nom

2021 Henri Deglane Mens Freestyle

Just watched Zahid vs Russian - Ramazanov --- Zahid looked great until he ran out of gas.  Which was basically the 2nd period.  Could tell he was exhausted.  Still managed to get points.  Losing points came off of a head to toe position. Russian over top.  Was able to crank on Zahid's legs and expose his back.  A minute before that American side threw a brick for a pretend reason (it seemed to me) to give Zahid a break.  Had evened score but Zahid was up on criteria.  That last pretty cool tilt lost it for him though.  Guy may be the very best for 2 minutes ... but 6 minutes is too long for him right now.

Edited by nom

Yep, just posted in the other thread.  IMO he was tired before the first period was over, he was already slowing down and restoring to that "lunge from your knees" shooting he was doing against JB.   Amazingly it had some success here, and while I love Zahid's attacking style he's going to have to adjust it on this level.   

For those curious ... for the next hour or two, looks like Mat B has most of the American matches.

5th, 7th, 9th, and 11th matches from now are all Americans. (Green/Yianni/Vito v Gilman/Suriano)

Dake vs Finesilver 9th on Mat A.  That's the only American one I'm seeing for a bit.  I'm sure Finesilver is like WTF ... well at least I'll get pulled back in!

Edited by nom

1 minute ago, Gantry said:

Yep, just posted in the other thread.  IMO he was tired before the first period was over, he was already slowing down and restoring to that "lunge from your knees" shooting he was doing against JB.   Amazingly it had some success here, and while I love Zahid's attacking style he's going to have to adjust it on this level.   

I love the attacking style as well.  But I was nervous after 1 minute that he was going to exhaust himself.  And I also agree that the lunges low are not the best form  It worked a couple times though as he was able to work up to a full lock around the body and lift.  Really impressive.  Wish he could have converted that one to 4 points.  He should figure out how to make sure that happens (easy for me to say).

I'm torn on the challenge, on one hand he was fading fast but you can't challenge something to tie up the score if you lose it.  Especially since it looked like there such small odds of winning it.  Maybe give up the one there for a lunger to to prevent an easy 2 TD counter as Zahid was still shooting while gassed.  But it was the difference in the match. 

Edited by Gantry

1 minute ago, Gantry said:

I'm torn on the challenge, on one hand he was fading fast but you can't challenge something to tie up the score if you lose it.  Especially since it looked like there such small odds of winning it.  Maybe give up the one there for a lunger to to prevent an easy 2 TD counter as Zahid was still shooting while gassed.  But it was the difference in the match. 

Yes -- I figure they were about to get taken down.  Prefer to give up 1 point.  Have a chance to talk to Zahid ... tough call.  But he really did need the break.  A bit cheap.  Is this just Zahid?  Has he always had a gas tank issue?  Can he build up his reserve by OTT?  

I'm pretty sure I remember him fading in a BTS match, I think he's more prone to it in free than folk.  Not being able to ride probably a factor as to why, as he's just so high energy in neutral. 

Then again, I remember him fading against BoJo, Venz and I want to say his in season loss to Mark Hall he got tired too and got ridden a bunch. 

Quentin Sticker - France.  Seems like an American name.  Had some mannerisms and stance that appeared American.  (fist shake, thumbs up) .... just wondering.  Is he American?

Quentin Sticker - France.  Seems like an American name.  Had some mannerisms and stance that appeared American.  (fist shake, thumbs up) .... just wondering.  Is he American?

Green up 3-0 end of first.   Destribats tried an arm throw to start.  Didn't work, Green got behind.  But no points ... called it a slip I guess.  Seemed like Green actively countered it.  He was pulling Green over.  

Green in good control now.  TD and a turn.  and another!  But didn't give him the 2nd turn.  Might have missed something as I type. 7-0 now.  Green looks good.  Getting to legs.  Showing good position.  Looks slick.  Another TD 9-0.  Let's go!!  

1:20 left to go.  In again .... adjusting.  Blown dead ... And again ... on one leg.  Gets the TD  11-0 win.  Dominated.  Nice job James!

Dake's match and the Vito/Gilman match potentially on at same time.  Both on triple deck.  Suriano's match is two after Vito's .... after that, looks like no Americans for a while.  

Edited by nom

By the way, anyone else get this error about 20 minutes ago?

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

User 452293_usawrest already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

Yianni up!!  Vs Bienkowski - Poland.

Double leg, turn ..another turn?. was off screen for a bit. has lace but can't get it as they go OOB.  4-0.  5:23 to go.  Ref puts Pol down as he was trying to get OOB.  On start, Pol grabs Yianni's left wrist and holds it.  Yianni shaking it.  Ref does nothing.  Restart on ground again though.  Yianni can't get turn.  On feet.  Yianni the clear aggressor.  Pol blocking off. has a two on one, Yianni shakes it off.  Hmm, score says 6-0 now.  Yianni TD  8-0.  Did they take a bit to get a 2nd turn on the board from earlier?  Maybe.  

