an App Store and download a VPN so you can watch on UWW site. It’s free and has worked like a charm for me. 

Here’s a link to entries:

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/henri-deglane-grand-prix-france-preliminary-entries

Hoping to see Yianni vs Destribats (Argentina) - the guy that pinned Retherford and prevented Retherford from qualifying the US for the Olympics.  

Retherford got in for a takedown but Destribats kept scrambling and put Zain to his back.

2 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Some good competition here. Sharifov who beat Snyder the last time they met will be there. Just go to an App Store and download a VPN so you can watch on UWW site. It’s free and has worked like a charm for me. 

Here’s a link to entries:

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/henri-deglane-grand-prix-france-preliminary-entries

You are the best. Thank you so much. Be safe.

17 hours ago, nom said:

Hoping to see Yianni vs Destribats (Argentina) - the guy that pinned Retherford and prevented Retherford from qualifying the US for the Olympics.  

Retherford got in for a takedown but Destribats kept scrambling and put Zain to his back.

If memory serves Zain got the takedown and attempted a leg lace which Destribats countered and caught Zain on his back and stuck him.

18 hours ago, nom said:

They wrestled at Pan Ams last March. Score was 7-4 Yianni in the end but that's flattering to Destribats- garbage time points . . . match wasn't really super competitive IMO.

Edited by LifeintheRed

31 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

If memory serves Zain got the takedown and attempted a leg lace which Destribats countered and caught Zain on his back and stuck him.

I have the same memory - Zain got the TD and got put on his back going for a scoring move from top. 

18 hours ago, nom said:

Here you go: 1/2 FS - 65 kg: A. DESTRIBATS (ARG) v. J. DIAKOMIHALIS (USA) - YouTube

Edited by LifeintheRed

3 hours ago, Crotalus said:

That was terrible technique from Retherford. He stayed in great position all through the takedown and then never actually locked up a leg lace. He just hugged the legs and started rolling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've seen Gilman teach technique and he said to do exactly that if you get a guys legs together and arms around them, in transition from a takedown, even if they are uncrossed.  perhaps taught at NLWC? Or somewhere? 

3 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I've seen Gilman teach technique and he said to do exactly that if you get a guys legs together and arms around them, in transition from a takedown, even if they are uncrossed.  perhaps taught at NLWC? Or somewhere? 

Not an expert on that but although he was partially locked (Left hand wrapped to Arg left leg) I think he would have needed to get Arg legs straighter. They were quite bent allowing Arg to sit up.

3 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Not an expert on that but although he was partially locked (Left hand wrapped to Arg left leg) I think he would have needed to get Arg legs straighter. They were quite bent allowing Arg to sit up.

I think you're on to something.  I read the prior post about hugging the legs and rolling, before re-watching the video.  But by the description brought back the memory of Gilman talking about "hugging the legs and rolling" in transition... if you can't get a perfect lace, but his legs are together.

51 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

That's certainly what he was going for, and I can see if working from time to time if you are able to get it very quickly in transition where you keep some momentum going. And prior to watching that match, I would say there is would not likely be any harm in it if it didn't work. But Zain rolled on to his back and had no leverage whatsoever to force the opponent through the roll and he was easily able to just sit up on Zain and catch him there.

Edited by Crotalus

15 hours ago, Crotalus said:

That's certainly what he was going for, and I can see if working from time to time if you are able to get it very quickly in transition where you keep some momentum going. And prior to watching that match, I would say there is would not likely be any harm in it if it didn't work. But Zain rolled on to his back and had no leverage whatsoever to force the opponent through the roll and he was easily able to just sit up on Zain and catch him there.

Yup. I think sometimes I assume wrestlers from the non wrestling countries are terrible, but Eve the terrible ones are usually pretty damn good. 

like I could start in a pinning combination of Zain with him on his back, and he would pin me within 10 seconds. That doesn’t apply to even “bad” international wrestlers (besides maybe the bottom couple)

5 hours ago, mspart said:

Yeah, I just watched the two bouts, Destribats looks pretty good.  Not great, but a good enough scrambler to pin Zain and to catch up almost to Yianni.  I figured he must be a East European transplant but no, he has been training in Argentina for years. 

mspart

I wonder if he is amazing in spite of a poor training environment, or he is so good because he was in control of his training

women's FS going on now.   I don't see this on FloArena?    Looking on UWW website too and results link doesn't work.

Looks like Mensah Stock vs Molinari in finals at 68, Maroulis wins as well.  Don't see results from the rest

Blog from UWW site:

The 2021 calendar is officially underway, as action at the 47th Annual Henri Deglane Grand Prix of France kicked off in Nice, France. Women's wrestling takes center stage and is highlighted by Rio Olympic champion Helena MAROULIS (USA) and reigning world champions Jacarra WINCHESTER (USA) and Tamayra MENSAH-STOCK (USA).

3:41: It'll be an all-American gold-medal match at 68kg. Mensah and Forrest MOLINARI both claimed victories in their semifinal matches and will meet for gold later tonight. 

3:19: Rising star Macey KILTY (USA) scored the upset of the day thus far.  She defeated '14 world champion Yulia TKACH (UKR), 4-1.

3:01: Olympic champion Maroulis is wrestling on another level today! She moved into the semifinals with her second 13-0 victory of the day. Maroulis has now outscored her three opponents 36-0 en route to the 57kg finals. 

3:00: The semifinals are underway!

2:03: The semifinals are set! USA leads the way heading into the semifinals after having nine wrestlers competing for a spot in the finals. Meanwhile, Germany has eight wrestlers in the semifinals, while Argentina, Austria, France, Italy, Sweden, Turkey and Ukraine all have at least one wrestler looking for a finals berth.

50kg
SEMIFINAL - Sarah HILDEBRANDT (USA) vs. Jonna MALMGREN (SWE)
SEMIFINAL - Evin DEMIRHAN (TUR) vs. Lisa ERSEL (GER)

53kg
SEMIFINAL – Jacarra WINCHESTER (USA) vs. Annika WENDLE (GER)
SEMIFINAL - Sofia MATTSSON (SWE) vs. Angelina PURSCHKE (GER)

57kg
SEMIFINAL - Helen MAROULIS (USA) df. Johanna LINDBORG (SWE), 13-0
SEMIFINAL - Laura MERTENS (GER) vs. Josefine PURSCHKE (GER)

62kg
SEMIFINAL - Kayla MIRACLE (USA) vs. Luisa NIEMESCH (GER)
SEMIFINAL - Macey KILTY (USA) vs. Yulia TKACH (UKR)

68kg
SEMIFINAL - Forrest MOLINARI (USA) vs.  Luz Clara VAZQUEZ (ARG)
SEMIFINAL -  Tamyra MENSAH STOCK (USA) vs. Eyleen SEWINA (GER)

76kg
SEMIFINAL - Francy RADELT (GER) vs. Pauline LECARPENTIER (FRA)
SEMIFINAL - Enrica RINALDI (ITA) vs. Martina KUENZ (AUT)