Sign in to follow this  
MonagFam

Forfeits in Duals Despite Healthy Backups?

I do not have a lot of wrestling experience and mostly started getting into it about a year ago shortly before Covid.

I seem to recall watching some duals where school A forfeited at a weight.  I guess the starter was hurt, but it seemed like there were two or three other wrestlers at that same weight for the team to use.  

1) Do coaches sometimes take a forfeit loss in a dual even if they have a healthy wrestler that can compete?

2) If the answer to 1 is yes, what is the logic or what goes through a coach's mind when making that decision?

Thanks!

This is very rare in D1. I think due to Covid, we are going to see some funky stuff, especially because duals don’t matter. 

If they have a healthy wrestler who is eligible, it is very rare for them to forfeit. I can’t think of a scenario where they would do that, unless there are discipline or grades issues

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

This is very rare in D1. I think due to Covid, we are going to see some funky stuff, especially because duals don’t matter. 

If they have a healthy wrestler who is eligible, it is very rare for them to forfeit. I can’t think of a scenario where they would do that, unless there are discipline or grades issues

It is also possible that I misunderstood what was happening.  Maybe I knew they had wrestlers at a given weight, but perhaps nine were healthy or eligible.

I am also thinking I may have been watching a dual between a DI and DII.

32 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Agree- in HS (I know which forum this is) though it's fairly common.

35 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

PSU vs. Zahid last year comes to mind.    IIRC Rasheed was injured but they also had a healthy backup, but presumably didn't want to throw him to the wolves.   In high school some people argue they don't want to give up "momentum," I guess that could be the same argument in college with a backup vs. a stud.

But yes it is rare

I think it sometimes depends on when the starter becomes unavailable. Did they know way ahead of time, or was it a day or two before? Making weight is a process, so your backup can't just snap his fingers and make weight when he wasn't expecting to. A lot of times when a starter is out the backup who wrestles is from the next weight down. Under normal circumstances, you would not bring someone out of redshirt just for a match or two, and that limits flexibility, but this year that won't be an issue. I expect fewer forfeits this year.

27 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

PSU vs. Zahid last year comes to mind.    IIRC Rasheed was injured but they also had a healthy backup, but presumably didn't want to throw him to the wolves.   In high school some people argue they don't want to give up "momentum," I guess that could be the same argument in college with a backup vs. a stud.

But yes it is rare

Gable gave instructions to sit a healthy Wes Hand vs. McCoy in his final season.  Didn't want to throw him to the wolves.

51 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But yes it is rare

In that particular situation the back up failed the skin test and was not able to wrestle. And given that it was an away match the visiting team has a limit to the number of wrestlers who can travel, so there was no back up to the back up.

11 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

In that particular situation the back up failed the skin test and was not able to wrestle. And given that it was an away match the visiting team has a limit to the number of wrestlers who can travel, so there was no back up to the back up.

Oh yes, I do recall some conversation about skin checks, can't remember if that was officially confirmed?