Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

The Year Alan Fried didn't place

What BS.  Reads like an indictment of the NCAA IMO.  Kids drove thousands of miles and the coach paid for the gas, coach paid then to work camps coach threw a few bucks to kids who were redshirting and living in freaking Oklahoma and probably starving.  The investigation cost far more than any expense incurred by the coaches, and the fat cats at the NCAA made millions,  The NCAA is a corrupt anachronism that needs to go away.   

2 hours ago, TFBJR said:

What BS.  Reads like an indictment of the NCAA IMO.  Kids drove thousands of miles and the coach paid for the gas, coach paid then to work camps coach threw a few bucks to kids who were redshirting and living in freaking Oklahoma and probably starving.  The investigation cost far more than any expense incurred by the coaches, and the fat cats at the NCAA made millions,  The NCAA is a corrupt anachronism that needs to go away.   

And Iowa was doing the same thing.  :(

And surely all have learned from this and no coaches or programs would do anything like this today.  ;_;

"The result was that by mixing part-time prospective student-athletes, redshirted student-athletes, club teams, open tournaments and coaching staff members who were themselves competing in national and international meets, the university gained substantial recruiting and competitive advantages over a period of several years."

Edited by ionel

This case involved a number of major violations in wrestling, including: treating prospective student-athletes who had enrolled as part-time [Page 2] students as if they were regularly enrolled student-athletes; providing regularly enrolled student-athletes who were being redshirted with cash, transportation, entry fees and other benefits to compete in open wrestling meets (contrary to numerous NCAA rules and regulations); employing prospective studentathletes in summer camps and providing transportation, free enrollment and other benefits that are considered inducements under NCAA legislation to them; administering summer camps without proper accounting and auditing procedures, which allowed some student-athletes to receive benefits to which they were not entitled, and employing and providing funds to coaching staff members that were not known to or under the control of the university.

On 1/12/2021 at 12:36 PM, Broomstick said:

Had Fried wrestled in 93, he would of won at 142 and Lincoln Mac would only be a 2 time champ.  This is well understood by all Iowa fans.

Would Fried have wrestled 142 in 93'?  He was 134 the previous two years.  I believe the Pokes would of had another AA wrestling at 142 that year (Jodie Wilson). 

4 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

Would Fried have wrestled 142 in 93'?  He was 134 the previous two years.  I believe the Pokes would of had another AA wrestling at 142 that year (Jodie Wilson). 

On second thought, I believe Fried would have wrestled 142 as the Pokes would of had Purler (NC @ 126) and Jaworsky (NC @ 134) in the line-up. With Pat Smith at 158, OSU would have had 4 national champions in 93' and would have most likely won the team title. 

3 hours ago, smsu150 said:

They would have had Chris Owens the runner up in 92 to Steiner at 142. He would have been a RSSR that year. 

"The result was that by mixing part-time prospective student-athletes, redshirted student-athletes, club teams, open tournaments and coaching staff members who were themselves competing in national and international meets, the university gained substantial recruiting and competitive advantages over a period of several years."

Now they call that an RTC.

15 hours ago, Idaho said:

They would have had Chris Owens the runner up in 92 to Steiner at 142. He would have been a RSSR that year. 

I cannot remember for certain anymore, but I though Fried competed (and was undefeated) at 142 in the 93 season at open tournaments and/or whatever competition he/Ok State was allowed to attend.  

Edited by Broomstick

1 hour ago, Broomstick said:

I cannot remember for certain anymore, but I though Fried competed (and was undefeated) at 142 in the 93 season at open tournaments and/or whatever competition he/Ok State was allowed to attend.  

What was the year he pinned Brands? December 91 right? 

On 1/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, smsu150 said:

We saw how well Wilson wrestling McIlravy went in the Iowa/Iowa State dual that year.