Sign in to follow this  
scarlet1

Was Mc Donough Hurt ?

I know he didnt have a great finish to at the nationals.Did he have a injury or problem making weight this year or just had a tough year at the tournement.I am not here to knock him or the program just was curious.I would have lost alot of money if i were bet he would have been a AA this year.

I do not believe that you are "knocking" him.

McD has been, and likely will be a solid wrestler.....should he choose to continue.

I too, wonder exactly what 'might have' been going on this season with the once feared 25 pounder.

Perhaps his body was screaming......" please let me grow"! A la Dake.

I've heard various rumors about "what" was injured. He was definitely injured. The best piece of information that I've seen is that he was injured since his Olympic Team Trial's match with Simmons. I won't speculate on the specifics of what was hurt, but I will say that it greatly impacted his strength in one arm.

Why would you wrestle McDonough in every match this year if he was hurt? You did not need him to win most duals and he had nothing to prove in most matches.

I can understand he has to be ready for Nationals however he was a senior and you may have needed to rest him first semester. Also if he was hurt almost a year ago then surgery would seem the way to go and ask for a medical redshirt.

I can understand he has to be ready for Nationals however he was a senior and you may have needed to rest him first semester. Also if he was hurt almost a year ago then surgery would seem the way to go and ask for a medical redshirt.

Yeah, seems like if there was an injury from that far back, and such a close wrestle-off from his back-up.... a Medical RS would be the best for both the team and him.

Until we hear something more concrete, all we can do is speculate. Certainly he was not himself, physically or mentally.

Matt did not wrestle every match that Iowa had.

He wrestled most. He just got passed up by better athletes. I'm sure he would be the last guy to make excuses. He let's the rest of you do it.

Why would you wrestle McDonough in every match this year if he was hurt? You did not need him to win most duals and he had nothing to prove in most matches.

This is the biggest piece of evidence suggesting that McDonough was either not injured or not seriously injured. If he shows up to the team banquet in a sling, I'll recant, but I'll change my tune to wondering what the coaching staff was thinking having him wrestle that much in matches where his result did not affect the team score and the match was not important for future seeding.

McD took a redshirt for non-injury reasons, therefore I'm pretty sure the chances of him being granted a 6th year medical hardship were slim to none. I have no info on his injury, but I don't think a medical RS was an option if he did.

McD took a redshirt for non-injury reasons, therefore I'm pretty sure the chances of him being granted a 6th year medical hardship were slim to none. I have no info on his injury, but I don't think a medical RS was an option if he did.

Why not? Plenty of wrestlers are granted a medical redshirt after already taking a redshirt previously.

Why not? Plenty of wrestlers are granted a medical redshirt after already taking a redshirt previously.

requirements for 5th year and 6th year medical waivers are drastically different. the 6th year medical waiver requires that you miss the required percentage of matches in 2 seasons. he would not have qualified for a sixth year. could you imagine how big this story would have been had he beat robles in philly?

It is despicable to diminish the success of the wrestlers who beat McD by speculating he was hurt. When you step out there, you are presumed whole. Whatever is the case with Matt he is still a terrific wrestler. Hopefully if more than his feelings are hurt he makes a complete and full recovery.He seems like a pretty decent chap.

Not sure who all got to see this interview. I thought it was profound. Around the :30 mark Brands' was asked what he said to McD and Brands replies "I told him I'd go away if he looked at me, and he looked at me, then I walked away."

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... h-and-Iowa

Brands' smartly chose not to go into answering the question about what was wrong with McD and stood by his guy. Brands was the man!

Brands and McD both are class men..Neither will use injury for a excuse.

But lets me honest if u are not at least 95% healthy at nationals it is gonna be one tough battle to win or even make AA..

Now from someone close to the program at Iowa has said that Mcd had a torn pectoral and pinched nerve and that could explain why when he use to be able to counter a shot and use his long arms to reach back and get opponents leg and work for the takedown and usually get it..He just didn't have the strength to do it

But lets me honest if u are not at least 95% healthy at nationals it is gonna be one tough battle to win or even make AA..

Now from someone close to the program at Iowa has said that Mcd had a torn pectoral and pinched nerve and that could explain why when he use to be able to counter a shot and use his long arms to reach back and get opponents leg and work for the takedown and usually get it..He just didn't have the strength to do it

I'm not sure how much you have wrestled or competed in other major sports. That being said I would venture to say almost all competitors at nationals are not 100% can one injury effect you more than another yes but I'm tired of hearing about McD injury. I am actually a big McD fan and it was tough to see such a great wrestler lose it but that happens in the sport of wrestling its just how it works the extreme weight cuts along with the nature of the sport physiologically your body and mind can be negatively altered. I think confidence played a huge part in his losses as well It was in his head that he was beatable.

If, for sake of argument, this was what was wrong, it's not an excuse. It would be a medical fact. I just don't get the Macho Man mentality at this point in the game. (or career) ...

I understand guys can catch up "skill wise", yet this I don't think was 100% the case.

Iowa chorale I associated with said McD was out Friday night talking about a Torn Labrum in his lead arm shoulder. I cannot 100% confirm anything other than this is what I heard.

Would explain why he hasn't shot in a month. Weight cut a non factor.

Brands.....a class man..... :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!!

Just curious...what are you basing your laughter on? What you read from people who don't like him? Or the many times you have talked with him and seen what a great guy he is?

Thanks IA Hawk .

BigBrog u have never had time to spend with Mr Brands he is a first class man away from the mat.

Sure he is intense but away from the mat he is enjoyable to talk with and be around..All this hate is so silly.