Sign in to follow this  
moodybooty

Jomboy Reviews the Mongolian Coaches' Protest of 2016

5 hours ago, moodybooty said:

"This dude is praying to the ringworm gods..."

Jomboy is a popular Youtuber that does funny expert reviews of baseball and switches to other sports in the offseason. Was funny to see this uploaded today. It made me realize how hard wrestling is to understand to outsiders.. kinda frustrating, tbh

I laughed so hard when I saw this. I think his lack of familiarity with wrestling actually makes it better.

22 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Every now and then the reason for the nature of the protest should be explained. It's a Mongolian custom to do that when they feel they were robbed. Note how he handed the clothes to the table. They're saying you robbed me already so take everything else.

I actually didn't know that -- adds a bit of gravity to the situation, have always just seen it as a ridiculous protest haha. Thanks for sharing! 

I remember watching that live online ans thinking it was insane.

To me the most out of place thing he points out was the stuffed animal “mascot” being throw at the judges.   Yes, I know that was used as the “challenge block,” but it was still pretty random occurrence to see an coach carrying around a stuffed animal before going into a rage fit for anyone not aware of that fact.  

Edited by MadMardigain

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

funny video

so was the call actually correct?

Judgment call, actually. There were several issues of the officiating crews (one particular official in this case on the review panel). I believe they sent a few home after this.

The call wasn't out of the question wrong. It involved fleeing the hold the last few seconds and MGL was doing that but seemed over the top to call it when he had just scored to go ahead seconds earlier and there was hardly a guarantee that if he did engage that the other guy could have scored.

42 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Judgment call, actually. There were several issues of the officiating crews (one particular official in this case on the review panel). I believe they sent a few home after this.

The call wasn't out of the question wrong. It involved fleeing the hold the last few seconds and MGL was doing that but seemed over the top to call it when he had just scored to go ahead seconds earlier and there was hardly a guarantee that if he did engage that the other guy could have scored.

I find I have little sympathy for a wrestler who stops wrestling with 10 seconds left and starts celebrating with 5 seconds left in a one point match. You are daring the refs NOT to make that call.

The ref simply said "challenge accepted".

Yeah, that was my thoughts, as well. Technically not a wrong call, but it felt like the Mongolian guy earned the win and just got a little too excited a few seconds early. Hell, he thought he just won an Olympic medal. But also, he handled it waaaaaaaay better than I would have. Had to feel like a lifelong dream was pried from his hands. Hard to fault the ref, though, as he was just calling it by the book. Clear fleeing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

It was the wrong call.

The coaches and athletes were explicitly informed that the referees wouldn't caution a guy for fleeing without stopping the match and informing the athlete that if they didn't stand their ground they would be cautioned. 

Hammerlock, the UWW language about a stoppage and attention prior to a flee call in the waining seconds of a bout was introduced after the 2016 games.  Even if not explicitly acknowledged as such, the firm rule was a direct response to the situation in Rio, which was one of the last of the games.  At the time it would have been acceptable and advisable to issue the attention, but not mandated.

Gimp, nobody was sent home after this call (well, except the Mongolian coaches).  It was far to late in the competition, occurring during the last session on the last day of the Olympics.  You are confusing this with a crooked call the day prior against Gomez of Puerto Rico that led to the dismissal of the three referees working the bout.  Curiously, this situation also benefited Navruzov of UZE, the winner of the bronze match with Mongolia.

5 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

Gimp, nobody was sent home after this call (well, except the Mongolian coaches).  It was far to late in the competition, occurring during the last session on the last day of the Olympics.  You are confusing this with a crooked call the day prior against Gomez of Puerto Rico that led to the dismissal of the three referees working the bout.  Curiously, this situation also benefited Navruzov of UZE, the winner of the bronze match with Mongolia.

Thanks, I couldn't remember which match caused the dismissals but I knew there was a connection. And I think some reporters (Flo maybe?) put together something showing how UZE benefited from a series of common bad calls from a given official or set of.

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Thanks, I couldn't remember which match caused the dismissals but I knew there was a connection. And I think some reporters (Flo maybe?) put together something showing how UZE benefited from a series of common bad calls from a given official or set of.

Also, it has been hinted that for this Flo expose, that the UWW would not deal with Flo regarding  broadcasting rights for the last four years.  (Yes, they have them once again)

P.S. I have been told by someone very knowledgeable (but not a Flo employee), that this was not the case regarding broadcasting rights.

Edited by AHamilton

On 1/13/2021 at 5:59 AM, gimpeltf said:

Oh, I do remember the investigative reporting that Flo did after that match.  What they failed to realize is UWW is an organization run mostly by former officials and competitors.  They had a contract with UWW to stream most of their major events, with the exception of the Olympics which UWW could not contract out as an individual event.  When their investigative report came out, UWW cut them off completely and they lost all of those future contracts.  The thing is it is challenging to work in conjunction with an organization as their main provider for video, and also have your play by play analysts be critical of the officiating, and also try to crucify that organization for corruption at the highest level with your investigative reporting, then keep the contract from that organization.  It was a classic case of biting the hand that feeds you, then the one that feeds you takes you out back and puts a bullet in you like UWW did to the contract with Flo.

3 hours ago, neutralpositionref said:

Oh, I do remember the investigative reporting that Flo did after that match.  What they failed to realize is UWW is an organization run mostly by former officials and competitors.  They had a contract with UWW to stream most of their major events, with the exception of the Olympics which UWW could not contract out as an individual event.  When their investigative report came out, UWW cut them off completely and they lost all of those future contracts.  The thing is it is challenging to work in conjunction with an organization as their main provider for video, and also have your play by play analysts be critical of the officiating, and also try to crucify that organization for corruption at the highest level with your investigative reporting, then keep the contract from that organization.  It was a classic case of biting the hand that feeds you, then the one that feeds you takes you out back and puts a bullet in you like UWW did to the contract with Flo.

You make it sound like the UWW had some vendetta they were taking out on Flo - well they must have sort memories as the just awarded Flo the rights to stream UWW events for the next year (at least 1 year - I am not privy to contract term) I would guess that the UWW had Track and Flo competing for the streaming rights in the US and as an ardent capitalist I will not criticize that.

On 1/11/2021 at 7:02 PM, gimpeltf said:

Every now and then the reason for the nature of the protest should be explained. It's a Mongolian custom to do that when they feel they were robbed. Note how he handed the clothes to the table. They're saying you robbed me already so take everything else.

Oh it's a Mongolian thing.  I was trying to get a Swedish woman to do that and it didn't work.  Dammit.