TBar1977

Aaron Brooks Eager to Start Season

There is a snippet in the article stating that Brooks wrestled with a torn meniscus last year. He believes he has jumped levels and he's looking forward to wrestling Myles Amine this year.

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/sports/brooks-eager-to-start-sophomore-season-at-penn-state/article_130d41f0-5426-11eb-a0f5-9b2341250172.html

14 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Bolen is physical enough to give him fits, as is Hoagie(who has also jumped levels).  I am excited to see who else kept in the room(s) this extended offseason.

Yeah Hoagie might be a favorite against him. That I agree with. 

Bolen is very good, but he is going to have to rely on his riding and defense to beat Brooks. I doubt he beats Brooks or Hoagie

8 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah Hoagie might be a favorite against him. That I agree with. 

Bolen is very good, but he is going to have to rely on his riding and defense to beat Brooks. I doubt he beats Brooks or Hoagie

Isn't Hoagie Oh-for against him?

Edited by nhs67

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Isn't Hoagie Oh-for against him?

Bolen is 2-0 over Hoagie. One was 2-1 one was 3-1. 

Hoagie I think has jumped levels. Bolen looked very vulnerable last week. I think Hoagie wins by 1 or 2 takedowns. 

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Bolen is 2-0 over Hoagie. One was 2-1 one was 3-1. 

Hoagie I think has jumped levels. Bolen looked very vulnerable last week. I think Hoagie wins by 1 or 2 takedowns. 

Bolen out-horsed Hoagie in those 2 matches.  Also he was ridden like a broken horse in his matchnlast week.  Hoagie doesn't ride.  Styles make matches and while I don't think Bolen is on Hoagies level right now, I do believe he wins the match more often than not against him.

Bolen tends to struggle against those that don't go the physical route with him that make him use something other than his back or biceps.  Hoagie goes the physical route every time.

15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Why would Hidlay be favored vs. Brooks? 

I don't think he is.  Brooks destroyed him, albeit freestyle and at 170lbs, 13-3.  I believe freestyle is a better style for Hoagie against Brooks than folkstyle would be, and it wasn't even close then.  Add in that whatever level(s) Hidlay has jumped that I believe Brooks has at the very least matched, and we've got Brooks winning.

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't think he is.  Brooks destroyed him, albeit freestyle and at 170lbs, 13-3.  I believe freestyle is a better style for Hoagie against Brooks than folkstyle would be, and it wasn't even close then.  Add in that whatever level(s) Hidlay has jumped that I believe Brooks has at the very least matched, and we've got Brooks winning.

This is my take as well. That freestyle match was quite some time ago, but look what Brooks did last year on an injured wheel. Look at how he wrestled Hidlay then. I don't think much changes. 

53 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

look what Brooks did last year on an injured wheel

College fans: Wow! Look what he did with one leg!

College coaches: You don't need a meniscus, ACL, elbow, or a even heart beat. What you need is to get on the mat and make weight by Friday night.

11 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

College fans: Wow! Look what he did with one leg!

The Truth Is In The Middle 

College coaches: You don't need a meniscus, ACL, elbow, or a even heart beat. What you need is to get on the mat and make weight by Friday night.

Edited by TBar1977

On 1/12/2021 at 7:56 AM, nhs67 said:

Bolen out-horsed Hoagie in those 2 matches.  Also he was ridden like a broken horse in his matchnlast week.  Hoagie doesn't ride.  Styles make matches and while I don't think Bolen is on Hoagies level right now, I do believe he wins the match more often than not against him.

Bolen tends to struggle against those that don't go the physical route with him that make him use something other than his back or biceps.  Hoagie goes the physical route every time.