2nd period.  Pol in on a leg.  Yianni of course is threatening.  and guy won't let go of leg.  Yianni adjusts and turns him anyway.  10-0.

Khinch ( Geo) vs Semisrow (Germany) - Germany in but Khinch gets to a leg. eventually PD I think.  Khinch with a clever turn from a neutral tie up.  MIssed the exact nature as I type this for the thousands that are reading.  Germany tries an arm throw, slip ruled.  Khinch drives to edge.  Germany grounds, but then tries to do a move and stands up, clearly out of bounds and tries to get behind Khinch.  ref lets it go.  NO points at all.  Seems like a step out point awarded to Khinch was deserved.   Restart. Khinch then with TD and a turn.  6-0.  

2nd period.  Germany gets behind Khinch in quad pod.  Uses foot and very cleverly almost freaking gets Germany on step out.  Germany barely avoids it.  So clever.  Instead once Khinch's foot goes out, whistle blown.  6-1.  I think Germany wanted a bit more time to try to get Khinch down. Over.

Aside - I find it interesting how Germany has very different names .... Alllemagne (French), Germany (here), Deutschland (there).  Probably more.

Vito vs Gilman!!!!!  Let's go VITO!!!

Gilman moving forward.  Vito shots, gets to leg but backs out.  Vito warned for passivity.  HARD club by Gilman.  Ref talks to Gilman.  Gilman warned for passivity.  Eye poke on Vito.  Vito goes, misses.  Neutral.  Gilman goes, misses.  Vito on clock now.  Vito goes.  gets lock.  LIFTS.  Runs Gilman out.  1-0 Vito.  Gilman with underhook. Driving.  Vito trying to avoid OOB. Vito whips around.  Nearly gets a TD but Gilman also quick.  OOB ruled grounded.  End of first.  1-0 Vito.

Vito in again.  Has leg.  2-0 on stepout.  Gilman in now.  Gets the 2 after some scramble.  2-2 but Gilman has criteria. Vito in.  But .... no, backs out.  Vito in again, but no.  

Vito hands.  But Gilman in.  Gilman TD.  Then gets a gut.  Gets the turn. Damn.  6-2 Gilman.  Interestingly, I saw Vito stick a foot out while in quad. Seemed like on purpose.  But ref let it go.  Vito goes with short time but nothing.  Gilman wins 6-2.  

3 minutes ago, nom said:

Yianni up!!  Vs Bienkowski - Poland.

Double leg, turn ..another turn?. was off screen for a bit. has lace but can't get it as they go OOB.  4-0.  5:23 to go.  Ref puts Pol down as he was trying to get OOB.  On start, Pol grabs Yianni's left wrist and holds it.  Yianni shaking it.  Ref does nothing.  Restart on ground again though.  Yianni can't get turn.  On feet.  Yianni the clear aggressor.  Pol blocking off. has a two on one, Yianni shakes it off.  Hmm, score says 6-0 now.  Yianni TD  8-0.  Did they take a bit to get a 2nd turn on the board from earlier?  Maybe.  

2nd period.  Pol in on a leg.  Yianni of course is threatening.  and guy won't let go of leg.  Yianni adjusts and turns him anyway.  10-0.

In this match and his match with Ashnault he scored so many more offensive points than in the past, feels like he’s moving to another level. 

1 minute ago, nom said:

Vito vs Gilman!!!!!  Let's go VITO!!!

Gilman moving forward.  Vito shots, gets to leg but backs out.  Vito warned for passivity.  HARD club by Gilman.  Ref talks to Gilman.  Gilman warned for passivity.  Eye poke on Vito.  Vito goes, misses.  Neutral.  Gilman goes, misses.  Vito on clock now.  Vito goes.  gets lock.  LIFTS.  Runs Gilman out.  1-0 Vito.  Gilman with underhook. Driving.  Vito trying to avoid OOB. Vito whips around.  Nearly gets a TD but Gilman also quick.  OOB ruled grounded.  End of first.  1-0 Vito.

Vito in again.  Has leg.  2-0 on stepout.  Gilman in now.  Gets the 2 after some scramble.  2-2 but Gilman has criteria. Vito in.  But .... no, backs out.  Vito in again, but no.  

Vito hands.  But Gilman in.  Gilman TD.  Then gets a gut.  Gets the turn. Damn.  6-2 Gilman.  Interestingly, I saw Vito stick a foot out while in quad. Seemed like on purpose.  But ref let it go.  Vito goes with short time but nothing.  Gilman wins 6-2.  

Speaking of steps outs, I thought Gilman should have gotten 1 pt near the end of period 1 but nothing. 

Vito VS Gilman : who thought (hoped?) Vito would take him out? I did. I think I will forever underestimate Gilman. What is it about him?

Despite all his accomplishments, when Gilman wins I tend to think less of the other guy as opposed to more or him, as in “oh, I thought Vito was better than that”. My brain can’t give poor Thomas credit.