Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

What did we learn this week?

Oklahoma State 

They have a great lineup with 5 new starters potentially. Mastro looked good, even though he gave up 2 early takedowns. It happens with true freshman, and he overcame it to win against a good opponent.

184 was weak. I know he AAd, but I just don’t see it happening this year. He is a bit sloppy compared to other AAs in my uneducated opinion. 

AJ Ferrari is a bit raw, but he is good enough on his feet and cardio/strength wise to bully some folks. It is very impressive for a true freshman to have that kind of power at an upper weight. I do think he needs to clean some stuff up. He kind of reminds me of a true freshman Mason Parris. I don’t expect the same jump, but he is going to be solid.

Like always, they don’t have many 

Nebraska

At the risk of pissing Willy off...As always, they have a stellar lineup on paper. However, their loss at 133 was not a good look, and their loss at 165 was a huge upset. I’m not too worried about the 165 loss, but this season especially you can’t afford bad losses. He basically just secured a bad seed from that one loss, unless he wins Big10s or something. 

I was impressed with Hardy at 149. Excited to see him back on the mat. 

Ohio State 

For a team that hasn’t competed, they had a terrible week. 

Kharchla is out for the season due to an ACL year. Really sucks. I assume he is out for Trials too. 

Ech lost a wrestleoff to DEmilio. I bet both guys are top 20 right now, but tOSU fans were hoping for a top 3ish type finish for Ech. He clearly has insane talent and work ethic, but his folkstyle needs work. I expect 2022 will be his year. 

I think tOSU is in some trouble. They now have 1 serious title threat and he isn’t close to a lock (Sasso). Decatur looks ok, but he isn’t AAing. Same with 125. Hoping Ethan Smith can plug the 165 hole. 

what other takeaways from this week are there?

Good writeup, thanks for doing it.  Have to disagree about the Ferrari & Parris comparison though, I think AJ is way more polished and ready than true freshman Parris was - seems like a top3 guy right away.  Plus he isn't giving the size that Mason was, he'll be one of the biggest 197s out there. 

6 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Oklahoma State 

AJ Ferrari is a bit raw, but he is good enough on his feet and cardio/strength wise to bully some folks. It is very impressive for a true freshman to have that kind of power at an upper weight. 

Nebraska

At the risk of pissing Willy off...As always, they have a stellar lineup on paper. However, their loss at 133 was not a good look.

So on the Oklahoma State thing,  I think A.J. Ferrari reminds me of Mo Lawal  who was an AA for the Cowboys in the early 2000's.  I think he keeps it on his feet and holds down guys some,  he will do very well and win many matches comfortably. 

Nebraska-   I am not surprised on this win.  Last year Boo Dryden came in from NEO and got tossed into the guantlet of Big 10 at semester.   He's had time to train there now and get some size on  him.   Anybody that saw him at various tournaments or duals while he was at NEO know how freaking mean the s.o.b. is.  He is very physical and I think he may pull another "upset or two"  before they year is done.   He qualifies for NCAAs I have him round of 12 at least.  

Other things:   I believe it was 184 in the UNK vs.  IA St. dual there was a beautiful throw.   OKState there was a nice supplay in the HWT match.  

If you have ESPN +   the underrated dual of the weekend was Northern Illinois vs. Southern Illinois.   Some fireworks of matches.  The 133 was super fun to watch and the 149 (I believe  it was that weight) was won when a kid  (NJCAA Champ Cardeionte Wilson) hit an inside trip for an old "Chuck Woolery" 2 and 2 for 4 points to pull off a 3 point win after trailing with 5 seconds left in the match. 

1 hour ago, Swayz said:

So on the Oklahoma State thing,  I think A.J. Ferrari reminds me of Mo Lawal  who was an AA for the Cowboys in the early 2000's.  I think he keeps it on his feet and holds down guys some,  he will do very well and win many matches comfortably. 

Nebraska-   I am not surprised on this win.  Last year Boo Dryden came in from NEO and got tossed into the guantlet of Big 10 at semester.   He's had time to train there now and get some size on  him.   Anybody that saw him at various tournaments or duals while he was at NEO know how freaking mean the s.o.b. is.  He is very physical and I think he may pull another "upset or two"  before they year is done.   He qualifies for NCAAs I have him round of 12 at least.  

Other things:   I believe it was 184 in the UNK vs.  IA St. dual there was a beautiful throw.   OKState there was a nice supplay in the HWT match. 

If you have ESPN +   the underrated dual of the weekend was Northern Illinois vs. Southern Illinois.   Some fireworks of matches.  The 133 was super fun to watch and the 149 (I believe  it was that weight) was won when a kid  (NJCAA Champ Cardeionte Wilson) hit an inside trip for an old "Chuck Woolery" 2 and 2 for 4 points to pull off a 3 point win after trailing with 5 seconds left in the match. 

You have great descriptions of matches.