I hear you. I think Hoagie’s physical growth and improved abilities are enough to put physical Bolen. Hoagie didn’t get horses by Gabe Dean

On 1/12/2021 at 9:26 AM, nhs67 said:

Hoagie is a much better match in folk with Brooks in my opinion 

Hidlay and Brooks wrestled one 2017 in pretty sure. They were like 16/17

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Hoagie is a much better match in folk with Brooks in my opinion 

Hidlay and Brooks wrestled one 2017 in pretty sure. They were like 16/17

Not sure I agree with this. Brooks is good from all three positions and can scramble extremely well. I watched Hidlay vs Bolen in their last match and Hidlay did nothing until the final minute when he was forced to shoot because he was behind. Brooks will be shooting consistently against Hidlay. Between his continuous level changes and variety of shots that match should require a lot of mat scrambles. 

51 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Not sure I agree with this. Brooks is good from all three positions and can scramble extremely well. I watched Hidlay vs Bolen in their last match and Hidlay did nothing until the final minute when he was forced to shoot because he was behind. Brooks will be shooting consistently against Hidlay. Between his continuous level changes and variety of shots that match should require a lot of mat scrambles. 

Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that he beat Amine at the RTC Cup and went 5-0 tells us he has improved considerably................

13 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that he beat Amine at the RTC Cup and went 5-0 tells us he has improved considerably................

Of course he is better than he was 3 years ago, but that doesn't mean he has passed Brooks.  

7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Of course he is better than he was 3 years ago, but that doesn't mean he has passed Brooks.  

Of course that is debatable.  But, I would say a win over Amine makes a pretty compelling argument.  Especiailly, considering he won 4 other matches without losing, making that win much less likely to be a "one off".

With that said, I have a really hard time gauging 184.  It was the thinnest weight I can remember in a long time.  Venz was the ONLY returning AA and that was from the year prior. So, I am not putting too much stock into last year's abrreviated results. To me, this weight is wide open until someone can show they have distanced themselves from the field.

4 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Of course that is debatable.  But, I would say a win over Amine makes a pretty compelling argument.  Especiailly, considering he won 4 other matches without losing, making that win much less likely to be a "one off".

With that said, I have a really hard time gauging 184.  It was the thinnest weight I can remember in a long time.  Venz was the ONLY returning AA and that was from the year prior. So, I am not putting too much stock into last year's abrreviated results. To me, this weight is wide open until someone can show they have distanced themselves from the field.

Who were those 4 other wins? Keep in mind too, that was a Flo exhibition event. I totally agree that Trent Hidlay is a top notch wrestler. 

Bolen is physical enough to give him fits, as is Hoagie(who has also jumped levels).  I am excited to see who else kept in the room(s) this extended offseason.

Brooks is wrestling David Taylor, Jake Varner, Cael Sanderson, and Bo Nickal.

Sorry, but the idea that any college wrestler will give Brooks fits is kind of laughable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Sorry, but the idea that any college wrestler will give Brooks fits is kind of laughable to me.

Even though Venz did comfortably defeat him their first match last season and Caffey did in fact give him fits at B1Gs?

20 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I trained with guys WAY above my level.  Lower level guys still managed to give me fits.

Aaron Burr for one.

Edited by AHamilton

21 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Even though Venz did comfortably defeat him their first match last season and Caffey did in fact give him fits at B1Gs?

That first Venz match, Brooks' only loss last year, was shortly after Brooks was injured vs Illinois and his leg was heavily wrapped. Take note what happened when they met again even without Brooks being 100 percent. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

That first Venz match, Brooks' only loss last year, was shortly after Brooks was injured vs Illinois and his leg was heavily wrapped. Take note what happened when they met again even without Brooks being 100 percent. 

I didn't create the scenario.  The scenario existed and happened.  They stepped on the mat.  Fits were had.

59 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Who were those 4 other wins? Keep in mind too, that was a Flo exhibition event. I totally agree that Trent Hidlay is a top notch wrestler. 

Foster, Brooks(Sammy), Abounader and Pfarr.  No chumps on that list.  No world beaters either.  But, still pretty solid.

Edited to add:  Didn't they get paid?  One would think post grads would be trying even harder for the money that feeds their family than a mid season college wrestling match.  But, hey, that is just me being the "one".......

Edited by MSU158