Jump to content
jmachinder

Karelin in 1999

Recommended Posts

I had heard there was a controversial match that Karelin won at the 1999 World Championships in Greece.  Perhaps it was the semi final against Mureiko of Bulgaria in the semis which is listed as a 2-0 overtime win for Karelin on the UWW database.  The story was to the effect hat Mureiko got his arm raised but then they reviewed the tape and gave the match to Karelin.  Can anyone confirm this?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The match was in 1999. Mureiko got his arm raised as he was awarded the match 1-0 (if I remember right). The Russian immediately challenged the result and after paying for the appeal, the match was rescored 2-0 in favour of Karelin. Karelin also challenged the match he lost to Rulson in the 2000 Games. In this case and given the world-wide coverage the appeal was not pursued. I am sorry that I cannot offer a reference for this story due to losing my database of results. However I have e-mailed UWW today for clarification. I suggest you and everyone on this forum do the same.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, THEMAN said:

The match was in 1999. Mureiko got his arm raised as he was awarded the match 1-0 (if I remember right). The Russian immediately challenged the result and after paying for the appeal, the match was rescored 2-0 in favour of Karelin. Karelin also challenged the match he lost to Rulson in the 2000 Games. In this case and given the world-wide coverage the appeal was not pursued. I am sorry that I cannot offer a reference for this story due to losing my database of results. However I have e-mailed UWW today for clarification. I suggest you and everyone on this forum do the same.     

Rulson?  What kind of dumb hick can’t get Rulon’s name right?  Really?  Go back to your tarp covered trailer!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nom said:

Rulson?  What kind of dumb hick can’t get Rulon’s name right?  Really?  Go back to your tarp covered trailer!  

A typing error. When compared to your complete lack of wrestling history, general intelligence and complete ignorance - I clearly come out tops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, THEMAN said:

A typing error. When compared to your complete lack of wrestling history, general intelligence and complete ignorance - I clearly come out tops. 

@nom meant that in jest, my man.  Nom is good people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...