TBar1977

Aaron Brooks Eager to Start Season

2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Foster, Brooks(Sammy), Abounader and Pfarr.  No chumps on that list.  No world beaters either.  But, still pretty solid.

So again, Hidlay has improved. He still wrestles the same style and Brooks has jumped levels according to those who have seen him. You can take Hidlay and I will take Brooks in this prediction contest. 

Just now, TBar1977 said:

So again, Hidlay has improved. He still wrestles the same style and Brooks has jumped levels according to those who have seen him. You can take Hidlay and I will take Brooks in this prediction contest. 

Happily!

Even though Venz did comfortably defeat him their first match last season and Caffey did in fact give him fits at B1Gs?

And a year plus has passed since the Venz match.

Listening to AB describe his own progress, he’s made significant strides in how he’s doing against those world class athletes. Cael has said the same. I trust the man who has guided teams to 8 of the last 9 team titles, and whose 174/184 wrestlers have won 8 individual titles in his time at Penn State.

He knows middle weight talent. And develops it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

And if we are going to make an issue of Brooks losing 1x last year then what to make of Hidlay losing 4x last year? 

People don't want to talk about that.

45 minutes ago, Le duke said:

And a year plus has passed since the Venz match.

Listening to AB describe his own progress, he’s made significant strides in how he’s doing against those world class athletes. Cael has said the same. I trust the man who has guided teams to 8 of the last 9 team titles, and whose 174/184 wrestlers have won 8 individual titles in his time at Penn State.

He knows middle weight talent. And develops it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not disagreeing with any of that.  I am disagreeing with you saying that nobody in college (at 184) can gove him fits.

I would like to throw out there that neither Hidlay nor Brooks were full sized 184lbers last year.  Both were very much growing into the weight still.  I still don't consider either of them as big 184lbers.  They will both be more aptly prepared to handle 184lbs, though.

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Of course that is debatable.  But, I would say a win over Amine makes a pretty compelling argument.  Especiailly, considering he won 4 other matches without losing, making that win much less likely to be a "one off".

With that said, I have a really hard time gauging 184.  It was the thinnest weight I can remember in a long time.  Venz was the ONLY returning AA and that was from the year prior. So, I am not putting too much stock into last year's abrreviated results. To me, this weight is wide open until someone can show they have distanced themselves from the field.

I personally think Brooks is the next great at PSU (Taylor, Ruth, Nolf, Nickal level) and will be far ahead of the pack by year's end.

19 minutes ago, portajohn said:

I personally think Brooks is the next great at PSU (Taylor, Ruth, Nolf, Nickal level) and will be far ahead of the pack by year's end.

With Zahid hitting the slopes and blowing his eligibility I strongly felt Brooks had a legit chance to begin the climb to 4x champ last year. He could do it with the 2021 freebie year.

Probable? No.

Asterisk if it somehow happens? Absolutely.

Possible? Very much so.

17 hours ago, portajohn said:

That may very well be.  I just didn't see anything from last year to make be a true believer.  If I were in the room watching him cracking skulls, maybe I would.  But, I need to personally see it before I anoint him.  With that said, PSU definitely has a knack for their elite going from very good to great between that 1st and 2nd season.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if it does.  Just not going to just say it until I see it.

9 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I think I picked Brooks to win ncaas last year. 

I think Hidlay wins it this year. That’s how much I think he has improved. 

That is my thought simply because we have seen Hidlay wrestle, and beat, top talent recently.  We have not with Brooks.  I don't believe Brooks of last season beats Hidlay of this season.  So, it falls to the improvement many PSU faithful say has happened.

Again, until I see it, I am going with Hidlay.