Sign in to follow this  
scarlet1

Was Mc Donough Hurt ?

After he sat at my table with my assistant coach and I and bs'ed for a half hour after a clinic, I have no reason to believe anyone who has encountered a similar situation would think anything but class about him...Obviously you have not

Why would you wrestle McDonough in every match this year if he was hurt? You did not need him to win most duals and he had nothing to prove in most matches.

This is the biggest piece of evidence suggesting that McDonough was either not injured or not seriously injured. If he shows up to the team banquet in a sling, I'll recant, but I'll change my tune to wondering what the coaching staff was thinking having him wrestle that much in matches where his result did not affect the team score and the match was not important for future seeding.

possibly he was injured and it wasn't as severe initially so McD, wanting to tough it out(no surgery, extra time off, ect) and with the coaches letting him ultimately choose, he wrestled and it also probably worsend when it was already too late...accompanied with the weight cut

...the scenarios can go on & on

by Gantry » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:30 pm

I could be wrong, but didn't most or all of those guys take a redshirt because of an injury? You usually need two years of injuries to get a medical hardship waiver.

Gantry,

Can you please recheck your sources on a 6th year Medical Redshirt?

The actual requirment are:

Guidelines for Medical Hardship Waiver Requests

For a student-athlete to receive a Medical Hardship Waiver per Bylaw 14.2.4, the following four conditions must be met:

The student-athlete may not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of the team's completed contests/dates of competition.

The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the season.

The injury or illness does not have to occur during practice/competition, but it must be incapacitating.

Appropriate medical documentation must exist and be provided.

All percentages are calculated according to contests or dates of competition, depending on how your sport's competitive opportunities are counted. Only contests or dates of competition occurring during the championship (traditional) season are included in the calculations. Conference championships/tournaments are counted as one contest or date of competition, regardless of the actual contest/dates used.

If the percentage calculation for the 20-percent rule results in a decimal -- any decimal -- the whole number preceding it is always rounded up. For example, if the softball team competes in 56 games, 20 percent of 56 is 11.2. Due to the "rounding-up," a softball team member who competed in 12 games does qualify for a medical hardship waiver.

To meet the first-half-of-the-season requirement, all competition must cease prior to the start of the contest or date of competition that begins the second half of the season. For example, a soccer player competing in the 10th game of a 19-game season does not qualify for a medical hardship waiver. Also, a student-athlete who is injured in the first half of the season, then attempts to play in the second half and aggravates the original injury, does not qualify for a medical hardship waiver.

Yes but I think there are some additional rules to get a 6th hear of eligibility, including losing two seasons to injury (although I think this has been bypassed in certain other sports - namely football. Probably because that where the $$$$ are for the NCAA). Those above are just what is required to get a medical redshirt if you have not already used your regular redshirt.