Jump to content
jerseywrestling

Best Wrestlers in Montclair State History

Recommended Posts

Best Wrestlers in Montclair State History

ken-mallory.jpg

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/news.php?story=Best Wrestlers in Montclair State History

The Monacos, Mallory, Gonzalez, and Guketlov were all NCAA DI All-Americans with Mallory winning it all in 1978.

The best Montclair State wrestlers of all-time have been ranked by NCAA DIII medals!

The top five wrestlers in Red Hawks history won a total of eleven NCAA titles and seventeen medals and include three three-time NCAA champions, a two-time NCAA champion and four-time All-American, and an NCAA champion and four-time All-American!

Here are the top five!

Rank - Name - Score - Medals

#1 - Peter Gonzalez - 54 - 2,3,1,1
#2 - Ken Mallory - 48 - 1,1,1
#2 - John Monaco - 48 - 1,1,1
#2 - Karl Monaco - 48 - 1,1,1
#5 - Eduard Aliakseynka - 47 - 5,1,2,2

There have been 61 All-American wrestlers who have won 96 medals in Montclair State history!

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_diii_team_profile.php?team=Montclair+State

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just sucks Rutgers was so bad back then..These guys are Big Time Division 1 Wrestlers...Sacchi (before Goodale) was just a Debacle for New Jersey
I will agree with Goodale being much better coach than Sachi.

But, the school treated wrestling like an intamural sport pre Goodale imo.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sacchi kept the sport alive at Rutgers with zero admin support and almost no scholarships. When Rutgers started to make a push to join the Big 10, and wrestling was a required sport for membership, suddenly they became fully funded and had the entire admin behind them. Not sure how much of that can be laid at the feet of Sacchi, and how much due to institutional neglect. My guess - at least 90% institutional neglect.

Stupid, too, as NJ has tons of wrestling fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cjc007 said:

I will agree with Goodale being much better coach than Sachi.

But, the school treated wrestling like an intamural sport pre Goodale imo.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
 

Agree with your statement but a lot of that was Sacchi's fault...He wasn't able to sell the program in a crazy popular wrestling state

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Agree with your statement but a lot of that was Sacchi's fault...He wasn't able to sell the program in a crazy popular wrestling state

Do you live in NJ? If not, you have no idea how out of touch the Rutgers admin has been in the past when it comes to all of their sports. Because of that, and because of there being so many opportunities for watching sports in the state, a lot of people, even a 66 year old NJ native and resident as myself, have never followed anything to do with Rutgers. A lot of their past AD's were nothing more than political appointees pushed by the Governor in office at that time.

Finally, with the switch to the Big 10, they are starting to put money into their programs - albeit sometimes stupidly.

Why do you think they hired a local HS coach instead of an accomplished collegiate coach. Partly because of the NJ connection, but do you think any respectable collegiate coach would have trusted the Rutgers admin when they had done their best to bury the sport in the past? I'm glad to see their current success, and hope the program continues to grow. However, I think it's time to start to look for another head coach. No knock on Goodale, just think he's brought them as far as he can.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JAD said:

Do you live in NJ? If not, you have no idea how out of touch the Rutgers admin has been in the past when it comes to all of their sports. Because of that, and because of there being so many opportunities for watching sports in the state, a lot of people, even a 66 year old NJ native and resident as myself, have never followed anything to do with Rutgers. A lot of their past AD's were nothing more than political appointees pushed by the Governor in office at that time.

Finally, with the switch to the Big 10, they are starting to put money into their programs - albeit sometimes stupidly.

Why do you think they hired a local HS coach instead of an accomplished collegiate coach. Partly because of the NJ connection, but do you think any respectable collegiate coach would have trusted the Rutgers admin when they had done their best to bury the sport in the past? I'm glad to see their current success, and hope the program continues to grow. However, I think it's time to start to look for another head coach. No knock on Goodale, just think he's brought them as far as he can.

 

The money started to come in before RU Wrestling joined the B1G because Goodale and his staff broke their humps to change the culture of The State University of New Jersey...He was all over the State and promoting Rutgers...Sacchi never did that...When the administration started seeing the buzz that Goodale created they started supporting the Program...A big crowd during the Sacchi days was 75 non paying fans at the College Avenue gym...Now they are top 5 in attendance every year with thousands of paid fans...Goodale started with 4 scholarships because the previous staff had them on academic probation and he cleaned that up immediately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

The money started to come in before RU Wrestling joined the B1G because Goodale and his staff broke their humps to change the culture of The State University of New Jersey...He was all over the State and promoting Rutgers...Sacchi never did that...When the administration started seeing the buzz that Goodale created they started supporting the Program...A big crowd during the Sacchi days was 75 non paying fans at the College Avenue gym...Now they are top 5 in attendance every year with thousands of paid fans...Goodale started with 4 scholarships because the previous staff had them on academic probation and he cleaned that up immediately 

To be fair to John, John couldn't do all that. He was hired as part time. He still taught at Middlesex CC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bringing it back to Montclair wrestling, I remember Guketlov wrestling for NYU and coach Roger Sanders. How many years did compete for Montclair and when was he D1 AA?

Answered my own question. Guketlov was 5th place in 1975.

Edited by Gambatte
Found the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodale is the best coach to ever be this unwanted by his own.  The man has proven himself and was national coach of the year in 2019.  He is a resounding success and nice to interact with.  I'm not interested in debating the minute details of the successes and failures of his career, but will simply pass along a friendly warning: be careful what you wish for.

I see no indicators, regardless of the pedigree of his eventual successor, that the next guy will deliver more success to the NJ faithful than Scott has.  I could be wrong and there could be an unrealized ceiling to the Rutgers program just waiting to be unlocked by a superstar coach.  I am firmly of the opinion that, while elements of his resume lack some of the sex appeal of some of his peers, you already have your superstar coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...